Truck & Travel Trailer Advice

Alloy

If I were you, I'd wait until I was ready to come over here to the States, check out Craig's List, find a newer rig for sale near your port. Arrange to buy a used unit/trailer/truck then buy it, use it and when you're done with it, sell it, for not much less than you paid for it.

This is excellent advice. Often used have the issues worked out as well as upgrades. Worst case if getting used doen't work you can get a new one off the lot.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Whilst this would be ideal, for insurance purposes, I need to stick within my UK licence categories. For me thats 3500kgs (~7700lbs) for the car and the same again for the trailer. A 3/4 ton is over that.

Have you considered looking into the California non-citizen license program? I believe anyone who can pass a test can now get a CA drivers license. It might help with your weight class and insurance questions. Of course, traveling the US with Cali plates can generate a certain amount of animosity from those you visit ?. It usually isn’t too bad unless you roll into a small town repair shop…. $$$…

Ambulance_Man

Have you considered looking into the California non-citizen license program? I believe anyone who can pass a test can now get a CA drivers license. It might help with your weight class and insurance questions. Of course, traveling the US with Cali plates can generate a certain amount of animosity from those you visit ?. It usually isn’t too bad unless you roll into a small town repair shop…. $$$…

Thanks for the info. It appears though this option isn’t viable for tourists.

plumber mike

Adventurer
There are some great prices on Nissan Titans right now. 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty as compared to a 3/36 for domestic. I personally thought I’d like to have one. My wife loved it so I actually bought two of them. A regular one for her and an XD for myself (which might put you over your GVW limit) They tow nicely and the seat comfort for long days is fantastic.
Travel trailers are stacked deep out here. There should still be some great deals in February.
Happy travels!

hbabler

Don’t believe all of the bad things you hear. Not to say that they don’t have issues but we have a Forest River RV and have used it very hard over the last four years. We have had minimal issues and are very happy with it.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Don’t believe all of the bad things you hear. Not to say that they don’t have issues but we have a Forest River RV and have used it very hard over the last four years. We have had minimal issues and are very happy with it.
It must have been made on a Tuesday. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior