True 5 Person Tent Possible? Please Help

1500Rebel

Good morning,

I am new to the site and overlanding in general. A few months back I found the Overland Journal Podcast and have been hooked. I traded in my Prius for a thirsty RAM 1500 Rebel.

My wife and I have three children 6 and under and live near Salt Lake City. Our goal is to get outdoors and explore Utah's backcountry (fly fishing, hiking, etc.)

Enough with the fluff...I have spent hours researching roof top tents. It seems that every YouTube video and blog post are sponsored. So, I figured I would turn to the experts (you) and see if you could help provide any recommendations.

For a family of 5, is there a high quality roof top tent that can hold all of us and our pup? I would prefer a hardshell but believe it's unlikely.

I look forward to becoming more active on the boards and appreciate your help.

Thank you

NatersXJ6

Explorer
There are a few 2.2 meter, or roughly 7 x 8’ folding RTT out there.

I have the CVT Denali. 3 kids and I fit in it quite happily. Wife would fit but her happiness in camping is us going and her staying home.

Dog can sleep in annex or under trailer, her choice. No dog in the tent for me.

1500Rebel

There are a few 2.2 meter, or roughly 7 x 8’ folding RTT out there.

I have the CVT Denali. 3 kids and I fit in it quite happily. Wife would fit but her happiness in camping is us going and her staying home.

Dog can sleep in annex or under trailer, her choice. No dog in the tent for me.

Naters,

Thank you for your help. Other than the CVT Denali do you know of any other brands or models?

Have a great weekend

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m pretty sure Hannibal makes a 2.2 meter, and I-Camper might have one that is close in size. Lots of brands make a 6x8, and you can get away with that while the kids are small.

if you get a tent with an annex, you can have someone sleep in the annex too. Or get a small ground tent for the kids, although the RTT is so much fun that I’m guessing dad ends up in the ground tent, so get a nice one.

Some searching and reading on this forum will help you figure out the brand names, then you can start hitting websites... the offerings change frequently in my opinion.

Johnston

Observer
I would check out 23ZERO and they are in your area. You can go to their show room and check it out. A hard shell will not work for that many people. With the 23ZERO and an annex will work for you for a lot of years.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Since you have a pickup, why not put a camper shell on it and put the kids in the truck bed and keep the RTT for the adults (or vise versa)? Your kids are going to outgrow their ability to fit with you and your wife in the RTT before they outgrow the desire to; add a dog to the mix and it gets sketchy. To keep them all "linked" mount the RTT so that it opens to the rear and open the rear annex opening (may require some modification to allow tailgate to be open).

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Also, and I repeat this constantly, rent or buy for a few weekends first! Why do you think so many classifieds for a RTT used only one trip or a few nights show up? It isn’t for everyone and the shine comes off the penny fast. My wife, for instance, never feels comfortable that the car can support her weight on top, even though she has no problem believing it can support her inside. She doesn’t like the movement of the suspension while sleeping. I guess we will never have a boat.

1500Rebel

I’m pretty sure Hannibal makes a 2.2 meter, and I-Camper might have one that is close in size. Lots of brands make a 6x8, and you can get away with that while the kids are small.

if you get a tent with an annex, you can have someone sleep in the annex too. Or get a small ground tent for the kids, although the RTT is so much fun that I’m guessing dad ends up in the ground tent, so get a nice one.

Some searching and reading on this forum will help you figure out the brand names, then you can start hitting websites... the offerings change frequently in my opinion.

Thanks again Naters, I appreciate all your help!

1500Rebel

I would check out 23ZERO and they are in your area. You can go to their show room and check it out. A hard shell will not work for that many people. With the 23ZERO and an annex will work for you for a lot of years.

Johnston,

I did not realize 23zero is HQ'd in Utah. They are one of the RTT I have become the most interested in. I'll have to find their showroom and stop in. Thank you for your help.

1500Rebel

Since you have a pickup, why not put a camper shell on it and put the kids in the truck bed and keep the RTT for the adults (or vise versa)? Your kids are going to outgrow their ability to fit with you and your wife in the RTT before they outgrow the desire to; add a dog to the mix and it gets sketchy. To keep them all "linked" mount the RTT so that it opens to the rear and open the rear annex opening (may require some modification to allow tailgate to be open).

Yarjammer,

The camper shell is an interesting idea that ill have to explore. My only worry would be the overall height of the truck. I only have about 4 inches until it hits my garage.

Thank you for giving me something to think about.

1500Rebel

Also, and I repeat this constantly, rent or buy for a few weekends first! Why do you think so many classifieds for a RTT used only one trip or a few nights show up? It isn’t for everyone and the shine comes off the penny fast. My wife, for instance, never feels comfortable that the car can support her weight on top, even though she has no problem believing it can support her inside. She doesn’t like the movement of the suspension while sleeping. I guess we will never have a boat.

How do you find somewhere/someone that rents roof top tents? I didnt realize they could be rented, I have been hesitant to drop thousands of dollars without sleeping in one.

Thank you

NatersXJ6

Explorer
When I first got into it, Tepui would rent a tent and trailer. Jucy vans have RTT too. I think others will as well. You might have better luck just being friendly and going to popular camp areas to chat people up. Before I bought my first Tepui, I went to the Tepuifest in Hollister CA. Several people let me climb in their tents or set one up for practice. Ask around. When I was oooking for my large tent I posted an ask on here for people within about 300 miles that would let me drive to their place and set up and check out their tent in their driveway (not sleep in it), I have several responses. You might not get a rental, but an up close investigation and an honest pro/con conversation in a driveway can often be had for a pizza and beer, it’s a good investment if you’re on the fence. If you want to jump on a plane to Fresno, you’re welcome to check mine out, but it’s not for sale.

1500Rebel

When I first got into it, Tepui would rent a tent and trailer. Jucy vans have RTT too. I think others will as well. You might have better luck just being friendly and going to popular camp areas to chat people up. Before I bought my first Tepui, I went to the Tepuifest in Hollister CA. Several people let me climb in their tents or set one up for practice. Ask around. When I was oooking for my large tent I posted an ask on here for people within about 300 miles that would let me drive to their place and set up and check out their tent in their driveway (not sleep in it), I have several responses. You might not get a rental, but an up close investigation and an honest pro/con conversation in a driveway can often be had for a pizza and beer, it’s a good investment if you’re on the fence. If you want to jump on a plane to Fresno, you’re welcome to check mine out, but it’s not for sale.

Naters, thats a great idea. Looks like I'll have to start reaching out to people on the Utah boards. I appreciate the offer to let me check out your tent.

I'll try to stop by 23Zero in the next few days to see if they would rent/try a tent.

Thanks again for all your help and insight.

Randun

Good morning,

I am new to the site and overlanding in general. A few months back I found the Overland Journal Podcast and have been hooked. I traded in my Prius for a thirsty RAM 1500 Rebel.

My wife and I have three children 6 and under and live near Salt Lake City. Our goal is to get outdoors and explore Utah's backcountry (fly fishing, hiking, etc.)

Enough with the fluff...I have spent hours researching roof top tents. It seems that every YouTube video and blog post are sponsored. So, I figured I would turn to the experts (you) and see if you could help provide any recommendations.

For a family of 5, is there a high quality roof top tent that can hold all of us and our pup? I would prefer a hardshell but believe it's unlikely.

I look forward to becoming more active on the boards and appreciate your help.

Thank you
I have a friend that I camp with that has this tent:

They have a family of 6 (counting their dog), and they love it. Since this RTT comes with an annex room, a lot of times they switch up their sleeping arrangements depending on who is going on the trip. The last time I camped with them, they didn't use the annex room and all 5 of them (2 adults and 3 kids, they left the dog at home that trip) slept up top. The time before when I camped with them they slept 2 adults and 2 kids up top, and then in the lower annex room they had their other daughter, 2 of her friends, and the dog. :)

If you really wanted to go the hard-shell route, then you could always add an annex room for extra sleeping room. I have another friend who I camp with that has TSO's Alpha. Their Alphas are on their website here:

They have a family of 5 as well. Two adults, a teenager, a three and a four year old. They always use the annex room when they camp. 4 sleep up top, and the teenager sleeps in the annex room.

So, yes, there are tents out there that will fit your family. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles