Truck Utility SpaceKap to Camper Conversion

Danm7890

I picked up this unit off of Facebook with a couple issues like a rotten floor, but overall its a great platform to start with. Truck to carry it is a 2012 F250 XL Crew with an 8' bed and the 6.7L diesel. Dry weight of the slide in is about 800# dry and I'm not sure what all the wood is going to add to it, but we shall see. Here is some photos in order of doing the work up until where I'm at now. Pictures on the truck are when I brought her home. First thing I had to do was buy some heavy duty jacks to get it off the truck.

Pic-16.jpg
Pic-15.jpg
Pic-17.jpg
Pic-19.jpg

Danm7890

First thing to do is take care and replace the rotted floor. I cut out the original glass and also the wood that was sandwiched in between. I put down 1 sheet of mat, glassed it and then put in the new wood and glassed over that. Floor is much stronger now. Next item was the insulation. I wanted to insulate this thing the best I could without spending too much. My divider was the separation point so below it I used 1" rigid insulation and above it I used UltraTouch radiant barrier with recycled cotton from the big orange box store (ordered online). I adhered it between the slats with spray adhesive and it's holding strong.

Pic-06.jpg
Pic-07.jpg
Pic-08.jpg
Pic-09.jpg
Pic-10.jpg
Pic-11.jpg
Pic-12.jpg

Danm7890

Once the insulation and the slats were on it was time to begin running the wood paneling on the ceiling and the sides. While doing the paneling I stopped to make sure the wires were run for all the electrical. I don't plan on having a ton of wiring or electronics in here so it has been rather simple. I am using a WFCO WF8955PECB Black 55 Amps Power Center Converter Charger for my main panel. I have room for a couple circuit breakers for some 15 & 20 amp runs for outlets and 1 main circuit for a portable ac when I need it. Everything else will be 12v and that's why I bought the 55amp converter. I will have one UB1210000-45978 12v 100AH deep cycle battery to pull from as in the future a solar panel would be nice but I do visit campgrounds now so I can plug in. All lights are LED's shallow mount and are broken into two different sections. The first four are going to be run off the main switch when you walk in, and the 4 over the bed have a switch behind the cabinet on the right. The hole in the ceiling will have a Fan-tastic 801200 roof vent with a smoked dome.

Pic13.jpg
Pic-14.jpg
Pic-02.jpg

Pic-03.jpg
Pic-04.jpg
Pic-05.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Once the insulation and the slats were on it was time to begin running the wood paneling on the ceiling and the sides. While doing the paneling I stopped to make sure the wires were run for all the electrical. I don't plan on having a ton of wiring or electronics in here so it has been rather simple. I am using a WFCO WF8955PECB Black 55 Amps Power Center Converter Charger for my main panel. I have room for a couple circuit breakers for some 15 & 20 amp runs for outlets and 1 main circuit for a portable ac when I need it. Everything else will be 12v and that's why I bought the 55amp converter. I will have one UB1210000-45978 12v 100AH deep cycle battery to pull from as in the future a solar panel would be nice but I do visit campgrounds now so I can plug in. All lights are LED's shallow mount and are broken into two different sections. The first four are going to be run off the main switch when you walk in, and the 4 over the bed have a switch behind the cabinet on the right. The hole in the ceiling will have a Fan-tastic 801200 roof vent with a smoked dome.

View attachment 482472
View attachment 482473
View attachment 482474

View attachment 482475
View attachment 482476
View attachment 482477
Subscribed

Danm7890

Looks good. How did you attach the furring strips to the roof of the Kap?

From the factory they had holes already through the shell for the heavy lights, so I used the existing holes and used heavy glue on the rest of it. Each strip on the top has 3 bolts through the hull to hold it plus glue. It’s very strong.

eporter

Adventurer
From the factory they had holes already through the shell for the heavy lights, so I used the existing holes and used heavy glue on the rest of it. Each strip on the top has 3 bolts through the hull to hold it plus glue. It’s very strong.

Nice. Wasn’t sure if there were inserts to screw to in the core of the shell or what. Should be a great camper.

Danm7890

Nice. Wasn’t sure if there were inserts to screw to in the core of the shell or what. Should be a great camper.

Unfortunately there’s not. The shell itself isn’t thick enough to have them. Only way to know it’s strong is to go through it and seal it. I hate making new holes but they were already there! :)

Danm7890

I usually only get a couple hours here and there throughout the week to work on it. I finished the tops of the side and started on the front last night. I don't think I'll be able to touch it until Friday/Sat. Slow and steady!

Pic-20.jpg
Pic-21.jpg

Danm7890

I need to update this. It's been a month or so since I've been able to work on this. I have installed the radio and speakers in the upper cabinets. I have also wired in rear marker lights for higher visibility in the rear along with a 7-way terminal box for connecting the lights to the truck bed. I will have to get some pictures to share.

mainvnt

I picked up this unit off of Facebook with a couple issues like a rotten floor, but overall its a great platform to start with. Truck to carry it is a 2012 F250 XL Crew with an 8' bed and the 6.7L diesel. Dry weight of the slide in is about 800# dry and I'm not sure what all the wood is going to add to it, but we shall see. Here is some photos in order of doing the work up until where I'm at now. Pictures on the truck are when I brought her home. First thing I had to do was buy some heavy duty jacks to get it off the truck.

View attachment 482459
View attachment 482460
View attachment 482461
View attachment 482462
Hi, this project is completely awesome. I’m actually inspiring myself of your post for pretty much the same project (still need to find the cab). Where did you purchase those jack, if you have brand and model that would be even better.
I’m sure I’ll have a few question along the project if you don’t mind ;-). Salutations Nicols

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles