tundra or tacoma?

nucktaco

Adventurer
Hey all,

Ive got a 2008 tacoma DC LB 4.0 auto. not alot done to it. just a 3" spacer lift and some cooper STT's.

My Dads got a 2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4 and decided he wants to get a new truck so he offered it to me for 25,000. i think thats a fairly decent price but i would need to sell the tacoma to afford it.

Ive been going over all the pros and cons in my head but was hoping some of you could give me some insight into whether or not i should go for the tundra.

Both trucks are relatively stock and have similar mileage. (tacoma 137,000kms, tundra (150,000kms).

my biggest complaint about the tundra would be the shorter bed but seeing as it has the 5.7L i could actually look into pulling a trailer.

any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Scott:smiley_drive:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Not sure what you use your bed for but my biggest peeve about my Tacoma is the short bed...too short to lie down in and it severely limits camper options...will never buy a bed shorter than 6' again...:)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
If it were me I would keep the Tacoma, and it looks like you even have the 6-foot bed--that's a nice combo.

I think 5.7 is just way too much engine. Also, I really don't enjoy driving full-sized trucks--the lack of visibility, difficulty parking, etc.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I don't think the Tundra with the 5.5ft bed is going to do you any favors, and if a small trailer is your cup of tea you could do that with your Tacoma, couldn't you? If you really just want to go full-size for some reason I'd look at something with a 6-6.5ft bed on it and skip the trailer. FWIW, I do love full-size trucks, but I hate short beds with a passion. But that's just my stupid opinion... :sombrero: ...and I drive an FJ, so pay no attention to me.

OTR

Adventurer
I love my Tundra and would NOT trade it for a Tacoma. The power, room, and quality makes it a fantastic truck IMO.

pirates712

I have one of the first gen tundras, and my dad has a second gen. I can't see myself ever getting one of the newer ones because they're just so big.

nucktaco

Adventurer
yeah the size was another concern of mine. i guess i should have mentioned that the lease is up on my tacoma in december so i am gona have to take loan to buyout the tacoma ($20,000) or sell the tacoma and still end up taking out a 20,000 loan to buy the tundra.

im probably gona keep the tacoma just wanted to get peoples opinions. i do live in the city aswell and the tundra is not very city friendly.

raintoy

If you don't have a whole bunch of kids to haul around, I'd have a tough time telling you to get the tundra. I think the price is great, but my '10double cab gets real big when the road gets skinny.

Semper Paratus

Observer
Well its been said before but the 1st generation tundras are good middle ground. Not as big as the new tundras and def not as expensive...

Glad to hear you plan to keep the Taco.

I've had a first gen tundra and my wife found it too big to drive in town. The v8 was nice but the gas bills were not.... can only imagine the 5.7 uses even more gas no?

Now have a 05 DC taco and it seems to be the best compromise I know of between space.... size... fuel consumption etc.

Have towed travel trailers with it for a few years... tired of the effort, much prefer simpler sleeping arrangements so working on a pop up which sleeps 4!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I finally purchased a first generation Tundra, and one of the reasons that the PO sold it was that his wife was the primary driver, and really struggled parking it. She down sized to a Jeep Liberty so that she could get around better. I really dislike the size of the 2nd generation Tundras, the 1st gen. feels plenty large.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz