Tundra TRD Pro for first overland vehicle?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah, and it sucks

I’m still pretty baffled they don’t offer a Cummins version or at least a 3500 version

would be one of the best selling trucks ever

I really hope the get spanked by Tremor sales so they will be forced to re work the PW and accommodate a Cummins and a higher payload. I'm no truck designer but it cant be THAT hard. A showdown between a Tremor and a PW would be Epic

phsycle

Adventurer
If I were full timing it I don't think I would go with a pop up camper. If were full timing I would cough up the money for a nicer one of course that would mean a 1 ton at minimum. If full timing it you are going to be loaded a lot more than you think. I think I would still go with the class B RV especially if doing a lot of moving around as mpg will be far better.

Because we’re on ExPo, I’d imagine the OP would want to get off the beaten path now and then. Truck/camper would be a better set up for that.

But more I think about it, pop up might get old day in day out. Maybe one of these:

lance-altimeter.jpg

Omar RVA

In the interest of kind of staying on topic I want to echo the sentiment that’s already been stated a handful of times - I’ve been a Toyota guy my whole life. I needed a full size (not necessarily an HD) but ended up with a Power Wagon because it’s essentially the tundra I wanted to like but modded from the factory exactly how I wanted it (also the 6.4 hemi + 8 speed zf is amazing). By the time someone gets a Tundra to similar capability they’re going to lose payload and even more MPGs.

I really hope the get spanked by Tremor sales so they will be forced to re work the PW and accommodate a Cummins and a higher payload. I'm no truck designer but it cant be THAT hard. A showdown between a Tremor and a PW would be Epic

Once most of the media and long term truck review folks actually got a hold of the tremors, they got outted as an off-road plus appearance package. TFL truck on YouTube did a comparison video in Utah for the two if you’re interested. To your point, there’s no reason not to offer an off-road package with a rear locker on a diesel 3500.

OA

bkg

Explorer
Yeah, and it sucks

I’m still pretty baffled they don’t offer a Cummins version or at least a 3500 version

would be one of the best selling trucks ever

No room for Cummins' intercooler + winch. At least that was the case on the previous gen.

3500s are such a small amount of sales vs. 2500's, and the leaf sprung vs. coil sprung rear, that it doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it were me, I'd buy a Domestic full size and pull a 25-30' camper. Living and working in a pop up truck camper is going to get really cramped, really quick.

You can get a bunk house trailer that has a 2nd bedroom in the rear that you can use for an office/storage.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
In the interest of kind of staying on topic I want to echo the sentiment that’s already been stated a handful of times - I’ve been a Toyota guy my whole life. I needed a full size (not necessarily an HD) but ended up with a Power Wagon because it’s essentially the tundra I wanted to like but modded from the factory exactly how I wanted it (also the 6.4 hemi + 8 speed zf is amazing). By the time someone gets a Tundra to similar capability they’re going to lose payload and even more MPGs.

Once most of the media and long term truck review folks actually got a hold of the tremors, they got outted as an off-road plus appearance package. TFL truck on YouTube did a comparison video in Utah for the two if you’re interested. To your point, there’s no reason not to offer an off-road package with a rear locker on a diesel 3500.

OA
Offroad plus appearance package? Isn't that what it was designed to be? I would think that slapping and aggressively huge POWER WAGON sticker on the side of a truck is an appearance thing... Regardless, I still have not seen an negative review of the Tremor other than the stiffer ride complaints- can you reference anything? Not trying to argue your point but I really am considering a Tremor so would love to know. From the reviews I've read, they all are exactly what they truck is- a work truck that is great offroad. The PW hands down is the better offroad truck between the two, I wont argue that at all. What I was getting at is that I can see the tremor stealing any potential buyers from a PW due to it being a more well balanced truck compared to the PW. Think engine options, towing, hauling, MPG, etc. The tremor beats the PW all day. If you're someone looking for a dedicated hard core offroad truck then anyone who follows this passion knows the PW is the way to go. If the Tremor gains popularity I can see RAM being forced to redesign it, at least a little, to make it more accommodating for the average guy like me who loves offroading trucks but also has to use the truck for what it was designed for.

Omar RVA

Offroad plus appearance package? Isn't that what it was designed to be? I would think that slapping and aggressively huge POWER WAGON sticker on the side of a truck is an appearance thing... Regardless, I still have not seen an negative review of the Tremor other than the stiffer ride complaints- can you reference anything? Not trying to argue your point but I really am considering a Tremor so would love to know. From the reviews I've read, they all are exactly what they truck is- a work truck that is great offroad. The PW hands down is the better offroad truck between the two, I wont argue that at all. What I was getting at is that I can see the tremor stealing any potential buyers from a PW due to it being a more well balanced truck compared to the PW. Think engine options, towing, hauling, MPG, etc. The tremor beats the PW all day. If you're someone looking for a dedicated hard core offroad truck then anyone who follows this passion knows the PW is the way to go. If the Tremor gains popularity I can see RAM being forced to redesign it, at least a little, to make it more accommodating for the average guy like me who loves offroading trucks but also has to use the truck for what it was designed for.

CJC Off-road and TFL truck reference it; the vast majority of Tremor reviews are positive but pretty much don’t test its off road prowess and have everything to do with the new 7.3 or updated 6.7.

I think we’re saying the same thing but differently. The Tremor was absolutely was designed to be an off road + appearance package. When I stated “off-road+appearance package” I was referring to the industry standard of low to mid tier “aftermarket” shocks, a rear locker and some black cladding...which is what the tremor package (~$4k on the diesel, more for gasser) is over a non premiumed F-250 with a la cart options. The same as the TRD pro Tundra referenced in the thread. Most media outlets had it as a comparison to a PW (the same clowns comparing the trd pro line, rebel or trail boss to Raptors).

The power wagon is absolutely not that. It’s essentially a Jeep rubicon in regards to off road tech with 3/4 ton components. But yeah it’s got the obnoxious stickers to boot.

What I’m getting at is (and my head may be in the sand here) - they don’t compete and I wouldn’t guess most prospective buyers cross shop a PW with a diesel tremor/FX4. No one buys a power wagon because they need 3/4 ton towing/payload (the mpg, payload and towing penalties are huge obviously). All ram needs to do is offer their off-road package plus rear diff locker on 3500s; no PW revamp needed.

For your use case, 250 tremor is probably 100% the right fit. And better comparison would be a ram 2500 offroad package or a GM 2500 AT4.

OA

Last edited:

js9234

Observer
It's only a small part of the sales because they make so few. Demand is there from what I've seen they just don't make them for some stupid reason. I tried to find one before I bought mine and literally couldn't find one unless I wanted a dually.
No room for Cummins' intercooler + winch. At least that was the case on the previous gen.

3500s are such a small amount of sales vs. 2500's, and the leaf sprung vs. coil sprung rear, that it doesn't make sense.

js9234

Observer
When it was first talked about, everyone was calling it the Power Wagon killer and competing directly with the Power Wagon. It's really not close. It's just an FX4 package with lift blocks and bigger tires and supposedly some type of limited slip in the front. I would take either in a heartbeat and I like both just for different reasons. I hope this does force Ram to redesign some for more payload, towing, diesel, and 3500 option. If they did that I would trade my truck in tomorrow.

bkg

Explorer
It's only a small part of the sales because they make so few. Demand is there from what I've seen they just don't make them for some stupid reason. I tried to find one before I bought mine and literally couldn't find one unless I wanted a dually.

if the demand was there, they would build more.

alanymarce

Hmm - a different opinion here I guess. The bigger the vehicle, the more you'll carry. The more you carry, the more it costs. Also, the bigger the vehicle, the less access you have - to cities with narrow streets or remote narrow trails with low branches/undergrowth.

If you plan on overlanding "...often spanning international boundaries" then you're better off with something which is sold everywhere and for which you can readily find spares and have maintenance done at shops which will have the right specifications for things like alignment. Since you're focussed on a pickup I suggest a HiLux.

js9234

Observer
It's not that simple at all. Manuals don't stay on lots long because they make so few. Same as 3500's. Power Wagons aren't a good comparison but they go fast as well. Dealers order them with top of the line packages and don't discount them much. They don't care what the consumer wants really. They tell us what we want and sell what they want us to have for more profit.

If the demand was high, the investment would follow. The demand for manuals is miniscule compared to automatics, at least in big trucks. Same for the PW... if every RAM buyer wanted a PW, RAM would make more... it's simple economics...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94