Truck vs SUV overland vs Wrangler plus overland trailer?

Trucks2019

I am planning a new overland setup and trying to decide on what the best option is for me based on the following criteria:

Plan to travel for 3-6 months
Camping mainly off grid
Will be working remotely 100% of the time
Want to be able to use the vehicle after the overland trip as a daily driver.
Would need to carry snowboard, surf and mountain biking gear.
Would use as a weekend warrior overloading set up after the adventure.

The two options I am currently considering are the pick up truck (tacoma or F150) with overland set up (cap for sleeping, solar roof rack, awning system etc.) OR a wrangler 2 door with an overland trailer.

Any ideas on the pros and cons of these setups?

billiebob

Huge differences....

But 3-6 months across Canada.... I'd go F150 long box regular cab.
JK/JL is tiny. Might be the best daily driver after the adventure but pretty tiny to do it all during the adventure.
You are in Canada, COVID has closed the borders so I guess your is going to be in Canada.

Taco/F150 are kinda similar but the specs say the F150 has more capability. Depending on options, the F150 might offer better range too.

The advantage of a Wrangler towing a TearDrop is zero setup. Depending on yer age/agility the JK/Teardrop might be the best choice. I run a TJR/SquareDrop specifically because I can stop in a rainstorm after dark, roll into bed and in the morning roll out of bed and drive away. Work.... adds a new dimension..... obviously working online but how ? Do you need a desk ? Or an in cab setup? Or do you work from Starbucks....... sorry, just asking question, not meaning to be wise. I doubt any of the choices will affect the ability to work online.

All 3 could be good choices. The F150 offers great compact choice. The JK/Teardrop offers the best flexibility. The Taco is up the middle.

There are no cons to either choice. Just a matter of picking what you want, what will work best. I'd say the trailer choice will be the most expensive. The F150 the least. Taco up the middle.

On a budget, F150, 8' box, regular cab would be my choice.

The advantage of a Wrangler, Tear Drop, after the adventure is being able to couple up Friday and leave town, drop the trailer Monday morning and drive to work. This is what I do. I love it. There is zero setup or packup or unpacking. Drop the trailer, plug in the fridge Monday and forget it all till Friday.

DSCN1497.jpeg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Expedition is shorter than the F150, easier to live with daily. Could pack a pile of crap in it. Far superior space than the Jeep or Taco. Range? Probably better than the jeep or taco given I average 17 in town and 20-24 on road trips.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it's me living out of it for 3-6 months I'm using a full size truck and a travel trailer.

Trucks2019

The trailer feels like the best option, both for the weekend adventures and long term. At the same time however, will finding locations to base not be a challenge with the trailer especially if needing to park in a town for a night? From a practical standpoint I will likely not be spending all the time off-grid, at rec sites.

dman93

Adventurer
This has to be a personal decision. I have never been anywhere fun - in the Western US - that I would have wanted to tow a trailer. But if that combination of slightly unwieldy vehicle to get to camp, and something small when you get there, works for you, then it’s a roomier solution than any pickup. I recently decided that I was tired of cramming all our gear in our Taco and bought a van. About the same length as an F150 SuperCab and the same height as an F150 with FWC (EDIT: actually my HR Transit is a foot higher, at 9’, but still lower than a slide-in cabover) and it’s great to drive and easy to crawl in back and sleep. Plus all bikes inside out of sight. But it still feels huge on the outside compared to the Taco.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have never been anywhere fun - in the Western US - that I would have wanted to tow a trailer..

I do not like towing trailers either. I’d skip this option, personally.

OP didn’t say where he’d be traveling and how difficult the trails. But if he’s considering a trailer and full-size trucks, probably not too technical.

I’d go full-size for sure. There are just no negatives here. More comfortable, more space, more power, more hauling capacity, more versatile, usually better range, same or better MPG. Having driven all day many times in a midsize and full-size trucks, I feel a whooooole lot fresher after a day in the full-size.

@billiebob brings up some good points. Although I’d probably go with a super cab (if passenger space isn’t a priority). Just for some cab storage.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Would use as a weekend warrior overloading set up after the adventure.
If overloading (lol) is the plan, I'd say truck. Personally I'd pick a 1/2 ton. Test drive em all and see what kind of deals you can get on each and pick whichever one you you like best.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I dream about and probably over romanticize the idea of a 4WD Van mostly for the stealth camping aspect and also to be able to keep the motorcycles securely out of sight. That said, everyone that I know that currently owns or has owned one (Sprinter Diesels) have complaints that concern me. Reliability issues with the Mercedes diesel and the smaller dealer network are known issues and their majorly reduced off-road capability in comparison to a full-size truck or Jeep can be somewhat limiting, not to mention their size/height. Combine that with the high entry cost, low availability and the likely the most costly build out of any segment and the appeal starts to slip away from me.

Jeeps are one of the best, if not THE best out of the box off-roaders currently available but they are too small inside IMHO (yes, they are smaller inside than a 4Runner or GX) and they are the least livable in terms of long term comfort which should be paramount if you're planning to do a long term trip like mentioned. Reliability, while not awful, isn't up to par with the Japanese product either. There are tons of great SUV options should you go this route, my suggestions would all be Toyota/Lexus branded.

Trucks, well they are pretty versatile and the options endless. Personally I have no use for a half-ton so if I can't get by with a mid-size like a Tacoma then I am going to go straight to a HD 3/4-ton for similar money to the half-ton and I get a lot more truck for my dollar. RAM, Ford, Tundra, those are all solid options in this category with nearly endless aftermarket availability to mod them out for your needs.

We tried the trailer thing, both a home built military M1101 and a custom off-road camper. It's simply not for us. The inability to stand inside, the trouble of having to navigate certain obstacles and trails and the added liability when in town were just too unappealing to us. You also raise the complexity of navigating otherwise modest trails and increase the liability with more tires/spares to concern yourself with. Some swear by them and we wanted it to be the best option for us, but I just couldn't jive with the whole idea.

IMHO, the best overall option is a full-size truck with either a FWC or modular camper like an AT Habitat. They are easily converted back into a regular truck when you need a bed and the FWC/Shell sold in short order when you are ready to move on. There's eight million different ways to skin this cat and there are loyalist in every camp that will promise you their way is best, but they all have their pros and cons and a lot of those are different depending upon the individual. Good luck with your search/build and try to focus on the trip itself and not so much the tools that will take you there because the majority of this country can easily be seen in a Subaru.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
If your plans involve some serious off-roading than yes the Jeep with a small trailer is the way to go.

if not then there are vans that could provide you better comfort at the end of the long days.

One option would be a Ford Transit AWD, put a lift kit and rear locker + good tires. It’s surprisingly good.

Find a low mileage V8 Ford Eseries and convert it to a proper 4x4 with a locker. If you could find one already converted even better. It’s a very capable rig.

Similar option is to get Nissan NV V8. There are Nissan authorized shops that convert it into the proper 4x4 with Nissan Titan parts. It’s bit small van but it’s basically an HD truck underneath. It’s very comfortable too. (Better than the E series)

I lived in my Saab wagon for 25 days. Slept in it and did studying for my tests. At the end I was exhausted. I needed a room. I also lived in a tent for 4 months when I was hitchhiking across the country and also exhausted me. So comfort isn’t bad, though some people do go crazy and install hot tubs and fire places in there van.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wanted to like the NV Series vans but they are getting axed with the parts supply/support to cease in the next 6-7 years as well and that's unappealing. I second the idea of converting an E-Series, the issue is finding one that isn't a total $hitbox with 250K miles on it and if you do, getting it for under $35K because you'll spend $15K+ on the 4x4 conversion.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@Tex68w
I agree. Nissan is gonna be discontinued and the part will probably be somewhat hard to get, although the NV and the a titan share lot of parts. Had it been a factory built 4x4 I would have bought it.

In the northeast you can still find low mileage 2wd E series around 15-18k. I am not saying it’s cheap but if low mileage is important, and why it wouldn’t, there are some out there.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/816765970/overview/

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Tex68w
I agree. Nissan is gonna be discontinued and the part will probably be somewhat hard to get, although the NV and the a titan share lot of parts. Had it been a factory built 4x4 I would have bought it.

In the northeast you can still find low mileage 2wd E series around 15-18k. I am not saying it’s cheap but if low mileage is important, and why it wouldn’t, there are some out there.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/816765970/overview/

Nice to see they do still exist. My only concern with those is buying anything out of the north east, rust, I hate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles