Trucks with well over 4000# payload...

WindFromTheWest

So there is one vehicle available in my area, that is the new 6.7 high output dodge Cummins with the aisin transmission, has a 4300lb payload, I would gain a little because I’m taking the box off.
Any reason this wouldn’t work for me? It’s certainly above my budget but I can finance the rest if it gets me on the road and building my rig

Explorerinil

Observer
So there is one vehicle available in my area, that is the new 6.7 high output dodge Cummins with the aisin transmission, has a 4300lb payload, I would gain a little because I’m taking the box off.
Any reason this wouldn’t work for me? It’s certainly above my budget but I can finance the rest if it gets me on the road and building my rig
No it will work fine, if you want a diesel that’s the truck to get.

rruff

Explorer

1 ton, or... ? Diesels still have a lot of fans, but I wouldn't buy one unless I could get away with deleting the emissions. They have loads of torque but you don't need that for hauling a camper. Pulling big trailers is their forte.

WindFromTheWest

1 ton, or... ? Diesels still have a lot of fans, but I wouldn't buy one unless I could get away with deleting the emissions. They have loads of torque but you don't need that for hauling a camper. Pulling big trailers is their forte.
Yeah it’s a 3500 bighorn SRW, I would have to spend the extra to get it deleted but that’s definitely an option down the road

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Of the diesels available and best suited for what you want to do I would say that is the one to get, hence why I got the same thing lol.

dCAM6Lv.jpg

1000arms

SRW or DRW? If DRW, please remember, that type of payload can be obtained with the right SRW modern pickup truck.

Many people (most people?) building a "camper" underestimate the weight of the loaded completed "camper", and, usually by a lot.

Driving at GVWR all the time should be avoided, especially if one will be driving on rough roads or off-road.

The 6.2L is also lighter but fact is the 7.3L is only needed if you are maxxed out towing. For the OPs application, straight truck with a camper, no trailer, the 6.2L is a great choice.

Kind of like do you want an old Vette with a great handling 350? or an old Vette with an overweight 454 that handles like a pig.
Which is a better, more fun car to drive up the coast highway, a Shelby GT350 or a Shelby GT500.

You should do a little more research. Your statement about 6.2 vs 7.3 is false. Weights are almost identical. Go drive both and see which one would be “more fun to drive up the coast”. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindFromTheWest

SRW or DRW? If DRW, please remember, that type of payload can be obtained with the right SRW modern pickup truck.

Many people (most people?) building a "camper" underestimate the weight of the loaded completed "camper", and, usually by a lot.

Driving at GVWR all the time should be avoided, especially if one will be driving on rough roads or off-road.
It is a SRW, it’s a 2021 So it doesn’t get much more modern haha.
I decided against it, I feel like it’s too much money and I am going to meet with Ford about getting a gas 7.3, but I know my dad wants me to get the DRW for better stability.
Why are decisions so hard?! Is it cause I’m a woman??
You are correct that I don’t know exactly what my camper build will cost, the lovely couple from Ambition Strikes built their camper 8 feet long and it weighs 4000 wet with their dogs etc. My camper will be quite similar, 9 feet long though so I am just sticking with the 4000lb number for estimation sake. As I build with a focus on lightweight materials and minimalism if it comes in under weight then there’s more room for toys.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A Ford with the 7.3L isn't much cheaper than the RAM with a diesel, at least not here in the US. There's a base price difference of about $1K when comparing a RAM 3500 SCLB DRW 6.7L CTD 4x4 versus a Ford F-350 SCLB DRW 7.3L gasser. You pay $1,700 to upgrade to the 7.3L as the 6.2L is the base standard motor. Just food for thought.

WindFromTheWest

A Ford with the 7.3L isn't much cheaper than the RAM with a diesel, at least not here in the US. There's a base price difference of about $1K when comparing a RAM 3500 SCLB DRW 6.7L CTD 4x4 versus a Ford F-350 SCLB DRW 7.3L gasser. You pay $1,700 to upgrade to the 7.3L as the 6.2L is the base standard motor. Just food for thought.
I ran through the numbers on the dodge yesterday and it was 82k +tax/fees (crew cab long box, SRW, high output diesel with aisin trans, bighorn package etc which was literally the only truck they had on site)
And judging by the “build my Ford” thing online it looks like 65kish for the MSRP for a super cab long box DRW 7.3L (I have to order it so I can order base trim package) but I haven’t had a chance to go to the Ford dealer and sit down with the guy since it’s Sunday today.
Am I missing something in the cost of the Ford? I’ve never bought a brand new vehicle

ukrboy

Observer
I ran through the numbers on the dodge yesterday and it was 82k +tax/fees (crew cab long box, SRW, high output diesel with aisin trans, bighorn package etc which was literally the only truck they had on site)
And judging by the “build my Ford” thing online it looks like 65kish for the MSRP for a super cab long box DRW 7.3L (I have to order it so I can order base trim package) but I haven’t had a chance to go to the Ford dealer and sit down with the guy since it’s Sunday today.
Am I missing something in the cost of the Ford? I’ve never bought a brand new vehicle

As far as I know Big horn is one of the top trims. So you can’t really compare it to the base model Ford. Try the build and price thing on Ram’s website.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Big Horn isn't top trim, it's second from the bottom. It goes Tradesman (Ford XL), Big Horn/Lone Star (Ford XLT), Laramie (Ford Lariat), Limited Longhorn (Ford King Ranch), Limited (Ford Platinum and Limited). There are obviously numerous options and packages within each trim level that can at times make a lower trim level even more optioned out and more expensive than a higher trim level which is silly.

That sounds like an awfully high priced Big Horn for that number regardless of whether or not it's CAD or USD. Also, you're comparing a crew cab to a super cab which is an extended cab, there will be a price difference there as well.

rruff

Explorer
the lovely couple from Ambition Strikes built their camper 8 feet long and it weighs 4000 wet with their dogs etc. My camper will be quite similar, 9 feet long though so I am just sticking with the 4000lb number for estimation sake. As I build with a focus on lightweight materials and minimalism if it comes in under weight then there’s more room for toys.

Wait... are you sure theirs weighs 4,000 lbs? Where is that mentioned? I know the camper itself was very light...

You don't need DRW or a diesel. But I went back and looked and unless I missed it, you never said exactly what you plan to use this rig for. Full time living in the back country? A few camping trips per year, and staying in campgrounds? Just as a fun project? Just yourself... or how many? What sort of amenities and capabilities do you want? etc

1000arms

... it seems that the f450 has a lower payload than the 350 ...
2021 F-350 DRW pickup trucks and 2021 F-450 DRW pickup trucks have a GVWR of 14,000 pounds in the US version and 6350 Kg in the Canadian version (about 13,970 pounds).

Anything added to the truck cuts in to potential payload (because of the fixed GVWR). Super Cab instead of Regular Cab: less payload. Crew Cab: even less payload. Diesel instead of gas: less payload. F-450 pickup with heavier parts: less payload than a F-350. 4x4 has less payload than a 4x2.

2017+ F-350 pickup trucks and 2017+ F-450 pickup trucks have a fully boxed frame which have greater stiffness than chassis trucks of the same years and models.

This means that the above pickup truck frames will twist less than the chassis trucks. You will likely want to build your camper on a pickup truck to minimize flex in your camper.

It is probably easier for you to insure a pickup truck versus a chassis truck. The pickup truck with bed is a "completed vehicle" in the US. Does anyone know how Canada does this?

.... Why are decisions so hard?! Is it cause I’m a woman?? ...

Nope! It is because you are still figuring out what you want to do, which means you are thinking about things, which is a good thing to do! :)

...You are correct that I don’t know exactly what my camper build will (weigh), the lovely couple from Ambition Strikes built their camper 8 feet long and it weighs 4000 wet with their dogs etc. My camper will be quite similar, 9 feet long though so I am just sticking with the 4000lb number for estimation sake. As I build with a focus on lightweight materials and minimalism if it comes in under weight then there’s more room for toys.
... I am going to meet with Ford about getting a gas 7.3, but I know my dad wants me to get the DRW for better stability. ...

Before ordering a vehicle, get a printout of the build with the options you have chosen to confirm payload, especially if you order a SRW.

How wide a camper box? How tall? Fixed hard walls? Popup with hard walls? Popup with soft walls? Cabover section? If so, how long and how high?

Regular Cab, Super Cab, or Crew Cab? Long Bed or Short Bed?

SRW or DRW? The DRW will help with stability, especially if your camper is tall and wide (consider strong cross-blowing and gusting winds while driving (and camping).

... But I went back and looked and unless I missed it, you never said exactly what you plan to use this rig for. Full time living in the back country? A few camping trips per year, and staying in campgrounds? Just as a fun project? Just yourself... or how many? What sort of amenities and capabilities do you want? etc
And the above questions too. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier