Tundra “Stretch or Not To Stretch”

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Yeah, Toyota calls the "Access Cab" Double Cabs, and the cab you've got, "Crewmax."

Look on your driver's door jamb. Sticker should have the actual payload numbers. Most likely, 1,200lbs. Then subtract at least 200lbs if you're going to strech. That doesn't leave a lot for a camper, cargo, people.
1-ton makes more sense here.
Mine is 1265lbs 7200gvwr

i guess its time to hit the scales

ive had 1 tons and 3/4 ton diesel trucks no real need to go up since my towing needs are reduced to 7000lbs

bkg

Explorer
8 foot is access cab only i believe.. but im going to visit my toyota dealer to and see if there is one on the lot..never seen one other then pictures

Correct. Been available since 07 in that config. kind of odd looking.

Nitro Gear and Axle stretched their CrewMax years ago. Pretty sure it was on here at one point.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I'll bet you're already over payload on your crewmax with 2 people in the cab. 3/4 ton/1-ton has less to do with towing and more to do with payload these days.
My hand calcs say maybe, expedition one front and rear bumpers two warn winches wedge camper and rear drawers is about 1050 lbs leaves enough room for me ? but i did add air bags ?

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Yeah, Toyota calls the "Access Cab" Double Cabs, and the cab you've got, "Crewmax."
This is not the right way to think about it. Access Cab, in name and form, got completely dropped in 07.
07+ got a traditional double cab (like on 04-06) and the new giant cab is the "Crewmax".

The 06 double cab and 07 double cab are within 2 inches of each other when comparing rear leg room.

tennesseewj

Observer
For those of us with carseats in the back, 3" of legroom is a pretty significant difference. Also, the position of the seating is more vertical in the 07+ double cabs

I felt like the name change had more to do with the swap to exterior door handles rather than having to open the front door in order to access the rear cab.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
For those of us with carseats in the back, 3" of legroom is a pretty significant difference. Also, the position of the seating is more vertical in the 07+ double cabs

I felt like the name change had more to do with the swap to exterior door handles rather than having to open the front door in order to access the rear cab.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You’re probably right regarding the name change due to clam shell in the old Tundra vs traditional rear opening in the current gen.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What about returning your current rig to stock, and putting the upgraded parts on a Tundra with the longer box? In my mind, a stretch, no matter how ell executed, would kill the resale value of the truck. Not that resale value is why we do what we do, but it’s something to consider. Selling the camper to pay for the stretch is great, but then you need to pay for another camper. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

And as an aside, the tow capacity of modern half tons is ridiculous. The manufacturers have created a false sense of security with their numbers. If you want to tow 10,000 with a half ton, feel free. But I can “feel” less than that behind a fully equipped 3500 rated to tow 17,500 so I’m sure as hell not going to tow it with a 1500.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Returning to stock for exterior pieces is easy. But this truck is now regeared with lockers, i have done a bunch on the interior, like leather heated seats and wheel, remote start, independent control on front and rear cameras special mounts. This list is long.. and i really like the truck...except Bed length

towing is not an issue, my horse trailer with gear is 3500 lbs, add a couple horses and im just under 6000lbs. which is 60% max rating, I tow in sport mode 5th gear and i dont have a dumb right foot so I usually tow at speeds slightly less then 70mph my issue with using half ton trucks towing near max is the brakes are wholly inadequate

so this idea is dead? mainly do to the gvwr concerns. but after last weekends trip i am back on the fence about wedge campers. during the next few months I will buid a rear door and get rid of the tail gate plus im moving the fridge to behind the passenger seat So easier access to back

ulyist

Regarding payload/ GVWR. It’s something you need to go to the scales and actually check. There’s been a couple misconceptions out there, best to weigh and read the manual.
Sometimes payload is GVWR minus 150lbs drive and a 1/2 tank of fuel then what’s left. Sometimes it’s calculated with 150lbs per seat.

My 2006 dodge 3500, when scaled has 2080lbs I’d payload. Which is less then some 1/2 tons now. Hopefully the next generation tundra will have more payload too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz