Tundra grill gaurd

outofrshell

Adventurer
We just recently bought a 2006 Tundra and I had already decided that one of the few mods would be an ARB bumper. Not only was I surprised but disappointed that ARB doesn't offer a bumper for the Tundra so the search was on for something comparable and there was not much out there for the Tundra plus the wife said she would really like to keep the factory look if possible. With that in mind and the fact that I had witnessed a friends 2006 Tundra that had hit a deer at a relatively slow speed doing $6,000 dollars damage and rendering the truck undrivable. I pulled the cladding and started brain storming and yes I know that the front frame member is not the ideal location for mounting a grill guard but I really couldn't see any other option. The pipe is 1.5 which measure 1.9" OD I used this so I could get welded ELs to match the OD all mounts and bracing are 1/4" X 3" channel.
I started by building this first

Then the mounts and bracing also there is another angle inside of the member to help strengthen it

And a trial fit

Components to build spacers to tie back into the frame ends

Spacer installed to stud at the end of the frame I used the original nut welded into the spacer at one end and behind the square drive is a 12mm nut welded into a 1/2 drive X 3/4 socket welded to the other end, it doesn't show in pictures but the angle mount was extended to cover the spacer and a 12mm bolt was used to to fasten the angle to the spacer

Ready for paint would have liked it powder coated but no one in the area does that

Final install and cladding all buttoned up

Had to lean it out to clear grill when hood opens

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior