Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ford is really bad about inflating their sticker price and then having a “sale” they will come off it a lot.

Look at the xl and xlt trims. The electronic stuff really drives the price up.

NEVER go into the dealer without having the financing lined up first.
Yes Ford did the pricing boost a few yrs ago.
Yeah its a poor approach but their profits showed buyers fell for it.

My wifes car had the tough high ie obsurd pricing. But I called our local dealer the worst of 10 in our area. I simply said hey I’ll be there in 30 minutes for Xcolor, trim etc I’m paying invoice. He laughed and I said ok fine I’ll head over to your competitor then. He says hang on. Calls me back in 5 minutes and says OK wrappers being pulled off come get it. Prior to that all 10 dealers were telling me MSRP for 1yr old old stock lot queens. I got current release at invoice. LOL

Money talks

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Someone start a Fullsize vs LMTV thread!

Especially the M1079's. Do you know how big of a Caterpillar sticker I could put on the box of one of those? Much gnashing of teeth in the Cummins campground then.

maxresdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I have provided proof points (bigger brakes, bigger rear diff, bigger tow hitch components, lower gearing)...you just don't seem to consider any of them valid...which is fine.

It seems that your "experience" is no more credible than mine. I've driven both as well. The Tundra did not "feel" any less capable when towing similar loads than did the F-150...but we're well beyond objective stats comparison at this point.

The F-150 can no doubt stop in a shorter distance, when empty...it's a lighter truck. The relevant question is how both (Tundra and F-150) compare when towing and stopping a heavy load.

As for the tunability of the 2.3l ecoboost...that's great to hear that the tuner and mustang crowds are having fun with it. High horsepower engine tuning and overlanding really don't belong in the same sentence...but if you want to test the waters, go right ahead.

1. No one is saying that the Tundra does not have larger brakes, ring gear, or hitch. What numerous people are saying is that size does not in any way mean they are stronger. Every aspect of the Tundra is rated to do less and it's performance numbers also dispell your points. The Tundra uses decade old materials and design... This might be news to you... But better materials and designs are available today. Remind me... Which truck has a fully boxed frame?

2. The F150 has a 10 speed with a low 1st gear, it has zero use for the lower rear diff gears that the Tundra actually needs. If you get either EcoBoost then it makes low gears even less useful.

3. That's cute, you have "driven"both. I own a 2017 F150 and have had a 2013 and 2016 as work trucks. I have owned a 2002 and 2014 Tundra. I have hauled the same loads and same trailers with both the F150 and Tundra. The F150 outperformed the Tundra with out any doubt. Don't take my word for it though, there are plenty of news articles and YouTube videos that drive the point home. Or, go to damn near any camp ground and talk to F150 owners. There is no shortage of guys that have ditched their Tundra for an F150 because of the towing performance and fuel economy.

4. I never once said that the Tundra was in any way inadequate. Just because the F150 is better in no way implies that the Tundra is a bad truck. If an Olympic athlete is faster than me in the 400M does that automatically imply that I am slow, or that he is simply faster than me? This is not a zero sum game.

5. I have pulled the exact same travel trailer with My F150 and a Tundra, the F150 hands down stops it in a shorter distance, with less fade, and less peddle travel required. It also accelerates with far less effort and pulls hills with ease. Same trailer, same roads, same amount of people and cargo.

6. There is zero proof or reason to say that tuning the 2.3 will have negative effects. As I have said numerous times on this forum, you'll exceed the flow of the stock HPFP long before you will compromise the motor.
As for overlanding and tuning: when someone adds a lift kit and larger tires its far cheaper (~$400) to tune the motor and increase the power than it is to regear. You can have more low end power with no compromises... Try that with a naturally aspirated motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bkg

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Mine was 32k out the door... My brothers was over 70k... It all depends on which one you buy. You can easily get a super crew, 4x4, XLT for under 40k with out even haggling the dealership.

Yeah, I see pricing to be fairly comparable between Ford and Toyota trucks. At least for what I’ve been looking at (lower trims). Ram is priced lower. Didn’t even care to check GM.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, I see pricing to be fairly comparable between Ford and Toyota trucks. At least for what I’ve been looking at (lower trims). Ram is priced lower. Didn’t even care to check GM.

Where Ford comes out on top is rebates.

tacollie

Glamper
Or, go to damn near any camp ground and talk to F150 owners. There is no shortage of guys that have ditched their Tundra for an F150 because of the towing performance and fuel economy.
I know a guy who replaced a 16' F150 with a Tundra and a guy who replaced a 18' F150 with a Tundra. Both did because their F150 left them stranded multiple times. Maybe Toyota builds the Tundra for people who ended up with F150s that came off the line at 4:55 on Friday ?

In Colorado everyone's is selling their Toyotas to buy Sprinters.

Dalko43

Explorer
1. No one is saying that the Tundra does not have larger brakes, ring gear, or hitch. What numerous people are saying is that size does not in any way mean they are stronger. Every aspect of the Tundra is rated to do less and it's performance numbers also dispell your points. The Tundra uses decade old materials and design... This might be news to you... But better materials and designs are available today. Remind me... Which truck has a fully boxed frame?

So what is your proof that the F-150 uses lighter/smaller but still "better" materials? The Tundra is rated to tow/haul less, but it uses beefier components...my point is that ratings (even those using SAE methods) don't always live up to reality. There is absolutely nothing about the Tundra's chassis that is weak or under-engineered as compared to what's on the F-150's chassis.

Tundra's frame is C-channel, but so was the previous gen F-250/350's...is anyone going to argue that the current F-150's frame is more robust by comparison simply because it is boxed?

2. The F150 has a 10 speed with a low 1st gear, it has zero use for the lower rear diff gears that the Tundra actually needs. If you get either EcoBoost then it makes low gears even less useful.

The higher gearing with the ecoboost makes sense. The higher gearing with v8 (which is a similar approach that the other 2 domestic OEM's take), doesn't make as much sense. At least with their v8's, most OEM's are trading off low-end torque delivery for fuel economy....the Tundra takes a different approach. I'd rather rely on appropriate gearing than constant transmission shifting to get good torque delivery.

3. That's cute, you have "driven"both. I own a 2017 F150 and have had a 2013 and 2016 as work trucks. I have owned a 2002 and 2014 Tundra. I have hauled the same loads and same trailers with both the F150 and Tundra. The F150 outperformed the Tundra with out any doubt. Don't take my word for it though, there are plenty of news articles and YouTube videos that drive the point home. Or, go to damn near any camp ground and talk to F150 owners. There is no shortage of guys that have ditched their Tundra for an F150 because of the towing performance and fuel economy.

That's great, your experiences are 1/1. Lots of other people have worked the Tundra and F-150 side by side and don't share your opinion.

6. There is zero proof or reason to say that tuning the 2.3 will have negative effects. As I have said numerous times on this forum, you'll exceed the flow of the stock HPFP long before you will compromise the motor.
As for overlanding and tuning: when someone adds a lift kit and larger tires its far cheaper (~$400) to tune the motor and increase the power than it is to regear. You can have more low end power with no compromises... Try that with a naturally aspirated motor.

There are compromises with engine tuning...you're just aren't being honest with yourself. Gearing, tires, lift, ect. are the type of things that an overlander or offroader might look to tweak....the engine is generally best off if its left stock. The aftermarket and garage tuners do not have nearly the same amount of experience and knowledge that the OEM engineers do. But like I said, it's the owner's call.

D

Deleted member 9101

I know a guy who replaced a 16' F150 with a Tundra and a guy who replaced a 18' F150 with a Tundra. Both did because their F150 left them stranded multiple times. Maybe Toyota builds the Tundra for people who ended up with F150s that came off the line at 4:55 on Friday ?

In Colorado everyone's is selling their Toyotas to buy Sprinters.

When you look at the statistics, the F150 trails the Tundra in reliability by a small margin.... Buuuut since they sell 7-8 F150s for every one Tundra that's to be expected.

D

Deleted member 9101

I think I had a $6000 end of year rebate on mine.

Some assorted Dodge dealers have $10,000 off at least. Half way there already:

Watch that price plummet in 6 months.

I bought mine in November and got a 9k rebate for financing with Ford. I gladly took the rebate and then paid the loan off six months later, six payments at 3.9% was worth a 9k rebate. I also got 500.00 for being an EMT and 500.00 for being in the military. So, they basically took 10k off the sticker price before we even started negotiating. I ended up at ~32k out the door. Not to shabby for a brand new, four door, full size truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles