Trying to figure out my new GPS (Garmin GPSMap 64s)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After almost 16 years I finally decided to replace the old Magellan Meridian GPS I got in 2005. The old Magellan was getting a little long in the tooth, starting to kill batteries quickly and not being real reliable.

I hesitated getting a new GPS because it's such a PITA trying to figure out new technology.

(side note: remember when you used to be excited to get something new? New car, new stereo, etc? Now every new purchase for me - car, phone, computer - is accompanied by existential dread of having to try and figure the damn thing out after I just got done spending countless hours figuring the last one out. Is it just me that's like that?)

Anyway, I got a Garmin GPSMap 64S. It will primarily be used on my motorcycle including my new-to-me Suzuki DR200SE dual sport bike (I don't really use it in the truck because the truck has built in navigation.) It may also be used hiking or geocaching.

After many hours and several YouTube videos, I finally figured out how to get OSM (Open Street Maps) on it, so it at least has a decent set of streets, trails, even hiking trails.

I would, however, like to get actual topo maps on it. I've seen that this is possible, but I'm still a bit puzzled by the process.

First of all, I see lots of references to "base camp." Am I right in thinking that Base Camp is a program that is on your computer that you can use to create maps which can then be downloaded to the GPS?

And then, what is the process of doing that?

I also have some specific questions about the Garmin GPSMap 64S and its capabilities. Such as, it has a Micro SD card slot in the back, and I have cards up to 32gb, but can I have more than one IMG file on the card at a time that the GPS can access? Or is it limited to one file at a time?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
UPDATE: Okay, after much searching and YouTubing, I think I've got it figured out, at least a little.

OSM maps for street maps are installed, and I installed BaseCamp and put topo maps for Colorado on.

So far so good. I guess now I need to just play with Basecamp for a little bit and see how to input POI's and tracks on there.

One of the problems I've run into trying to do research on this is that a lot of the info on the internet is outdated. I see references to mapping programs that have since been superseded by the likes of Basecamp.

The other issue I'm running into is that the Intertubes are flooded with information on mapping, GIS, etc and so it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of information, as there is so much out there.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your questions aren't really simple "just copy this" sorts of things.

Garmin still makes fine hardware but business-wise really wants you to buy Topoactive or their 24k or 100k topo maps. I got a new GPSMAP 65s that came with Topoactive maps. They're OK. I wouldn't buy them otherwise, though.

I use and still prefer these maps: https://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

I installed them on an SD card in the device. You don't have to load them through Basecamp but you do have to use Garmin tools, in this case MapInstall.

The thing is to get multiple Garmin IMG maps on an SD card takes a little bit of file manipulation that I'd probably just confuse you trying to explain. It can be done, though.

You have to download the maps, install them using MapManager onto your machine. At that point they'll be available in Basecamp and MapInstall.

One thing that is important is Garmin does not force supplemental maps to be named "GMAPSUPP.IMG" anymore. They just need to have the right extension and be compatible. So you can use MapInstall to compile a map and rename it. But the tool is smart enough to know what tiles you put on an SD card even if you rename the .img file so eventually you hit a limit in map size.

So the basic concept I do is mount a virtual SD card on my computer, use MapInstall to generate a .img file, copy and rename it to a temp directory. Then I repeat the steps but deleting all the tiles, selecting a new set of tiles and do the compile again. Moving and renaming that .img file, etc. I'll end up with 7 new .img files in the temp directory that I can then copy to the "Garmin" folder on the real SD card for the device.

BTW, if you do use those gmaptool maps consider a donation to the fella for doing them. He's up to revision 34 of them so it's a lot of time and electricity he's spent making them to give away for free.

Another BTW, the 64s is fine GPS but for motorcycles the old, but still available GPSMAP 78 or the newer 79 or 86 are I think better choices. These devices still use the 4-pin power/serial connector on the back. They're actually marine GPS receivers technically. But that's a much more robust way to power them than USB, but you want to draw power from the bike.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After I posted my second comment above I was finally able to get the topo maps installed. I can't remember the site I found them at but a google/youtube search put me onto them.

Biggest achilles heel I've found is, as you said the charging aspect. I didn't realize when I ordered it that the only way to connect to power with the 64s is with the USB cable which I presume is not weather proof. That means if I want to run it on m bike in the rain, I either need to try and rig up some kind of cover that protects the USB port from getting water in it, OR I can run it on batteries only. But if I run it on battery, the backlight won't stay on.

That's not necessarily a deal breaker for me - I don't need constant reference to the GPS while I'm riding (in fact I find it somewhat distracting.)

But at this point I think I'm committed to the 64 at least for the time being.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Biggest achilles heel I've found is, as you said the charging aspect. I didn't realize when I ordered it that the only way to connect to power with the 64s is with the USB cable which I presume is not weather proof. That means if I want to run it on m bike in the rain, I either need to try and rig up some kind of cover that protects the USB port from getting water in it, OR I can run it on batteries only. But if I run it on battery, the backlight won't stay on.

That's not necessarily a deal breaker for me - I don't need constant reference to the GPS while I'm riding (in fact I find it somewhat distracting.)

My understanding is that having a charging cable connected to the USB port while on a bike very quickly destroys the port. It was never designed to handle the vibration, especially on a bike. I've seen posts on ADVrider where guys have disassembled their GPS units, found the correct connections and then wired up something like SAE connections in place of the USB port.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
For my bike, I had the Montana GPS. It comes with a snap-in holder/charger that's weatherproof. If you stick a foam earplug in the battery case, it's vibration-proof as well. You can set it up to warn you when you're driving over the speed limit, or show you the nearest gas station. I hooked a Bluetooth transmitter up to it so it would send audio to my helmet.

I know you already bought a GPS but the Montana was a good one for bikes.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
After I posted my second comment above I was finally able to get the topo maps installed. I can't remember the site I found them at but a google/youtube search put me onto them.
Glad to hear!

Forgot to mention, this is another option for Garmin topo maps. They are already compiled, no monkeying around.

https://garmin.opentopomap.org/

Didn't mean to suggest the 62/64/65/66 aren't good receivers (I really like my new-to-me 65s for hiking and skiing) but the lack of a rugged power connector limits them on motorcycles. That's why I suggested the Garmin marine series devices, which still have it. I used to use a GPSMAP 78 on my KLR and I found it pretty ideal.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Gosh,I cring when I have to get a new phone.
I'm still learning features on my Samsung after a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier