Tuffy oversize security drawer installed in a Cherokee

Alex

Adventurer
I had grown tired of having to unload everything from the back of my Cherokee every time I needed some little thing, which was usually on the bottom of the pile of camping gear, clothing and food. The top-loading army surplus footlockers I was using had a large capacity and were very sturdy but the lids had to be removed to access the contents. A drawer would make packing and unpacking easier, while allowing items stored on top to remain undisturbed. Tuffy's Oversize Security Drawer part #63 looked like the easiest solution so I ordered one from Rusty's Off-Road.

With the drawer in hand, the first order of business was making sure the drawer slides stayed attached to the outer box. The slides on the box were retained by 4 puny countersunk head screws on each side. Two of the screws had already pulled through the slide, allowing it to come loose. My fix was to drill out the nutserts on the box to allow the installation of larger hardware. Here you can see an original screw, along with the other one that had pulled through the slide. Next to it is a 6 x 1.0mm, grade 10.9 flange-head bolt that I replaced all 8 of the original slide retaining screws with.
orig.jpg

Strangely, the slides mounted to the drawer were retained by twice as many screws and they fit much better. I left those as they were delivered.

This drawer system was designed to fit a TJ so mounting in my Cherokee turned into a little more work than I expected. The XJ "frame rails", gas tank, gas tank mounting humps, fuel filler hoses and spring shackle mounts were in the way of all of the obvious places to run bolts through the floor. I ended up running (8) 3/8" carriage bolts from underneath to mount it because the rounded heads would be nicer to the plastic gas tank that would be sharing the same space.

Here's the 4 bolts on the right side. Looking at the imprint left by the tank on the floorpan, you can see how close the tank is to the rear mounting bolt.
orig.jpg

I reused the holes I hand previously drilled for tie-down loops to bolt the left side of the box down.
orig.jpg

A couple of pieces of scrap 2x4 served as spacers to allow the drawer to clear the rear hatch trim. All of the holes are drilled in the floor and spacers:
orig.jpg

Making sure all the holes line up before placing the box in the Jeep. The Tuffy box replaced another of the green footlockers that is still chained over the folded rear seatback.
orig.jpg

Outer box bolted down. I installed 5 tiedown loops on the sides to give me somewhere to secure all of the stuff I plan on putting on top of it. I also covered the top of the box with adhesive backed felt sheet to provide a non-slip, cushioned surface. I ended up adding 6 more tie down loops after going on a couple of camping trips and finding out that I picked poor locations for the first batch of loops.
orig.jpg

A closeup of the mounting hardware on the left side. As you can tell, this was the side where I reused the old tiedown loop holes that were already in the floor.
orig.jpg

Alex

Adventurer
On to the drawer itself. I painted the interior white for better visibility. It came in the same black color as the rest of the unit. I also bought the divider kit to keep things organized but that may have been a mistake. The dividers are very sturdy and fit well but they use up a lot of room. Putting 2 of the long dividers together eats up an inch of interior space. Adding the sheetmetal dividers to further compartmentalize things highlighted another problem: the rear 8 inches or so are inaccessable because the drawer doesn't pull out all of the way from the housing box.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I got around both of these issues by using half of a long divider so I only gave up the width of the sheetmetal, then using motor oil 6-pack cases to hold and access stuff. After 2 weeks worth of camping trips I have an organization system that allows me to fill the entire drawer to the top:
orig.jpg

The right side of the drawer holds camping gear: a Hennesy Hammock; queen size air mattress & pump; 4 person tent, poles and 2 sets of stakes; 2 reflectorized space blanket-type tarps. The left side has 4 motor oil boxes that hold a coleman 1 burner propane stove; .30 cal ammo box full of commonly needed tools and a whole bunch of food. The boxes can be slid around like a chinese puzzle to easily access items stored in the very back of the drawer. The forward part of that side holds all the oddly sized and shaped items like the tupperware mess kit holding plates, utensils and frying pan; backpacking cook set; chef's knife; aluminium foil; bread and other sundries. When the tent is set up I use the vacated portion of the right half to hold some of the stuff that goes in the front of the left half. There is just enough room to the left side of the box to hold a couple of tow straps and a broom. A 5 gallon water jug fits perfectly on the right side and is securely strapped to the floor of the Jeep and the box.

Here it is on primitive camping trip where we had to carry everything needed for 2 people to make an unimproved patch of dirt home for a week.
orig.jpg

Yes, the Tuffy box is expensive and far from perfect for Cherokee use, but it is a far easier way to keep my camping gear organized that anything else I have used. At this point I would not go on a trip without it.

This is what it is all about:
orig.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne