Tundra TRD Pro for first overland vehicle?

Dalko43

Explorer
Quite honestly, the Tundra sounds like it fits all your needs. It's reliable, long-lasting, holds its value and will certainly have no issue carrying a lighter-weight camper.

To the point others make about getting a 3/4 ton gasser: If you don't need that much capability then I don't see the point in paying for it.

The fuel costs will be higher, despite what some claim. Unless you're comparing a bottom-level stock F250 or Ram 2500, the Tundra will cost less to buy.
Tundra is slightly smaller as well...not by much, but every little bit counts when driving around on crowded streets or tight trails.

If you're going to actually be carrying payload and towing loads that are in excess of the Tundra's ratings, by all means get a 3/4 ton. But don't buy into the hype that you should get one just because...they are big and thirsty vehicles, even compared to the Tundra.

rruff

Explorer
To this point, in many, if not most cases; a 3/4 ton gasser would be cheaper.

Why would that be? I just priced the cheapest 4wd DC long Tundra and the cheapest comparable F250, and the Ford was ~$3k more and not as well equipped.

Big difference in depreciation, too.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Why would that be? I just priced the cheapest 4wd DC long Tundra and the cheapest comparable F250, and the Ford was ~$3k more and not as well equipped.

Big difference in depreciation, too.

ill give you the depreciation aspect, thts true for sure. Toyota’s in general hold their value much better than others.

The big 3 are offering ridiculous deals and pricing right now.

They just closed it, but Ford was offering 0% for 84 months.

A savy shopper would save more than 3k for sure. Deals with the big 3 are plentiful, they are almost non existent with Toyota’s.

Also, add up the MPG difference and within a year, if OP drives alot, would probably make most of that $ back

rruff

Explorer
Also, add up the MPG difference and within a year, if OP drives alot, would probably make most of that $ back

F250 gas vs a Tundra? Don't think there would be any advantage at all. I'm also not seeing big discounts on F250s, at least not in the low end spec. I got my Tundra for $31.2k (~$5k off msrp).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
F250 gas vs a Tundra? Don't think there would be any advantage at all. I'm also not seeing big discounts on F250s, at least not in the low end spec. I got my Tundra for $31.2k (~$5k off msrp).

don’t think there’s any advantage as far as what?

There’s a ton of them (see what i did there?)

My 2014 Tundra DC was one of my favorite vehicles I’ve ever owned.

But now that my needs have changed, close to what RP is asking about, the Tundra is most definitely not the ideal platform, for many reasons, stated above.

You love your Tundra, cool, I get it, I did too.

Then we move on...

D

Deleted member 9101

The gas F250 (with either gas engine) can tow more, haul more, has better brakes, larger everything under it, soild front axle, bullet proof drive train, same crappy ride quality, and gets the same lousy gas mileage as the Tundra.

Wait for a sale and it will be cheaper than a Tundra. Ford took 13k off MSRP when I bought my F150, making it cheaper than a similarly equipped Tundra or Tacoma.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Exactly, I loved both of my Tundras.... But when it came time for my latest truck, the Tundra cost more and did nothing better than the trucks from the big three.

Exactly my point...

I’ve been a loyal toyota owner all my life and had not once ever had an issue.

They are completely behind the times in MANY aspects in today’s truck world. They have some fancy whiz bang gizmos that appeal to the younger, or newer to the truck life folks, but that’s about where it ends.

It most definitely wasn’t an easy choice for me to go Domestic (my first time ever) but Toyota just doesn’t compete if truck is used as a truck and needs to haul more than hay

rruff

Explorer
Ford offers 10k off all the time.

If you can show me a 4wd F250 extended with 8' bed <$35k that would be helpful. Would go higher if it comes with a 4.3 ratio and locker, or 7.3L and 10spd. I've been shopping!... but haven't seen any that cheap.

don’t think there’s any advantage as far as what?

MPG... what I quoted.

I wouldn't say I'm in love with my Tundra. Mine defintiely doesn't have "whiz bang gizmos"! But the other big trucks don't impress me either. I would have preferred an updated larger version of the '84 and '86 pickups I had.

For my needs (light camper hauling) the Tundra is sufficient. If I was to buy something else it would be an F250 because it could comfortably haul more weight, and can be configured with a higher ratio and locker which is nice. Don't think it would be cheaper to own, though.

D

Deleted member 9101

If you can show me a 4wd F250 extended with 8' bed <$35k that would be helpful. Would go higher if it comes with a 4.3 ratio and locker, or 7.3L and 10spd. I've been shopping!... but haven't seen any that cheap.

My local dealership (Mullinax Ford) puts them on sale every quarter. If you're not in a hurry, just wait until they offer rebates.

Sticker on a XL extended cab 4x4 is in the low 40's, so they'll let them go for around 35ish with out to muxh fuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles