Tuffstuff Trailer???

bshinn

Here is the rack. I think this is standard on the Tuff Stuff if you don't get the tent. The tent is high enough that it does not block the view through my rear view mirror. View attachment 521308 I don't have any first-hand experience, but I have heard the tent style that the Crux comes with take a bit of time to set up / take down.
I do have 1st hand experience and it's a ********** to do the complete setup. Erecting just the tent is not too bad, but to add the annex is a huge PITA!

bshinn

Could someone take a couple of pictures of the spare tire mounting? I'm thinking perhaps the same could be done with the Smittybilt. Thanks
Could someone take a couple of pictures of the spare tire mounting? I'm thinking perhaps the same could be done with the Smittybilt. Thanks
Tire is mounted on a winch under the rear of the trailer, not really much to photograph. Look under the rear of most any pickup and there you have it.

Linesider7

Resurrecting an old thread as I just purchased one of these. 2020 model. Would like to hear updates on the trailer from those who have purchased. Still enjoying it? I got mine home and after testing the main breaker found it would no longer pass power. Has anybody upgraded any of the electronics yet? Out of necessity or otherwise? How has tuffstuff been from a warranty support standpoint? Seems like good value for the cost.

Thanks in advance.

thebigez

Lin
Resurrecting an old thread as I just purchased one of these. 2020 model. Would like to hear updates on the trailer from those who have purchased. Still enjoying it? I got mine home and after testing the main breaker found it would no longer pass power. Has anybody upgraded any of the electronics yet? Out of necessity or otherwise? How has tuffstuff been from a warranty support standpoint? Seems like good value for the cost.

Thanks in advance.
Still love it. TuffStuff was excellent with a couple of items I had to deal with - so no issues there.

A few things you might want to do:
1. Check the alignment. I had to take mine to a special shop in Salt Lake to get it aligned - but they were able to get it dialed in perfectly. It was pretty bad when I got it.
2. You might want to replace the poly-block coupler. I switched mine to a CruiseMaster. Not that there was anything wrong with the coupler it came with - I just found it difficult to hitch if I was on an odd angle. Don't get the one with the brake. It does not fit.
3. Replace the jockey wheel. Easy to do - and makes it so much easier to move around, especially off-road.
4. Spend a few minutes to make sure all of the doors close and latch properly. I had to adjust a few of the latches to get them tight enough.
5. I ended up drilling out the stove orifice 2 number sizes bigger to get more heat out of it. I have not had a chance to test it yet - but the stove did not have enough BTU output at my altitude to do much. (It took forever just to boil water.) I may end up replacing it with a Dometic unit this fall if my mod didn't help. (In fairness, these stoves are meant for inside trailer usage, so they are limited in BTU output. If you factor in wind, it really struggles.)
6. I added a battery charger so I can plug it in and charge it the day before heading out.
7. You might want to move the vent for the tank up a bit higher. I used some small sprinkler drip pipe and a small coupler, extended it up about 2' and wire tied it in place.
8. Order a few spare water hand pumps. Mine broke on the 3rd or 4th time out. Fortunately, they are less than $10 to replace. I carry a spare since I use it all the time.

I use a large marine cooler which is perfect. However, I have noticed that the refrigerator / cooler drawer is fairly narrow, limiting the size and style of a refrigerator you could fit.

I have a folding solar panel (see my earlier post) that fits perfectly in the compartment about the battery and haven't had any issues with the electrical system. Tows great - barely notice it behind my 200 series. One of the things I really like - I raised the tent rack up one notch so that the bottom of the tent is at 6' when open for my annex room. With the tent at this height, my rear view mirror allows me to see perfectly between the trailer and the tent nearly eliminating any blind spots. I have mine packed and ready in the garage - so we are able to get out quickly.

Hope this helps.

bshinn

I 2nd the hitch comment above. Get the CruiseMaster. I did get the one with the brake and it will fit if you notch the hitch plate slightly. Their parking brake is night and day better that the one on my Crux. I can get a Dometic CFX65 in my 1610's compartment, but I think the TS door is a little narrower.

xdub

Hello, another bringing up an old thread.. I'm having trouble finding where these trailers are made. I know that Tuff Stuff Overland is in Cali, but do they make them there, or are they from overseas? Thank you.

robepa

It's believe its made in the same factory as the Smittybilt Scout. Many of the features and parts look identical. They are built in China, I am not sure where but I could probably find out as I am typically in China 4-10 times a year when there isn't a pandemic/trade wars.

Linesider7

Thanks for all of the replies, only been able to camp in it once thus far, super cold night, looking forward to doing more as it's warming up a ton here in CO. Was very impressed with it on that night. Seems like a pretty good value for the price. Will update with any information of value.

bshinn

It's believe its made in the same factory as the Smittybilt Scout. Many of the features and parts look identical. They are built in China, I am not sure where but I could probably find out as I am typically in China 4-10 times a year when there isn't a pandemic/trade wars.
They're actually available from Alibaba from time to time. Something like $3K ea with a min of 2 units. Not sure about import reg's or getting it tagged once it's here but I wish I had that info before I bought my Crux!

bshinn

Thanks for all of the replies, only been able to camp in it once thus far, super cold night, looking forward to doing more as it's warming up a ton here in CO. Was very impressed with it on that night. Seems like a pretty good value for the price. Will update with any information of value.
Search "Chinese Diesel Air Heater" Amazon. They go for about $120-150 and are a much better option that a Little Buddy. No condensation in the tent in the morning!

AZCASAK

Lin

Still love it. TuffStuff was excellent with a couple of items I had to deal with - so no issues there.

A few things you might want to do:
1. Check the alignment. I had to take mine to a special shop in Salt Lake to get it aligned - but they were able to get it dialed in perfectly. It was pretty bad when I got it.
2. You might want to replace the poly-block coupler. I switched mine to a CruiseMaster. Not that there was anything wrong with the coupler it came with - I just found it difficult to hitch if I was on an odd angle. Don't get the one with the brake. It does not fit.
3. Replace the jockey wheel. Easy to do - and makes it so much easier to move around, especially off-road.
4. Spend a few minutes to make sure all of the doors close and latch properly. I had to adjust a few of the latches to get them tight enough.
5. I ended up drilling out the stove orifice 2 number sizes bigger to get more heat out of it. I have not had a chance to test it yet - but the stove did not have enough BTU output at my altitude to do much. (It took forever just to boil water.) I may end up replacing it with a Dometic unit this fall if my mod didn't help. (In fairness, these stoves are meant for inside trailer usage, so they are limited in BTU output. If you factor in wind, it really struggles.)
6. I added a battery charger so I can plug it in and charge it the day before heading out.
7. You might want to move the vent for the tank up a bit higher. I used some small sprinkler drip pipe and a small coupler, extended it up about 2' and wire tied it in place.
8. Order a few spare water hand pumps. Mine broke on the 3rd or 4th time out. Fortunately, they are less than $10 to replace. I carry a spare since I use it all the time.

I use a large marine cooler which is perfect. However, I have noticed that the refrigerator / cooler drawer is fairly narrow, limiting the size and style of a refrigerator you could fit.

I have a folding solar panel (see my earlier post) that fits perfectly in the compartment about the battery and haven't had any issues with the electrical system. Tows great - barely notice it behind my 200 series. One of the things I really like - I raised the tent rack up one notch so that the bottom of the tent is at 6' when open for my annex room. With the tent at this height, my rear view mirror allows me to see perfectly between the trailer and the tent nearly eliminating any blind spots. I have mine packed and ready in the garage - so we are able to get out quickly.

Hope this helps.

AZCASAK

@thebigez - Did you get a chance to test your stove mod? I hate the stove. I’ve used it one time and It really struggled. Had to keep the propane tank off due to smelling gas from under the stove.

I have also looked at the Dometics and will likely upgrade. Doesn’t look like their two burner is an exact fit. It is not as wide as the existing stove which would be a bit of a pain. Depth is an issue as well. Not a lot of space down there.

If you have had any luck upgrading I would love to hear it.

MAP

Also interested in any stove modifications or swaps. The stove is our biggest complaint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles