Tubs: My 2004 E350 Build

So I finally joined club and bought a van yesterday. Thanks to Eric (86Scotty) for looking at the ad and giving me advice. Thanks to kennyj and many more of you on Portal for giving me the inspiration to get into the campervan life!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445704165.630492.jpg

The Van is a 2004 E350 XLT passenger model with the 5.4 V8 and has just over 88k miles after the drive home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445704190.060327.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445704206.124384.jpg

Overall it is in pretty good condition. Transmission pan leak, couple dents and dings, plus some surface rust on the frame and little on the rear gutter. More than I wanted but nothing is deep. My first task will be to clean it all up and spray with rust converter and some paint. Also tires seem to be out balance as I get a bad shimmy at 75mph.

Most work will have to wait until I sell my first gen Tacoma so I can pay off the van and buy some goodies.

Selling the Tacoma and bought the van for a long term trip next summer. My wife and I plan to travel the country, looking for different areas to live, as long as money will allow. Hopefully 4-6 months. The truck with a RTT just was not feasible for that length of time.

I currently do not plan to convert to 4wd. I spent a month out west last October and only put my truck in 4wd a couple of times. I will be adding the biggest all terrain tires I can fit with no lift and some sort of rear locker.

Plans for the future include;
Remove carpet and side panels and replace with insulation and wood
Complete lightweight interior with fold out bed long enough for my 6'6"
Basic cabinetry for camping gear and clothing storage
Install ARB fridge
Simple hand pump sink with jerry can clean and grey water containers
portapottie or current lugaloo
Add two more house batteries and associated other electrical gear
Tint windows darker and make some reflectix window inserts
Fantastic Van or Maxx Air in roof
Black out chrome bumpers and grill
New tires and wheels
Look into a DIY roof rack

This is going to start out slow so bear with me. I appreciate all of your comments and tips on the future build!

Joe

The obligatory down by the river shot!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445704613.004107.jpg

Sea.Jay

Observer
I am 6'8 and plan to sleep two in bed and one on floor...tried the fold down and fold out bed idea before settling on a slide out bed with sealed storage underneath...perfect place for a heater, water tanks and pump, etc.

Just an idea if you weren't already set in stone. ..
http://deepredmotorhome.com/bed.php

I am 6'8 and plan to sleep two in bed and one on floor...tried the fold down and fold out bed idea before settling on a slide out bed with sealed storage underneath...perfect place for a heater, water tanks and pump, etc.

Just an idea if you weren't already set in stone. ..
http://deepredmotorhome.com/bed.php

No, not set in stone at all. Thanks for the idea! Original planned on a futon type bed running lengthwise behind the drivers seat but also looked at making an elongated VW style pull out seat (rock and roll?) that ran width wise.

First I am going to pull the seats and cram a big cot, the fridge, the lugaloo, camp chairs, and everything else we plan on taking into the Van to get an idea of a way to store it all. Also wanna stay out several nights in a couple different mock ups to see how it works before finalizing the build.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Nice looking Van!
Looks like 225/75/16's on there?
With no lift biggest tires pretty much 245/75/16 or maybe 235/85/16 taller and narrower and a little rubbing...
Since youy are talking about bigger tires, If you lift isy with springs you could use moog CC880 front progressive springs Gives a bit more than 1.5 inch or the cc880s which gives 2.25 but inch stiffer on bumps due o higher spring rate but rides nice will give room for 235/85's maybe 265's
Add 1 inch block in rear and you have nice cheap small lift.
You will need camber bushings in front and an alignment after that.
Just did this awhile ago and are very happy with the end results.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-75r16-235-85r16
Looks like you already have very nice model of co-pilot so I think you're good there;)
Welcome to the van obsession ...
h7.gif

Last edited:
Nice looking Van!
Looks like 225/75/16's on there?
With no lift biggest tires pretty much 245/75/16 or maybe 235/85/16 taller and narrower and a little rubbing...
Since youy are talking about bigger tires, If you lift isy with springs you could use moog CC880 front progressive springs Gives a bit more than 1.5 inch or the cc880s which gives 2.25 but inch stiffer on bumps due o higher spring rate but rides nice will give room for 235/85's maybe 265's
Add 1 inch block in rear and you have nice cheap small lift.
You will need camber bushings in front and an alignment after that.
Just did this awhile ago and are very happy with the end results.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-75r16-235-85r16
Looks like you already have very nice model of co-pilot so I think you're good there;)
Welcome to the van obsession ...
View attachment 311166

Yes, 225/75's.

Thanks for the lift advice. Add that to the maybe list. Right now I am trying really hard to balance my limited amount of funds between building the Van and saving for the trip itself. From last experience I know it is always better to spend the money doing things rather than buying things. The quote "Collect experience, not possessions" is one I am trying very hard to live by. That can be very hard for a obsessive gear guy.

Yea, I lucked out with that model. She is more excited than I am about the Van and the trip.

And for some reason my spellcheck insisted in capitalizing Van every time I type it. Lol

Gtdad

Adventurer
A classic danish saying , less things more life. I also have a hard time with it but am trying. I am also a gear junkie/wannebe boyscout preparedness kinda guy. Add to that i am in vancouver bc which has been long overdue for "the big one" so I figure I am thinking ahead for me and my fam.
here's mine with 245's and the 2 inch ish lift.with the lift.jpg
Runnng boards make it look lower but as it sits it is 14 inch inches from front running board down to the ground
And 15 .5 at the rear.

Last edited:

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Might as well keep the Tacoma and just move to the PNW, it's what's going to happen anyway and the Taco will be magically quadruple in value up here :lol:

Seriously though, I'll be keeping an eye on the build. Sounds similar to what I want to do.

Gtdad,

That looks good! What wheels are those?

Hondaslayer,

I would keep the Tacoma but I still owe a decent amount of money on it and can not afford to do this trip with another payment. It is a sacrifice I have to make. It is way over kill than I need any way.

My wife is hoping that I am going to love it up that way and wanna move there. She is a beach freak while I prefer the mountains.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Gtdad,

That looks good! What wheels are those?"
Those are245/75/16 Snow rated Nokian Rotiva all weathers LT's on Core Racing 16/8 "Trekker LT" model

Hondaslayer,

"My wife is hoping that I am going to love it up that way and wanna move there. She is a beach freak while I prefer the mountains"

Up here in the PNW we got mountains and beaches:)

86scotty

Cynic
Glad to have helped and I love the van. Absolutely great color and tan interior too, which is pretty rare in a newer E350. Can't wait to hear more about the build and the trip when it happens.

Oh, +2 or 3 or 4 for the PNW. They seem to have it all, and better coffee, and better weather. In the South when it rains you get wet, as does everything. When I was in Oregon last it rained the whole time but it was more like mist and I never felt soaked and miserable.

Can anyone help me figure out what axle I have? I have googled the axle door code but striking out in what the actual axle is.

The door code is a 24 which is supposed to be a 3.55 gear. From removing the hub caps I sadly learned it is not a full floating axle.

I plan on adding a locker. Would it be better in you all opinions to go ahead and install a Detriot locker and regear to 3.73s at the time or stick with a simple lunch box locker and no regear and save the money? Plan on the 245 or 235 size tires that Gtdad recommended.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, options are limited unfortunately. C Clip D60 semi floats don't get much love from the aftermarket!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You could probably junk yard source a new rear axle with 3.73s and a limited slip already installed. Not as good as a locker off-road but for the level of wheeling it sounds like you're interested in it would probably do the trick. Around here 3/4-1 ton rear axles are fairly cheap. Sell yours to help off set and you might end up a happy camper without too much money pain.

I had 235/85R16 Cooper AT IIIs on mine and no issues up front with rubbing. I have those 4-sale btw (shameless plug), 6 of them with around 5500 miles on them.

4x4 has a sneaky habit of getting under your skin sooner or later. It's like a spare tire. You hope to never need it, rarely do end up using it, but when you do want it it can be a god send having it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles