Tundra owners - question

bkg

Explorer
Own a 2015 CM SR5. Been in the dealer 3x in < month.

Two issues - 1... the recording option for the stereo (records radio while on phone) will record, and replay, static and popping. Dealer talked to Toyota who said "normal." Tech able to replicate on other vehicles.

2 - whistle at partial throttle. Driving me nuts. Tech agrees it's annoying - thinks it's the throttle body (driving w/o filter = louder). I suspect both are a bad ground in the head unit.

Anyone else run into these symptoms?

Guri

Explorer
Not any issue in my case, but you can try to ask on the community of tundratalk.net .Good info on TUNDRAs..

amo292

Adventurer
Tundratalk is definitely the place to ask. I have never heard of a radio doing that so I can't help there but the whistle I can shed some light on. You will find these motors have sort of a whistle to them during normal operation. Its never bothered me. Are you running stock intake or a Cold air intake? When I put a CAI on it got to the point where it was amplified ten times what it was. I attributed that to the housing or filter. Its a very common complaint with people running cai's. I would go through and check all the fittings, connections and the two vacuum hoses. Maybe something is just lose and sucking air where it shouldn't.

bkg

Explorer
Tundratalk is definitely the place to ask. I have never heard of a radio doing that so I can't help there but the whistle I can shed some light on. You will find these motors have sort of a whistle to them during normal operation. Its never bothered me. Are you running stock intake or a Cold air intake? When I put a CAI on it got to the point where it was amplified ten times what it was. I attributed that to the housing or filter. Its a very common complaint with people running cai's. I would go through and check all the fittings, connections and the two vacuum hoses. Maybe something is just lose and sucking air where it shouldn't.

Trying to get on to TT.net - acc't validation taking a bit. Seems you are correct that the whistle is a common complaint. No CAI here - just a whistle that shouldn't be on a $40K+ truck and wasn't on my 08 or 11 CM.

Stereo think pisses me off, to be honest. So much so that I had to turn the option off, which sucks when listening to talk...

Wife's 4Runner? No issues. Beautiful truck. Fit and finish light years ahead of my Tundra.

iRagedoYou

2015 CM here as well. And no issues so far....that recording of radio is definitely weird. Sorry I'm no help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
2015 CM here as well. And no issues so far....that recording of radio is definitely weird. Sorry I'm no help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No worries.
Toyota has washed their hands of everything. I'm not a happy customer.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
What happened after the dealer put a new head unit (and/or amp if JBL)? Or was "must be a bad ground" the solution (it's never a bad ground)?

bkg

Explorer
Whistle seems fixed. Asked dealer to install updated TB gasket that doesn't have the wire mesh. After saying they would do so, they later changed their mind and would not cover under warranty since the whistle is considered "normal." Offered to do it if I paid -$11 for gasket and $50 for 30 minutes of labor. Screw that.

$3 from Toyota of Dallas (plus shipping) and maybe 10 minutes of effort, the whistle seems to be gone. Hope it stays that way.

Head unit still sucks...

bkg

Explorer
220 miles later. All good. No whistle.

Noticed that the timer for phone calls counts at 2x actual speed. A 15 minute call counts to 30 minutes per head unit. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior