Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrflyer

Hey guys I asked in domestic...

But im Looking to upgrade from my 4Runner..... Im gonna space for 3 kids in car seats so the runners getting a bit small.

So I’m looking at F150s and Tundras. Ford 5.0 vs tundra 5.7 both large crew cabs and 4wd.

Ford has locker and a bit better mpg, I had really good luck with my older 4Runner mechanically so I do like Toyota for longeticity and Mx.

No hardcore wheeling, family adventure wagon, fire roads, etc....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I have a tundra and I love it. The 5.7 is a 6 bolt main under square motor. Everyone praises Chevy for keeping the 350 the same for 59 some years. But they slam Toyota for not changing the 5.7. The tundra still has the biggest rear axle of all half tons. The wheel bearings are bigger than on f250s.

rruff

Explorer
Ford has locker and a bit better mpg, I had really good luck with my older 4Runner mechanically so I do like Toyota for longeticity and Mx.

The resale on the Tundra will more than make up for any fuel cost. In the real world they are ~1mpg different. And they are still far more reliable than any other make. One advantage of not changing much since 2007 I guess...

Are you planning any upgrades? What trim? I drove 500 miles to get a Tundra SR off the lot with a $5k discount, but I have a feeling you might get a better deal on a Ford if you shop around.

rruff

Explorer
Transferflow and LRA make 46gal tanks for the Tundra too. They run ~$1500. One thing I like about the SR ghetto model is the shifter on the tree. There was a silly thing missing with the lack of intermittent wipers but that was a 5 min fix. Also needed remote locks but that isn't a big deal either and most dealers will install them. I tend to favor going with the low spec model and just upgrading what I want aftermarket. There is plenty of aftermarket support for the Tundra. I paid $31,200 BTW, in Oct 2016.

rrflyer

Transferflow and LRA make 46gal tanks for the Tundra too. They run ~$1500. One thing I like about the SR ghetto model is the shifter on the tree. There was a silly thing missing with the lack of intermittent wipers but that was a 5 min fix. Also needed remote locks but that isn't a big deal either and most dealers will install them. I tend to favor going with the low spec model and just upgrading what I want aftermarket. There is plenty of aftermarket support for the Tundra. I paid $31,200 BTW, in Oct 2016.

I haven’t seen any crewmax srmodels available..... I’ll have to look

rruff

Explorer
I haven’t seen any crewmax srmodels available..... I’ll have to look
Looks like they don't exist. They make you upgrade if you want the crewmax. You can get the SR5 without the upgrade package and retain the column shifter, but that has the bigger tank. I think Ford will give you more options. The rear seat on the DC is actually pretty big, and I think you could put a car seat in the front center too. Don't know if that would work for you though.

tacollie

Glamper
You can order stuff individually with Ford. Toyota doesn't let you. It was one of my gripes looking at used F-150s. Everyone was different. I like The space the column shifter gives but the console shifter better for manually shifting. My biggest company with my Tundra is reaching the cup holders with my t-rex arms ?

jkron

Observer
I'm gonna go against the grain here, and this is just my opinion. I would chose the Ford over my tundra anyday. Ford has really stepped it up where as Toyota has lagged. I own a 2012 Tundra Rock Warrior supercharged. It's been good so far. But it leaves a lot to be desired. I have been a Toyota guy my whole life. Owned 5 other toyotas. But man has Toyota ridden on the coattails of their success and become complacent. I drive a Ford as a company vehicle, and when it comes to replace the tundra it most certainly will be a Ford. The e-locker and the ability to order exactly what you want are what I really like. Not stuck ordering what options Toyota says i can and cannot have.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
If I were you I would also look into a Nissan Titian. They do come with a factory locker and good mighty 5.7 engine. Good room and amazing seats.

As for the tundras what’s the point of buying it nowadays? Toyota is working on a next generation, which is probably gonna come out in next year.

Also keep in mind the tundra’s safety ratings are not good.

I myself am waiting for the new tundra. Then I’ll have to pick between a tundra or ford awd transit.

Sheers.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If I were you I would also look into a Nissan Titian. They do come with a factory locker and good mighty 5.7 engine. Good room and amazing seats.

As for the tundras what’s the point of buying it nowadays? Toyota is working on a next generation, which is probably gonna come out in next year.

Also keep in mind the tundra’s safety ratings are not good.

I myself am waiting for the new tundra. Then I’ll have to pick between a tundra or ford awd transit.

Sheers.

The test must have changed. Up until recently it received good scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles