Trying to hook up my CB

silvElise

Adventurer
Hey guys,
I am trying to hook up my cb. The new to me auto I purchased already has wiring to the roof rack. I asked the person I bought it from but he never used a CB so is unsure.

The problem I am having is the mounting bracket it is on and the firestik I have don't line up. I am wondering is there some sort of adapter I am missing? Or part I need to order? Any help would be great .. pics attached

Attachments

• oncar.jpg
    oncar.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 33
  • firestik.JPG
    firestik.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 18

GlennA

Adventurer
The mount you have is and NMO mount. You will either have to change the mount, or get a different antenna. I have never seen an NMO to 3/8 mounting adapter.

silvElise

Adventurer
The mount you have is and NMO mount. You will either have to change the mount, or get a different antenna. I have never seen an NMO to 3/8 mounting adapter.

Thanks... I am so new to all this it is still confusing to me...
Here is an adapter:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/NMO-8-24-Antenna-Mount-Adapter/dp/B0042AL6WK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300310362&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: "NMO" to 3/8-24 Antenna Mount Adapter: Electronics[/ame]

but with that said firestik sits high on the rack so a whip might be better.. any suggestions on a good cheap whip?

Last edited:

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
Larsen makes a base-loaded antenna and whip for the 27 Mhz band (CB) designed for an NMO mount system...check with any ham radio store to order it (Ham City, HRO, etc...) :)

silvElise

Adventurer
Larsen makes a base-loaded antenna and whip for the 27 Mhz band (CB) designed for an NMO mount system...check with any ham radio store to order it (Ham City, HRO, etc...) :)

Thanks for pointing it out I found a distributor in Dallas with 28 in stock so I am going to go by and pick one up.

Thanks again for the help guys!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's a good antenna and happens to be the one I run, it's called the NMO27.

Something to note about this antenna is that it's a 1/4 wavelength antenna electrically and so the ground return is /critical/ to making it match. If you do not ground the outside of the NMO mount and take care with your RF grounds it won't work well.

BTW, the NMO to 3/8" adapter is a common part, any ham shop will have them.

nmo_to_36x24_adapter__74878_zoom.jpg

silvElise

Adventurer

Something to note about this antenna is that it's a 1/4 wavelength antenna electrically and so the ground return is /critical/ to making it match. If you do not ground the outside of the NMO mount and take care with your RF grounds it won't work well.

Dave thanks for the reply! I think I am going to go with the whip as the truck is almost 8 feet tall and adding a 4' stiff firestik on top is asking for trouble :)

GlennA

Adventurer

nmo_to_36x24_adapter__74878_zoom.jpg

I stand corrected. We anly use NMO or "ball mount" whips for our applications.

gary in ohio

Explorer
That NMO mount needs to be replaced, its looks to be in pretty bad shape, sho I would replace it at a minimum with a new NMO mount. Your best option is to get a 3/8x24 screw mount to match your antenna. THe NMO to thread adapter have cause me nothing but trouble and while they might work, I would not recommended them.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
That NMO mount needs to be replaced, its looks to be in pretty bad shape, sho I would replace it at a minimum with a new NMO mount. Your best option is to get a 3/8x24 screw mount to match your antenna. THe NMO to thread adapter have cause me nothing but trouble and while they might work, I would not recommended them.
I agree, adapters are a constant source of problems in my experience.

silvElise

Adventurer
Thanks all for the heads up!
I kept the old mount got a larson and seem to be at a swr around 1.5... Next will be a new nmo mount sure that will help for now but seems to be working ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste