Trucks with well over 4000# payload...

WindFromTheWest

I'm feeling like a total newbie, and getting slightly overwhelmed with the lack of trucks available right now, which has caused me to broaden and change my search several times. I am prepping to build my own aluminum mini earth roamer style camper on the back of a pick up, however I seem to be having trouble narrowing down which models of trucks have a high enough payload capacity and are within my budget of about 50k Canadian Dollars (Located in BC)
Originally I had my heart set on a diesel, but they certainly have a higher upfront cost and are generally less available around here right now, so I have broadened my search to gas trucks as well.
Basically if anyone has any advice on specific models I should search for, it would help me out greatly! Trucks are definitely not my specialty, I'm just some dumb welder ;) Looking to learn a few things during my build and become a much more self sufficient woman.
I know the Ambition Strikes camper is on a Dodge 3500 Cummins, and Andrews' Muse Roamer is on a Ford f-450 6.0L.. which is a hot topic on its own I'm sure.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For that kind of payload you'll be looking at a one-ton or larger so a Ford 350/450 or RAM 3500/4500. I have a single cab long bed RAM 3500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and 3.73 rear end and it has a payload of over 4600lbs. Depending on the axle ratio and engine choice you can get the 3500 with a payload of nearly 7700lbs. The gasser 6.4L Hemi can be loaded up pretty heavy and will run you $9K less than the standard output Cummins. There's a build going on right now in this subforum with a new Hemi 3500.

john61ct

Adventurer
Why aren't you also mentioning GMC / Chevy midsized?

I'm looking for the 8.1L gasser to pull a 14K pound GVW trailer. . .

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Because they are trash!

Lol, I'm jk, kinda, but not really. There's nothing wrong with a GM but they are clearly in third place in HD truck sales these days and they have the least amount of aftermarket support in terms of building it out for off-road/overland use.

WindFromTheWest

Because they are trash!

Lol, I'm jk, kinda, but not really. There's nothing wrong with a GM but they are clearly in third place in HD truck sales these days and they have the least amount of aftermarket support in terms of building it out for off-road/overland use.
They aren't out of the question for me if theres a model with the right specs, the two examples I gave were just builds that came to mind that I figured this community would know and they happen to be on Fords/Dodges

From some of the models I have searched it seems that the f450 has a lower payload than the 350, due to the truck weighing more I suppose. Now I do know there's something about a chassis frame version? Totally not an expert when it comes to trucks.
There are a few f450's for sale around here though and I would bet my chances are better at acquiring one due to less demand from other people. Does anyone drive one and have any input on maintenance costs or fuel mileage?

PS: Thanks for everyone's replies so far :)

nater

Adventurer
If you truly need that much payload - I would look at a 450(0)/550(0)... You dont want to be at the very very max out of the gates... the ram 5500's seem to get a lot of love around here, and likely for good reason.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The (450/4500/550/5500) trucks will have wider axles which makes for a better turning radius. They will also be a DRW so keep that in mind. You can make them into a SRW with a Super Single conversion but you'll have to factor that into your budget. I've been a multiple owner of both makes and they each have their strengths, it seems though as if the RAM gets more love in this world for a few reasons. 1) They have a larger aftermarket for these types of builds (think AEV), 2) they are cheaper than a comparable Ford and 3) a lot of people on this forum are located in the western half of the states and that's Dodge/RAM territory, they dominate the market out west. Keep in mind how rough a DRW truck will ride without a payload or load behind it, something to certainly think about if you don't plan to run heavy or tow often. If buying new most dealers will require you to have a Commercial license in order to purchase a chassis cab truck.

billiebob

GMC/CHEV are great riding trucks with the independent front suspension. But a loaded Ford or Dodge are just as comfortable so as a full time overlander the Cadillac ride is not a selling point since it'll always be loaded.

Durability and Modability. The Ford Dodge solid axle rules here. There is a reason Ford and Dodge dominate the oilfield in Alberta. Has to do with durability. I've never seen a solid axle in for a front end rebuild. But Chev/GMC have trouble hitting 100K miles without major steering driveline work. And the aftermarket, good for Ford, unlimited for Dodge thanks to guys like AEV, expensive and limited for Chev/GMC. Key is expensive. And a lack of durability with a modified IFS.

If you are after an Insterstate puller for 14K#...... the 8.1L gas Chevy is a great choice.
For Forestry Roads and Death Valley, there are better choices.

I agree with the others on which chassis, with a plan of 4000#.... I'd recommend a 450 chassis over a 350 series. Seldom does a plan, fully loaded with people, dogs, water, food, fuel come in under the original target.

And I'd only buy gas. The newer diesels with DEF and emissions are maintenance pigs.
Amazingly, gas engines seem to get better every year.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
But after 2000-2012? there just are no gassers that big right?

Looking at forestry / cherry picker rigs, dump trucks, they're usually asking 20K even for over 150K miles.

And I suspect you wouldn't get much over scrap weight value selling off the extras getting it back to bare chassis rails

1000arms

... I am prepping to build my own aluminum mini earth roamer style camper on the back of a pick up, however I seem to be having trouble narrowing down which models of trucks have a high enough payload capacity and are within my budget of about 50k Canadian Dollars (Located in BC) ...
A 2021 Ford F-350 XL Dual Rear Wheel (DRW), 4x4 Regular Cab Long Bed (RCLB), has a payload of about 7200 pounds (at least the US version does). $53,674 Canadian Dollar MSRP.

• 6.2L 2-valve SOHC Flex Fuel V8 (Gas engine)
  • 4X4
  • TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
  • 4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio
  • Snow Plow/Camper Package$300
  • XL Décor Package$0
  • FX4 Off-Road Package$450
  • XL Value Package$500
  • 17" Argent-painted Steel Wheels (DRW)$0
  • Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank$0
  • Dual Battery$300
  • Alternator – 240 Amp$125
  • LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps$0
  • Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Manual Glass$0
  • Platform Running Boards$0
  • LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T Tires$300
  • Medium Earth Grey$0
  • Vinyl$0
  • HD Vinyl Split Bench 40/20/40 Front Seats$0
  • Floor Covering – Carpet Delete$0
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller$0
  • Cruise Control$0
  • Upfitter Switches$150
  • SYNC®

GeorgeHayduke

From what I've seen most modern crew cab SRW 3500 trucks will have around a 4000 pound payload give or take a few hundred pounds for higher/lower trim levels. Higher payloads for single or extended cabs. The diesels are definitely heavier than the gassers but get assigned a higher GVWR so there actually isn't a huge disparity in rated payload.

My personal preference is Ram for diesels and Ford for gassers. Ford can be had with a factory locker which is nice. The pre-2017 Ford's had c-channel frames and were not as stiff as the Ram frames. It's not a problem from a payload standpoint but you'd probably want a mount that keeps the camper from twisting.

The 450/4500 and above chassis cabs have derated engines, usually bigger gears, flat c-channel frames with closer spacing, better turn radius, and options for larger fuel tanks compared to non-commercial 350/3500's. You'll need to find a place to mount the spare and insuring one for non-commercial purposes can be trickier.

If you don't need a crew cab, maybe also take a look at a Mitsubishi Fuso. They have great payloads and short wheelbases with the cabover style.

D

Deleted member 9101

A 2021 Ford F-350 XL Dual Rear Wheel (DRW), 4x4 Regular Cab Long Bed (RCLB), has a payload of about 7200 pounds (at least the US version does). $53,674 Canadian Dollar MSRP.

• 4X4
  • XL Décor Package$0
  • XL Value Package$500
  • Dual Battery$300
  • Medium Earth Grey$0
  • Vinyl$0
  • Cruise Control$0
  • Upfitter Switches$150
  • SYNC®

I'd pay extra and get the 7.3. the 6.2 is a good motor, but the 7.3 will have to work a lot less to move a loaded down truck.

billiebob

1000arms

• 4X4
  • XL Décor Package$0
  • XL Value Package$500
  • Dual Battery$300
  • Medium Earth Grey$0
  • Vinyl$0
  • Cruise Control$0
  • Upfitter Switches$150
  • SYNC®
I'd pay extra and get the 7.3. the 6.2 is a good motor, but the 7.3 will have to work a lot less to move a loaded down truck.
The 6.2L gas engine is a good engine and a bit cheaper than the 7.3L gas engine, which is why I suggested it, but, I'd get the 7.3L gas engine too. :)

billiebob

The 6.2L gas engine is a good engine and a bit cheaper than the 7.3L gas engine, which is why I suggested it, but, I'd get the 7.3L gas engine too. :)
The 6.2L is also lighter but fact is the 7.3L is only needed if you are maxxed out towing. For the OPs application, straight truck with a camper, no trailer, the 6.2L is a great choice.

Kind of like do you want an old Vette with a great handling 350? or an old Vette with an overweight 454 that handles like a pig.
Which is a better, more fun car to drive up the coast highway, a Shelby GT350 or a Shelby GT500.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94