Tundra UTE Flatbed Build Begins

HNewman

If you are not familiar with UTE brand flat beds here is some background:

Built in Australia where this type of bed is commonly referred to as a tray (regular bed being a tub). Another common brand you will see that is also imported is Norweld. Down in that region these trays are not only used for commercial business but also for the base of sick off-road builds.

Nobody seems to have posted much in the way of flatbeds on the 1st Gen Tundra so far. The flatbed is not the only modification I plan to accomplish, however it will be a defining feature of this truck and the base I build form. So here we go!

I am building on a 2006 Tundra I bought with some body damage, just over 100k on the clock, and a super clean frame.

Bought the tray from Randy at UTE Ltd out of Seattle and it was shipped to Alaska on a barge. If your looking into a bed I highly recommend ordering from Randy. Lots of options to choose from and he can help you decide what you want.

Here is what I am starting with...

pgyPtAg.jpg

wMHMDpi.jpg

First off a basic round of maintenance and some modest suspension modifications.

-Shocks, springs, differential drop, upper control arms, and inner CV boot clamp mod. Added 2.5 inches up front and 2" in the rear. However I believe the rear was pretty saggy to begin with

Skid was easy to drop on the back of the truck with a forklift at the time of pick up.

CHOYvyW.jpg

Removing the old bed with just two people would be really tough if you were trying not to damage it in the process. Those bed bolts are a pain and the torx bit was a waiste of money. Welded some old nuts on top and that was the ticket to break them loose. After that its just the fuel filler and the tail light wiring to disconnect. Don't forget to unbolt the bracket supporting the fuel filler so you can bend it out of the way.

The primary bed install is pretty simple with two mounting plates going on the frame before you set the main deck on top. Once positioned you can mount the headache rack. Find a good spot and drill holes in the deck to bolt to the brackets.

zou2byb.jpg

Assembling the bed sides is as simple as bolting on the hinges. All holes are pre-drilled here.

RpOwPtr.jpg

wdTs6d2.jpg

Ur4ZFQL.jpg

So there you have it. Main portions of the bed installed. In the next few days I will wire up the lights and install the fenders. I will need to come up with a custom solution for the fuel filler neck at some point as well.

I would be happy to share a more detailed description of what it takes to get this install together.

HNewman

The original bed on your truck has to be the ugliest bed ever to leave the factory. This tray is awesome and much better than the original.

Thanks! It really made it easier to send the factory bed to the scrap pile. I hope someone grafts that bed onto a PT cruiser some day. Would make a sick gambler 500 build.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I am doing the same on my 03 trd, but was going to spring mount my flatbed in 4 corners. My flatbed poptopper will be less than 250lbs any reason why you chose fixed to frame?
Kevin

Toyaddict

Looks good, nice seeing more 1st gens with flatbeds. Especially trucks that previously had the hideous stepside bed like yours and mine. I couldn't get my stock bed off quick enough. 684F766A-635F-498D-8E94-22EA7E62B39F.jpeg

Reactions: WVI

HNewman

I am doing the same on my 03 trd, but was going to spring mount my flatbed in 4 corners. My flatbed poptopper will be less than 250lbs any reason why you chose fixed to frame?
Kevin

Well I suppose I haven't ever seen a truck bed mounted any other way then direct bolt to the frame. Looks like I'll have to learn about spring mounting. Fixed to frame has always seemed to work alright.

HNewman

Looks good, nice seeing more 1st gens with flatbeds. Especially trucks that previously had the hideous stepside bed like yours and mine. I couldn't get my stock bed off quick enough. View attachment 679482

Great looking truck! Seems we share the same taste. I've got the about same wheels ready to go on with my new tires. Hopefully get those on this week.

Where did you find your tool boxes? I'm trying to decide on a set for myself. They look like some I have come across on CHR racing. I'm struggling to find a box sized to fit between the cab and rear axle.

Toyaddict

Great looking truck! Seems we share the same taste. I've got the about same wheels ready to go on with my new tires. Hopefully get those on this week.

Where did you find your tool boxes? I'm trying to decide on a set for myself. They look like some I have come across on CHR racing. I'm struggling to find a box sized to fit between the cab and rear axle.
Thanks, I found them on ebay a few years ago. Back then the selection outside of Australia was extremely small. Hopefully there are more options available for you. I have concluded I'll either have to build some front boxes or have them custom made. If I could fit a trundle tray somewhat easily id be thrilled.

HNewman

Thanks, I found them on ebay a few years ago. Back then the selection outside of Australia was extremely small. Hopefully there are more options available for you. I have concluded I'll either have to build some front boxes or have them custom made. If I could fit a trundle tray somewhat easily id be thrilled.

I feel like the trundle as a do it yourself project would be fairly straightforward after getting a look at the space under my bed. I'm thinking small space between the cab and rear wheel could have a small rectangular box with a piece trim to shape the wheel well on a nice angle like the rear box.

HNewman

Depends on your pod weight and how much the frame flexes
KevinView attachment 679497

Wow that's quite a set up. Is the idea to allow the frame to flex the same way it would from the factory? Reduce some stress on all the components involved? Does this help with longevity when running a heavy rig off road frequently?

I have herd of flatbeds mounted at two points in the front and one single point at the rear to allow for more flex under stress.

HNewman

UPDATE:

Mounted tail lights, trimmed factory bumper, swapped wheels

iz6PyhD.jpg

YWh9mMs.jpg

oaHChNp.jpg

I would like to build a custom hitch and bumper combo in the future with better clearance. I view this as more of a temporary solution. Drilling the bed frame rails to mount the brackets is the only drilling required to mount the bed. I was able to do this with a simple 1/2" bit but it is tough stuff.

Fenders and mud flaps go on next.

HNewman

The white steelies look great. Did you get them that way or did you have to paint them white?

I painted them white. My previous tundra was white and I liked the white on white look. Now I'm not sure if i would like to change the color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles