Truck prep for the Dempster Highway

I doubt that picture on p.1 refueling was “just south of Deadhorse in June”.
The very last tree south of Deadhorse is on the ascent to Chandalar Shelf, south of Atigun Pass, which is itself about 150 miles south of Deadhorse.
There’s NO spruce trees in Alaska north of the Brooks Range. Not only have I driven north of the Brooks Range, but I walked all the way from the headwaters of the Sheenjek to the Arctic coast in 1973. Climate change hasn’t affected the flora that much in a mere 48 years.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Here is a link to all three parts of the TCT article on my Alaska -Canada trip. Since the border will be closed for a while perhaps reading about a trip might be the next best thing. Enjoy

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks to all who have answered so far; keep 'em coming.

CrazyDrei - How did you shred a tire like that? My sidewall patching kung-**** isn't quite up to that.

Mudflaps - OEM won't work? are thick rubber or thinner plastic (sheds mud) better?
I have OEM tube running boards.​

Mud - slippery is imprecise, is it:
Utah red mud slippery (teflon tires on butter)? Absolutely no traction or control.​
Glare ice - very little traction or directional control?​
Hardpack snow/ice - very careful steering, accelerating, braking? Think 'walking on eggshells'.​
Frozen lake - reduced traction, fishtailing, and severe understeer?​

Tires - current Cooper AT3s will have ~ 25,000 miles on them, 0.400 tread depth.
Should I go new?​
AT, hybrid (ST MAXX) or mud tire?​

jgardiner - thanks for the links. That will keep me busy until my map and Milepost arrive.

Bear safety - boat horn and bear spray (2 cans?). I'll see how big of a hassle it is to bring a shotgun into Canada.

Trikebubble - thanks for the detailed post. Being from Minnesota I am well acquainted with Calcium Chloride; we like are roads well seasoned.

I have ordered a 1:4,000,000 map of the Yukon, Northwest Territories, N. Alberta, and N. BC; also 2018 Milepost. I will be spending January and February planning so I will have more questions as I learn more.

Thanks again to all.
jim

JaSAn,

From what I remember, I think I just hit a patch or rocks they used to fill a sink hole/frost heave and it just shredded my tire.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I doubt that picture on p.1 refueling was “just south of Deadhorse in June”.
The very last tree south of Deadhorse is on the ascent to Chandalar Shelf, south of Atigun Pass, which is itself about 150 miles south of Deadhorse.
There’s NO spruce trees in Alaska north of the Brooks Range. Not only have I driven north of the Brooks Range, but I walked all the way from the headwaters of the Sheenjek to the Arctic coast in 1973. Climate change hasn’t affected the flora that much in a mere 48 years.

charlieaarons,

I don't have my milepost or map of the Dalton but this tree was around the Brooks Range for sure, definitely not north of it. Dempster is just about all Arctic Tundra and don't remember seeing any spruce trees along it.

This is the farthest north spruce tree along the Alaska pipeline, do not cut.

CBu6OXo.jpg

Is this tree still around?

I know it was also way before the Chandalar River
iKd5pRT.jpg

Correct. The tree is on the ascent to Chandalar Shelf from the south. Climbing out of the valley of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk.
The only “trees” on the North Slope in the vicinity of the Endicott and Romanzof Mts are dwarf birches, about knee high. I may have seen some tiny spruce in the upper headwaters of the Noatak, below Igikpak, but from a couple of miles away and 2000’ higher.
That tree was still there last time I looked, about 2010.

charlieaarons,

I don't have my milepost or map of the Dalton but this tree was around the Brooks Range for sure, definitely not north of it. Dempster is just about all Arctic Tundra and don't remember seeing any spruce trees along it.

This is the farthest north spruce tree along the Alaska pipeline, do not cut.

Is this tree still around?

I know it was also way before the Chandalar River
There is a few tree up there
This photo was taken just few miles south of Inuvik in 2017 on the Dempster
B6AC56F9-6036-451A-9B8D-7134B43ADD46.jpeg

Wilbah

Adventurer
Dunno if they grade the Dempster or Alcan in spring but I know in places when they do it turns up lots of sharp rocks. Any time you're on freshly graded roads it's a good idea to keep the speed down below 45 or so. Those freshly turned up sharp edges will eat a tire. And while a 2nd spare may be overkill, given the distances between help, I'd rather have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles