Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Adventurer
Who cares about reliability when the classics were filled with pure steel and sex appeal. There is nothing catchy like that for a blotted chunk of "military-grade" aluminum with lots of dials, switches.

Better question, in 30 years at your local car show are our modern cars going to be there or will people still be bringing High Boys and K5s.

For the record, if you dropped a 3.5EB in a High Boy, I would stop and chat. Old sheet metal is just so sexy.

nickw

Adventurer
I'm still trying to figure out who pulls out the calculator to figure a breakeven analysis when buying a new truck for personal use. Who are these crazy people? Do those same people perform the same analysis over their Corvettes or their wife's Expedition?

I just build what I WANT on the website and show up to the dealer with a printout to make a deal. I think most people are the same. If a few thousand here or there breaks a deal for you, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. Especially since most of the guys on here are probably financing that heap over 60 or 72 months and that diesel actually costs you only another $100 a month.
Presumably your WANT is driven by your NEED?

Some of the most well off folks I've known over the years are the first ones to pull out their calculators and haggle over $1. Some of the least well off folks I've known over the years are also the most willing to spend and don't give a $&*#. That may explain the situations they are both in, not a rule (of course), but my experience.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm still trying to figure out who pulls out the calculator to figure a breakeven analysis when buying a new truck for personal use. Who are these crazy people? Do those same people perform the same analysis over their Corvettes or their wife's Expedition?

I just build what I WANT on the website and show up to the dealer with a printout to make a deal. I think most people are the same. If a few thousand here or there breaks a deal for you, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. Especially since most of the guys on here are probably financing that heap over 60 or 72 months and that diesel actually costs you only another $100 a month.

I do! I paid cash for my truck and I counted every single penny. I did the same thing for my wife's car and even my house. Sounds like you need to hang out with people who are more financially responsible.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Dude... I'm kind of excited for a hybrid truck that's worth a sh¡t. Diesel is on it's was out for non commercial vehicles around the world. With the increased power, longevity, and reliability of gas engines and the hoops that diesels have to jump through to meet emissions standards... they are probably near the end of their usefullness for most consumers.

Also, when Ford and GM developed their new 10 speed, they spent a combined billion dollars and then Ford took it a step further and developed a heavy duty version for their larger trucks. Toyota would never be able to turn a profit due to the massive development cost since they would be starting from scratch. Trying to compete with the "big 3" in an area that they have decades of experience would be far to risky for Toyota. Hell, they had to partner with BMW and Subaru just to be able to make something that resembles a sports car... The odds of them making a diesel truck for the US market are nill...lol.

You are correct though... People complain about vehicles that they will neber be able to afford....haha.

Lexus/Toyota are arguably at the pinnacle of precision automotive engineering... And you honestly think they couldn't build a 10 speed slush box, or at the very least sign a service agreement with someone else for a big fat check? (FWIW, the Aisin autos from yesteryear are shared by Jeep and Toyota... :eek:)

They likely never will bring a diesel to market here. Why does this BS keep coming up? Build a bridge and drive your Ecoboost over it.

EDIT: Jnich liked my comment and now I feel like an ************. That sports car comment triggered me (living in the past of my beloved Japanese sports cars...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Lexus/Toyota are arguably at the pinnacle of precision automotive engineering... And you honestly think they couldn't build a 10 speed slush box, or at the very least sign a service agreement with someone else for a big fat check? (FWIW, the Aisin autos from yesteryear are shared by Jeep and Toyota... :eek:)

They likely never will bring a diesel to market here. Why does this BS keep coming up? Build a bridge and drive your Ecoboost over it.

I'm not saying they couldn't build one (although the tranny in the Tacoma and Camry tends to say so) just that they would never make the investment in something that will never pay for it's self. Toyota is not a company that likes to takes risk. Their full size truck sales are not a large segment of their market share and a billion+ dollar investment into it would be silly.

Besides, as proven by this thread, when it comes down to it...all Toyota owners care about is the fact that they drive a Toyota, nothing else seems to matter.

As for the diesel comment, I am not the one that keeps crying about it... You might want to go chastise the diesel fan boy club.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Overall this thread is interesting to me... Because this is the exact dilemma I'll face in the next 5-6 years when I buy a new truck.

I think I was speaking more to the overall thread than you specifically, when it comes to diesel. It's a moot point, and that horse died like 2 months ago.

D

Deleted member 9101

Overall this thread is interesting to me... Because this is the exact dilemma I'll face in the next 5-6 years when I buy a new truck.

I was awash with this dilemma two years ago. I made a spread sheet and started comparing trucks and highlighting what mattered most (MPG, crash test ratings, performance mods, interior comfort) as well as things that I could care less about ( 4x4, lockers, diesel, ground clearance, depreciation). For me the F150 came out on top by a wide margin. If I changed my requirements, my choice of truck could very well have been different.

Edit: one of my goals is to keep my current truck for 20 years, so I bought one with out all the bells and whistles that can cause expensive repairs later on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marine

Adventurer
No, we all agreed like 20 pages ago that Tundra's are the worst because their extended cab door handles are weird.

Since this is a "vs" thread though it just evolved into a diesel vs gas with a side of who has more money. You can probably find the missing link on page 15 or 16.

********, thanks Doc you gave me a good laugh. ?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I was awash with this dilemma two years ago. I made a spread sheet and started comparing trucks and highlighting what mattered most (MPG, crash test ratings, performance mods, interior comfort) as well as things that I could care less about ( 4x4, lockers, diesel, ground clearance, depreciation). For me the F150 came out on top by a wide margin. If I changed my requirements, my choice of truck could very well have been different.

Edit: one of my goals is to keep my current truck for 20 years, so I bought one with out all the bells and whistles that can cause expensive repairs later on.

I misread this... I thought you said that you bought one WITH all the bells and whistles, haha.

Interestingly enough, with the 6th gen 4runner looming, my wife asked why we didn't wait another year to get all the new stuff. My response was that I wanted to keep a 4runner for 20+ years. Once she's done with it, it's mine anyways. She likes shiny, I like simple and reliable. Little things like no automatic climate control bug her.

D

Deleted member 9101

I misread this... I thought you said that you bought one WITH all the bells and whistles, haha.

Interestingly enough, with the 6th gen 4runner looming, my wife asked why we didn't wait another year to get all the new stuff. My response was that I wanted to keep a 4runner for 20+ years. Once she's done with it, it's mine anyways. She likes shiny, I like simple and reliable. Little things like no automatic climate control bug her.

Lol... Dual climate control is a "must" for my wife....I totally get the struggle....haha.

Dalko43

Explorer
Guess you missed the part where the diesel cost roughly 8-10k more than an equivalent gasser, and then it cost more for maintenance, insurance, repairs, and fuel. The math simply does not work out in a modern diesels favor. The fleet manger for my agency ran the numbers out to 300k and the 6.2 gas was far cheaper to operate per mile than the 6.7 powerstroke. Will the powerstroke pull better, yes... Will it cost thousands more over its life time to operate...also yes.

The problem is that you, like many others on here, haven't actually done the math to prove that out. If you actually breakdown the annual maintenance for diesel (not the catastrophic breakdown stories that some like to talk about), you're looking at spending a few hundred extra dollars per year at the most...arguably the difference will be less if you resort to DIY maintenance.

Diesel fuel costs more in some areas, less in others. The periodic maintenance costs can be higher, but they arguably enable the vehicle to last much longer than the average gasoline vehicle (especially under true working conditions). What makes sense for you, might not make sense for someone else....

So the bottom line is:
- No one here has a mental deficiency.
- There are no widespread fallacies on this topic, rather just different points of view.
- The Tundra is one of the few gasoline trucks I'd consider owning for the long term...what it lacks in technological innovation, it more than makes up for with reliability and robustness.

There, I brought the thread back on topic...

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Modern diesel regular maintenance really isn't bad until you need to start replacing injectors - which seems to happen far too soon IMO, perhaps inadequate OEM fuel filtration.

Thousands of dollars to rebuild or replace injectors at under 200k miles seems ridiculous to me. Always had good luck with my diesels but not sure I'll own another unless I'm towing long and hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles