TruTrac vs Locker for Transit 250

Ouiwee

Observer
I had a rear air locker on my K10 truck and replaced it with a TruTrack because I got sick and tired of replacing parts in the locker to get it to work. It literally leaked air the entire time it was in the truck. Perhaps an e-locker would not be so much trouble.

I have TruTracks on front and rear now. They are bullet proof and I am working with 640 lb/ft at the wheels. The only down side, as has been mentioned, is if you have a wheel in the air without brake operated traction control, torque doesn't get transferred.

I have taken the truck through some gnarly trails and never needed a locker.

roving1

I had a rear air locker on my K10 truck and replaced it with a TruTrack because I got sick and tired of replacing parts in the locker to get it to work. It literally leaked air the entire time it was in the truck. Perhaps an e-locker would not be so much trouble.

I have TruTracks on front and rear now. They are bullet proof and I am working with 640 lb/ft at the wheels. The only down side, as has been mentioned, is if you have a wheel in the air without brake operated traction control, torque doesn't get transferred.

I have taken the truck through some gnarly trails and never needed a locker.
I seldom go to a big 4wd destination place w/o running into someone having a leaking ARB locker. Same with a shocking % of YT videos of people from budget builds to mega buck rigs. I know some people have trouble free experiences but the odds are just too high for me.

On the flip side I have gotten used to the benefits of having truetracs all the time for all my driving I don't want to give it up just to have a better locker for the 5% of hardcore time I see. Even if E lockers were the same price as TT's I would have to think long and hard about getting a locker.

nitro_rat

On a Suburban Excursion
What anecdotal evidence do you have that an Eaton Detroit TrueTrac wears out at 150k miles? This is a clutchless, all-gear differential:

Exploded View - Inside the Eaton TrueTrac Differential
Differential Locker Comparison (ARB / Eaton / Ox / Yukon) - Filthy Motorsports

I found no evidence of significant, consistent complaints of the longevity of the TrueTrac, period. There was one person who claims his is wearing out after two years, but admitted to using synthetic oil when Eaton specifically states in its installation manual that it doesn't recommend synthetics due to sufficient lack of testing. But Eaton responded to the photos he sent as saying everything was "fine."
I've had a few and I drive 40-60k a year. They start to chatter first, they get jerky, the gears wear out as they're preloaded. Pretty sparkles in the oil...

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
heh, the 20 year old helical LSD i had in my old Montero was tight as new with ~190k miles on it. Ring and pinion are helical gears too, I've never worn a ring/pinion out.