Truck topper roof rack

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys, in the market for a functional but reasonable roof rack to add to my truck topper. What do you guys recommend for a base level leer topper that will help distribute the weight of 2 kayaks or a larger cargo box? I really like the look of the prinsu or front runner racks but from the looks of them they don't look like they would adapt well with kayak "J" hooks. What do you guys have and or recommend? Pics would be great!!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I don't know about J hooks, I tend to avoid them, but when I looked at roof racks for my ARE that I had on my ranger I noticed that they all came to something like $400 and you bought them in individual components. So I found a seriously stout steel square tube contracter roof ladder rack by Vantech on Amazon for around $100 when I got it, I think it was the J1000. You shouldn't need something that stout for just 2 kayaks, mine came to a total of maybe 95 lbs and my rack is rated at I think 400 in case you're running giant fishing hybrid boats that get heavy

Use Craigslist to get a used Yakima or Thule gutter style set of towers and bars. Since not many rigs have gutters now, they're usually plentiful and inexpensive. Using the gutter clip adapters, I set my canopy up for three bars. One at each end to support long loads like canoes and kayaks, with the third bar about 3 feet back from the front bar for shorter mounts like bike, ski and roof top boxes. If you use 'J' style kayak mounts instead of saddles, you might use the two front bars. I prefer saddle style like 'Makos'.

Try and get matching lock core numbers for the towers and any of the mounts that have locks. The fewer keys, the better.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately my cap hangs over the side of the bed so the ladder racks won't work with out some modification to the cap. Sounds like you guys are not fans of the j mounts for kayaks. Any reason why? I have 2 single person kayaks and that is the only way I have figured to mount both to the roof.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
J hooks at least the stationary non folding ones add an incredibly unnecessary amount of height all of the time despite being used only occasionally they also require you to buy them 1 at a time usually (maybe thats changed since I looked) so for 2 boats that means shelling out 4 times total, my 2 singles ride cockpit down next to each other this is the least intrusive way I can find drag wise, we also used to use a molne rack, that sadly seems to have been discontinued, very similar to the stax 2 that stood the boats on their side for transport

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately my cap hangs over the side of the bed so the ladder racks won't work with out some modification to the cap. Sounds like you guys are not fans of the j mounts for kayaks. Any reason why? I have 2 single person kayaks and that is the only way I have figured to mount both to the roof.

what do you mean overhangs the side of the bed, in your head do these racks attach to the bed rails? maybe you could upload a picture to better grasp what you mean if i'm wrong

WK, I have and occasionally use a set of J mounts, but only when I have 3 kayaks on top. My double is quite wide. Two glass touring singles fit fine side by side. I keep them cockpit up so the hulls better conform to the mounts. I also store gear in the cockpits, using a nylon cover to keep stuff in and rain out.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
what do you mean overhangs the side of the bed, in your head do these racks attach to the bed rails? maybe you could upload a picture to better grasp what you mean if i'm wrong

Yeah I was originally thinking of the racks that mount to the bed rails and go around a topper. After doing a quick search I see what type of rack you are recommending.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
most of the ones recommended so far are set up so you get to determine the area between the feet, and it's very easy to mount them to fiberglass, my J1000 was originally mounted to my fiberglass cap, it isn't hard just drill, shoot silicon onto the holes and drop the bolts through. it's more work to attach it to my new aluminium cap where I have to re enforce the roof before attaching the rack

FYI- you should also be sure you run nose and tail rope on boats, I learned through my first boat transport that the aluminium rails that hold the fiberglass cap to the bed are only glued on and over time it fails so the cap starts to lift up with things on top of it

armymgdude

Observer
It would be nice to see some pics of what people have installed on their toppers for some more ideas...
fb2a9012fc5d40d8cbfa93d4b271b3b4.jpg

c7423e0fac6c69ad1bcf76adf4abb498.jpg

I built this for my power wagon after the aluminum rack that came with the canopy broke in half. Cost about a hundred bucks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

drewactual

Adventurer
rackandsolar.jpg

this was made by a couple dudes out cali way- diamondrax- custom for my rig... it is actually two racks. one for cab one for bed. they sold the hardware to install...

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Simple setup i got going on, cheap cap, second generation ford explorer roof rails and a curt basket+extension, probably not wide enough to fit 2 canoes or kayaks side by side though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94