Trying out Target's Embark cooler

GSRidist

Item: "Square Welded Cooler Grey - Embark"
Capacity: 24 cans
Source: Target
Price paid: $60

Lifelong camper here. I’ve always used a full-size, hard-plastic cooler, but when the fam stopped camping with me, I decided to downsize. The soft-sided coolers from Yeti were appealing but way out of my price range. So I took a chance on this one from the local Target store.

I owned it for months before getting a chance to use it. During that time in the house, I did a test: put 8 bottles of frozen water inside and zipped it up. The A/C was off, so house temps ranged from 65 at night to 93 during the day. I opened it after 2 days and found approximately 40-50% of the ice remaining. After another 2 days, I opened it again and found only water.

Last week, I took the cooler on a 9-day trip in the mountains. Again, I chucked in 8 frozen water bottles, then added various beverages and foods. The first 6 days were spent in temps that ranged from 20 at night to 70 during the day. The whole time, the cooler was either in my car or in a bear box. It was opened many times each day for access. I don’t think any refreezing occurred at night.

On day 7, I moved to a lower, warmer elevation and found that my original ice had melted (but the contents were still cold). So I dumped in a bag of cubes and resumed using it. When I got home on day 9, about 25% of the cubes remained.

Overall, I’m pleased. My only complaint is the zipper. When it was new, it was hard to operate, probably because it's waterproof, so I used the silicone lube that came with it, and that made it much easier. On those 20-degree mornings, however, it was really hard to operate -- so much so that I worried the zipper would break.

I plan to lube it up like a condom before I go out again. I’ll report back if the zipper ever gives up the ghost.

Attachments

• 7546.JPG
    7546.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 39

thefishhawk

Adventurer
That one and the one I got from RTIC looks like they could have come from the same factory (or probably did). Mine has held up just fine and you are right, gotta use the zipper lube. I've heard of some of the glue seams delaminating but mine has been fine after about 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier