truck topper as a place to camp?

FAW3

Adventurer
My set up: IMG_6322.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG
I like a removable mid-rise topper - I want some headroom & as needed I can remove the topper, so no permanent furniture/fittings . I use a Roll-a-Cot (shown previously by other posters), a Thermarest pad, and sleeping bag. Topper has opening and screened windows. I have a 12vt fan and LED light wired in - the light is at the tailgate and pivots...lights the interior or the tailgate area - which is the table. My camping "kit", clothes, food, and other junk is stored in plastic bins (2 stackable bins, and an under bed bin). An Rtic 45 qt cooler sits in the rear seat area of the double cab.

I want storage that is easily removable, dust, bug and weather resistant - that if needed can be moved to the cab or stored on roof/ground and allows my camping kit to always be stored ready to go.

Two adjustable tent poles, some rope, and a tarp provide a flexible canopy system which can be mounted off the rear or side of the truck, or used freestanding, as needed.

Sometimes I haul a MC for more destination fun. Photos are Big Bend NP, doing 6 nights of varied backcountry camping and trail riding.

Taco 11

Just getting started with my set up. Simple sleeping platform with room for a cooler wich will double as a table. D7CA179E-0804-4446-A5F7-7DDB54E19456.jpeg

2scars

Adventurer
This is what my wife and I slept in in Moab. Everyone slept in the back of their trucks. Not the best, but totally doable. It did lead to the purchase of RTTs for 2 of three truck owners after that trip. 6' bed Tacoma.

Attachments

• IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 81

Taco-Bender

Well, I guess this is as good a place as any for my first post.

After watching CL for about a year I ran across a smoking deal on a topper with 3 Yakima racks and a brand new ARB awning. The bad part was it was white. After checking around on prices to get it painted ($500+) I decided to give it a go myself. Removed all the windows, sanded, painted, reinstalled windows with new seals, and threw it back on the truck.

I built a super simple bed/storage cabinet for the back with a nice 4" memory foam mattress. Nothing is bolted in and the entire setup can be removed in about 5 minutes. My goal was to keep things as light and low as possible but still leave a bit of room under the bed and enough room to sit up against the cab window. I still have a few things to do (paint, a couple more lights, etc) but for the most part it's done.

Only had it out one night so far and it was pretty darn comfortable.

Ex Animo

Shortbed life means I really only sleep in the back on solo trips since I have to sleep corner to corner but here is my setup. I also built it so the dog could hangout in the back without stepping allover our gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles