Trump's 03 Tacoma

trump

Adventurist
Very nice work! What kind of air hoes are you using for the ARB, it looks heavy duty compared to stock blue. Also, just wonder how you got your dash to light up FR Lock/RR lock?

The hoses I built up myself. It's steal braided stuff I got from a hotrod shop and used AN-4 Earls fittings... very heavy duty, but also expensive. If I hadn't been given 12ft of it when I purchased the locker, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on it. As for the dashlights... that was a big arts and crafts project of mine with a lengthy write up. You can read through it here:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131514

...and here:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1992404&postcount=16

A lot of reading there, but that should be the whole story of my OCD.:coffeedrink:

trump

Adventurist
Standby for a big change of direction coming soon to this build. It's long overdue for me to address the biggest logistical problem me and my wife have planning our travels/trips. Like many others to us our dogs are family. Having a plan for a sitter long in advance seems the only way we both can do any sort of travel, but is still not an easy thing to setup. Boarding them is ridiculously expensive and cost aside is not an option we're comfortable with. I often find myself going solo because the only option is for her to stay back. That has been a point of contention every time I bring up any plans I have. The solution seems simple enough, take them along.

Looking through the build it is easy to see in current form the truck is less than ideal for transporting a dog, let alone my dogs. They're not average: Maya; a Sheppard mix of 70 lbs and Chester; a Lab/Dane mix of 130 lbs. Simply put, to fit them back into our travel plans I need my bed space back. I recently made a suggestion and we agreed the best thing to do is ditch everything in the bed and move to an AT Flippac.

I will hang on to the RTT for use with the Xterra when needed, but the rack and tire carrier will be on the market soon. I will also be ditching the current rear bumper for a custom built swingout bumper for the tire, Hi-Lift, and jerry can(s). I originally didn't want the extra weight hanging off the rear of the truck, but I don't have a lot of other options now.

I currently have no plans to build an interior for the bed of the truck after getting the Flippac on. I'm already having some anxiety about the finished weight, so throwing wood and carpet at the situation would not help. When all is said and done my gear will be securely strapped in place leaving as much room as possible for the dogs to move around. The Fridge will also remain in the cab instead of the popular bed mount with a slide.

I was shocked at how easy it was to sell this big plan to my wife. I half expected her to attack me, but nothing. Seems I've been grossly underestimating her desire to come along; I couldn't be happier. I'm really looking forward to the new direction and hope it will free us from our current logistical problems with trip planning. This move in direction will serve to keep the peace in the household and ensure plenty of use for all of us, not just me.

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
That's awesome news! About the ATFP and the wife wanting to come along.

For me, my wife was the motivator to go camping. Which is why I have a tent high off the ground. It was ME who required slumber far from the bugs/animals.

Someday in our future is a Taco and a ATFP as well.

trump

Adventurist
Yeah, I'm getting really excited about it. This will serve us much better. The truck as it is now works great for two people, but add the dogs and it might as well be a Prius. Also my bed was resembling what TACODOC coined as "Shipfitters Disease." :coffeedrink:

I'm aiming to have all the details worked out and order placed by the 15th.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I currently have no plans to build an interior for the bed of the truck after getting the Flippac on. I'm already having some anxiety about the finished weight, so throwing wood and carpet at the situation would not help. When all is said and done my gear will be securely strapped in place leaving as much room as possible for the dogs to move around. The Fridge will also remain in the cab instead of the popular bed mount with a slide.

Had I known you were headed in this direction I would have given you a more detailed look at my interior construction - my interior module weighs maybe 50 lbs max and there are many ways to save weight. My entire FP with the dual battery, fridge and furniture weighs no more than 500lbs fully loaded. Besides, you need to consider that step UP to the bed - it's no joke, especially at 3am when nature calls. A modest interior build will give you the option of "sitting inside" in inclement weather to cook, hang out etc as well as possibly providing the pups a better sleeping area. And, once your wife sees that my wife has a private toilet built in she'll want one too :)

Just wait. When "Shipfitters Disease" sets in you'll be looking at all that room back there and the wheels will start turning. Your wife may even contract the disease ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yeah, I'm getting really excited about it. This will serve us much better. The truck as it is now works great for two people, but add the dogs and it might as well be a Prius. Also my bed was resembling what TACODOC coined as "$#!+fitters." :coffeedrink:

I'm aiming to have all the details worked out and order placed by the 15th.

Cool. A couple of suggestions:
1. Get the LED lighting upgrade. Well worth the coin, and avoids clouds of bugs being drawn up into the bed area at night that you'd get with fluorescent bulbs.

2. Get the new rain fly that AT sells (made by SLO Sail), better than the FRP one and you will NEED this if inclement weather hits. Trust me.

3. Don't use clamps or any nonsense to mount that to your bed, use 3 or 4 evenly spaced grade 8 bolts on each side drilled into the bed with washers and nylock nuts. Clamps, although great for street use, WILL work lose and will not last on washboard roads or trails.

4. Don't fight the ensuing bout of Shipfitters, enjoy the journey ;)

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
And, once your wife sees that my wife has a private toilet built in she'll want one too :)

:jump:

I'll take another look next time we meet up. Given the lead time, I might just have it on the truck by Mountain Rendezvous time.

trump

Adventurist
Cool. A couple of suggestions:
1. Get the LED lighting upgrade. Well worth the coin, and avoids clouds of bugs being drawn up into the bed area at night that you'd get with fluorescent bulbs.

2. Get the new rain fly that AT sells (made by SLO Sail), better than the FRP one and you will NEED this if inclement weather hits. Trust me.

3. Don't use clamps or any nonsense to mount that to your bed, use 3 or 4 evenly spaced grade 8 bolts on each side drilled into the bed with washers and nylock nuts. Clamps, although great for street use, WILL work lose and will not last on washboard roads or trails.

4. Don't fight the ensuing bout of Shipfitters, enjoy the journey ;)

Noted on all accounts. You had me sold on the lights in Anza when you told me about the bugs.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Noted on all accounts. You had me sold on the lights in Anza when you told me about the bugs.

You guys are really going to enjoy this upgrade!

The 10 FlipPac Freedoms

* FREEDOM to ignore holiday hotel worries - and bills
* FREEDOM to live comfortably and easily in the open air
* FREEDOM to decide and then go - straight away - for a day, a week, or a month+
* FREEDOM to drive without tiresome towing or technical trail restrictions
* FREEDOM to tour - from the Tetons to Timbuktu - and take your home with you
* FREEDOM to take advantage of those spare moments - those crisp, clear winter days - when owners of other trucks stay at home
* FREEDOM to eat what you like, when you like and cooked how you like it
* FREEDOM to sleep - comfortable and secure up high - at the end of an exciting day
* FREEDOM to enjoy outdoor interests - fishing, shooting, climbing, walking, picnicking - or just exploring that old road to see where it goes!

ABOVE ALL
* FREEDOM to relax, in your mobile home, away from the everyday routine and stress of modern life.

Modified from the original 10 Dormobile Freedoms by MARTIN WALTER LTD.

trump

Adventurist
Funny I just read that from your FP build today.

You guys are really going to enjoy this upgrade!

Yes, Santa will be visiting very early this year bringing a truck full of happy campers.

Christmas2010.jpg

Shamelessly staged for last years Christmas Card. No write up included for custom pre lit tree and inverter mod. :D

toyota_jon

Adventurer
Very nice truck! And I completely agree with your original sentiments, all the little toys and gear we bring should aid our outings, not become the focal point. I can't remember everything I've done to my 4Runner, but I've never forgotten a trail I've done.:smiley_drive:

trump

Adventurist
Very nice truck! And I completely agree with your original sentiments, all the little toys and gear we bring should aid our outings, not become the focal point. I can't remember everything I've done to my 4Runner, but I've never forgotten a trail I've done.:smiley_drive:

Thanks. Yeah, I think one of the reasons I originally got lost in just building the truck was my nature. I come from a long line of "tinkerers." My Grandfather was a notable one. He pioneered building systems (all mechanical of course) for auto photography of wildlife among many, many others. I remember as a child him describing his platform shutter trigger system to have flying squirrels take pictures of themselves in flight. The man was a genus. Here's a little Bio in his Obituary:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Richard-Trump-89698185

I like to think that others here share the same nature, but hopefully it won't keep them from exploring. It never kept me from hitting trails, but I sure did focus a lot on the truck more than the adventure. Maybe if I could have afforded an already fully prepped vehicle I would have focused my energy on something else? ...I'll never know. Maybe I need to focus on cameras now. :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles