Truck Utility SpaceKap to Camper Conversion

mobydick 11

Honestly I haven't weighed it yet but while jacking it up I could tell my jacks were struggling a little more. I still think I'm sub 2k but my F250 doesn't notice the extra weight much. I also didn't skimp out on materials. If you stick to 1/8" paneling and light material, you can keep the shelter light. If I were to do it again I would build the same layout, but with lighter materials. Once I get it weighed I will post my findings.

As for the fuel mileage you will suffer, but not as much as a full size truck camper. The profile of these are lower, the reason you don't have much headroom to start with, but I think overall its a better design to start with these shelters.
Thanks for the info . I have started looking at the V8 . they have better towing and load capacity then the V6 . when I dig a little deeper it looks like the ecobust quickly loose there mileage advantage when under load or towing .

Danm7890

Thanks for the info . I have started looking at the V8 . they have better towing and load capacity then the V6 . when I dig a little deeper it looks like the ecobust quickly loose there mileage advantage when under load or towing .

Deff avoid going with the 2.7L as it wont have enough power to get you anywhere on the inclines. I would stick with a v8 or 3.5L ecoboost as the turbos give you better power. As mentioned if you keep the shelter light you shouldn't have issues.

Danm7890

I don't really have any updates but I am looking forward to bring this setup out in the cold for deer hunting in a couple weeks. We have only spent one night inside it, and it stayed very warm with the heater. I will post some more pictures once we get over to Louisiana.

mobydick 11

I don't really have any updates but I am looking forward to bring this setup out in the cold for deer hunting in a couple weeks. We have only spent one night inside it, and it stayed very warm with the heater. I will post some more pictures once we get over to Louisiana.
That is great, I/we are looking forward to seeing them . I ended up getting a new F 250 reg cab long box .

mobydick 11

I have a question ,I have been looking at you pictures and wondering . In the bottom section walls did you try to utilize every little nook and cranny? or just build it out square and stuff it full of insulation ?I hate to wast space but seems like a lot of extra effort to get a couple of little cubicles. That may make it look chopped up.

Danm7890

I have a question ,I have been looking at you pictures and wondering . In the bottom section walls did you try to utilize every little nook and cranny? or just build it out square and stuff it full of insulation ?I hate to wast space but seems like a lot of extra effort to get a couple of little cubicles. That may make it look chopped up.

Ill be honest and say I wasted some space but by the design of it, I think I captured enough useable room for my trips. Some of my items go into the support trailer when traveling.

mobydick 11

If you get a chance could you tell me the height of your camper when its on the truck ? I put a two foot roof extension on mine ,and figure I will be sitting just under 10 feet now . Could not tolerate not being able to stand up straight . Mine was only 54 inches inside when I started .

Danm7890

If you get a chance could you tell me the height of your camper when its on the truck ? I put a two foot roof extension on mine ,and figure I will be sitting just under 10 feet now . Could not tolerate not being able to stand up straight . Mine was only 54 inches inside when I started .

I’ll have to measure it as i would like to know my fixed height.

seamonster

May I ask what kind of jacks you purchased? We just scored an old contractor's box that is similar to the Spacekap (no branding to be found on it unfortunately) and are now in need of some jacks and the options seem endless and confusing.

mobydick 11

May I ask what kind of jacks you purchased? We just scored an old contractor's box that is similar to the Spacekap (no branding to be found on it unfortunately) and are now in need of some jacks and the options seem endless and confusing.
Well after waiting 4 months and then being told may order for new Jack's was canceled by Amazon CA I ordered 4 trailer tung Jack's .. They are 3000 lb rated and have the side screw handles with 15 inches of adjustment . I figure add proper sized pipe extension to the bottom of the legs and some mounting plates and it should work . if you are looking to save some money ,this should be around 650 dollars cheaper then what I originally had on order. And I don't plan on traveling with then on .

seamonster

Well after waiting 4 months and then being told may order for new Jack's was canceled by Amazon CA I ordered 4 trailer tung Jack's .. They are 3000 lb rated and have the side screw handles with 15 inches of adjustment . I figure add proper sized pipe extension to the bottom of the legs and some mounting plates and it should work . if you are looking to save some money ,this should be around 650 dollars cheaper then what I originally had on order. And I don't plan on traveling with then on .
Awesome, that's what we were actually thinking about doing (instead of the big cable jacks that the guy who sold us our unit helped us put it on with). We have a welder friend that can weld up the brackets we need to lift it and help create the right sized extension. I was then thinking of mounting the bottom of them into some railroad ties that are the designated parking spot for the camper when we take it off for added stability and also to help with navigating into and out of the spot when loading the camper.

D

Deleted member 9101

Deff avoid going with the 2.7L as it wont have enough power to get you anywhere on the inclines. I would stick with a v8 or 3.5L ecoboost as the turbos give you better power. As mentioned if you keep the shelter light you shouldn't have issues.

Funny thing...my 2.7 can pull a 7k travel trailer at 70MPH and not slowdown on a grade... it can easily hit the left hand lane and pass slower drivers.

In fact, it pulls my camper better then my 1st or 2nd gen Tundra ever did. Both of them had to slow waaay down coming into Cloudcroft NM... The 2.7 has zero trouble.

Don't discredit it due to it's size. It out pulls the 5.0. In fact it makes the same amount of TQ as the 5.0 at 1500 RPMs lower.

Just curious, are you speaking as someone who ownes and tows/hauls with a 2.7... Or are you just speculating?

Last edited by a moderator:

mobydick 11

Awesome, that's what we were actually thinking about doing (instead of the big cable jacks that the guy who sold us our unit helped us put it on with). We have a welder friend that can weld up the brackets we need to lift it and help create the right sized extension. I was then thinking of mounting the bottom of them into some railroad ties that are the designated parking spot for the camper when we take it off for added stability and also to help with navigating into and out of the spot when loading the camper.
I think the hardest part of what I am trying to do is get the offset right . These caps are pretty much flush with the sides of the box . Would you think 6 inches or a foot is needed ?Can you remember how far off the jacks your guy had were ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles