Truck Suggestions? Let's hear your TC hauler thoughts!

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm looking at both the Ford and Ram truck offerings. It would be a 4x4 SRW crew cab short box. Hauling a camper with target dry weight under 2,300 lbs (target weight in low 3,000lb loaded). Will be used on rough roads and off road (will upgrade suspension on any truck). Here's the questions:

1. Fuel mileage: Gas vs Diesel - What is your setup and economy? I like the simplicity of the gas motors but concerned about poor range with low fuel mileage.

2. Reliability: Recommended drive train?
- Ram 2500 or 3500 - 2019 model only considered to get the fully boxed frame and better fit/finish of new build choices would be 6.4L w/ ZF 8 speed or 6.7L Cummins + Aisin. But would opt for basic "Tradesman" version with manual tcase shift.
- Ford F350 : 2017-2020 vs pre-2016 models? Motor choice would be 6.2L gas or Powerstroke. Would also choose a basic version of the truck (less to go wrong).

3. Durability: Frame, Body, Axles... 35-38" tires + heavy load.
Ram uses AAM axles. I've heard issues with ball joints wearing quickly. Other issues?
Ford uses Dana / Sterling axles. Pre-2016 frames are C-Channel - Is this an issue off road? Frame twist camper contact with truck. Any issues with 2017+ trucks?

Thanks for your feedback. Hope this is helpful for others too.

-Peter

Last edited:

CTDJeeperman

I wouldn’t even consider the 2500 or 250. Get a one ton. In the Ram you have to get the 3500 to get the Aisin. Since you want 35-38” tires I’d lean towards Diesel. If you’re ok with 35”s max gas could be ok.

I love being able to coast up steep high elevation mountain passes at 80+ mph in 6th gear in my Ram with 40”s and close to GVWR. Gearing is 4:56. Also the only transfer case shifters I’ve ever had fail were the manual ones. I use my electric one all the time with no issues.

If diesel Id get a Ram 3500/Cummins/Aisin. If gas Id look very seriously at Ford 350/gas7.3/Tremor. Also keep in mind Rams seem to have much more Overland type aftermarket support.

Also not sure if you have a camper in mind but my Dad has a Cirrus 800 and we love it. I’d look at both the 820 and 720 for your application.

For wheels/tires I’d recommend 17” Method NV HD and Toyo Open Country MT 37x13.50R17. Probably the strongest wheel/tire combo without getting very heavy and $$$. I think weight ratings are over 4300/tire.

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
i-Gv9CMTZ-X2.jpg

We have a 2015 F-350 diesel dually. Our 2019 Northern Lite (10.2 limited editon, dry bath) truck camper weighs 3380 dry... and add 500+lbs for fluids & stuff.
Our truck is a bit heavier - platinum build - so that reduces our load capacity (our GVWR is upgraded to 13,000 and I'll bet we are close to it - I am going to get it weighed on our next trip).

We live at 8000ft in the mountains. Literally every drive begins with over 2000 ft of descending for us so the diesel exhaust brake is priceless!
I can go up Vail pass faster & easier than my 2 door jeep can - lol - we have no worry about power.

Cruising over the rockies from Golden to Grand Junction at 75-85mph I average between 11 and 12mpg (that's going over 11,000 ft twice).
If I baby it and try and get good gas mileage I get closer to 15.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

p.s. we obviously do not "offroad" with this setup although we do plenty of back roads & back country dirt roads.
The diesel horsepower gives us all the power we need to tow this behind when we want to go offroading:

i-bg8mvsk-X2.jpg

my point being: If you ever want to tow anything (one of the advantages of a truck camper setup!) you'll probably want the diesel.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Thanks for sharing your vehicle setups. Nice rigs!

From what I've gathered reading many forums... Gas 1 Ton with hard side camper fuel mileage is 10-13mpg. Diesel 1 Ton with hard side camper 12-16mpg. Hard to argue with diesel performance. My concern with diesel is the emissions as we will be going to Mexico. So would either need to remove or buy an old truck. That and the increased complexity, higher repair/maintenance and higher upfront cost. We love our Sprinter RV (averages 17mpg loaded); it would be hard to live with 10mpg... range would be limited depending on tank size too. The truck would need to be a significant capability improvement to make the transition worth while as well.

Better build quality campers seem to include: Northstar, Bigfoot, Northern Lite, Hallmark, Four Wheel Campers. I've owned a 4WC and probably wouldn't buy again.

Research continues....

Darwin

Explorer
Pretty much all of Mexico sells ULSD so I don't see the problem there. The emissions equipment at least on the newer 6.7 cummins engine is pretty reliable.

I will add I also am not impressed with four wheel campers.

Last edited:

mtnjp

Observer
I have a 2017 RAM 3500 CCLB G56 Cummins. It’s been a great truck, mileage isn’t the greatest but the power and the exhaust brake make the deal for me. I get 12-14 with the camper and 17.5 unloaded. That is pushing 75-80 though on the freeways. If you go RAM consider they Idaho dealers, you can still get a 3500 tradesman Aisin for about 47k before fees.

Attachments

• 3BA7A000-9D24-4342-B834-B79B5973E075.jpeg
    3BA7A000-9D24-4342-B834-B79B5973E075.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
2014 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins 68RFE with a 2017 Northern Lite 9-6 here. My camper is 2600 dry, and I am at around 12,200 fully loaded. If I drive “normally” (which is abnormal for me) I can see 15 mpg or slightly better on my 35” tires. This includes mountain passes in BC. If I drive MY normal, I’m more like 12 mpg, but I’m doing 75 mph up those mountain passes, and often towing my 4Runner or boat.

I agree 100% on the 3500/350 thing. Don’t even bother to look at 2500/250s. They may be similarly equipped, but when traveling in foreign countries, I want to know for sure my weight is legal.

I have the NL for winter use in BC. If I lived in an area that didn’t see as much snow and rain, or leave my camper set up and plugged in for extended periods, I’d be in a Hallmark for sure.77E9A85B-388B-409C-9D3A-5E1F0C0990B5.jpeg

kpredator

Adventurer
I’d go with a 1 ton diesel
I’d think hard about going with anything other than a 8 ft bed.
We added a 60 gallon transfer flow
Tank to our rig. Great range !!
Put good e rated tires on it.
Make sure you can get your spare off
While the camper is mounted!!!

kpredator

Adventurer
Why? The camper has jacks and takes less than 5 minutes to remove and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why? The camper has jacks and takes less than 5 minutes to remove and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My last flat was on the alcan.got a call to
Go to work in Nevada ,so we were beelining
It south. It was at night during a little
Snow storm. Does that answer your
Question!!

Darwin

Explorer
If I drive “normally” (which is abnormal for me) I can see 15 mpg or slightly better on my 35” tires.
Is that with the camper on? If so, that's fantastic mileage. I get 13 mpg with my set up chassis cab 4.10 gears 37's occasionally 14 mpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'd like to see that! Do you have a practiced NASCAR pit crew doing this for you? Been doing the truck camper bit for many, many years now and I'd say at my best a half hour for this job. Even longer if you have manual camper jacks.

It's really not some big feat.

Electric jacks and fastguns. Pop the fastguns, raise all 4 jacks at the same time and drive out from under the camper. Reverse to put it back. The fastguns take a minute to walk around and unhook all 4 then you are just waiting on the jacks to raise the camper. If you are changing a tire thats all you have to do.

If it takes you a half hour to put a truck camper in your bed I don't even know what to say. You do realize they make drill adapters for the manual jacks, right? I had manual jacks on an ATC. It took me one install to order the drill adapter. Still only took 15 minutes since you had to walk around while you moved them up a little at a time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles