Truck Fridge sale. Prices only visible in checkout.

kchristian

Adventurer
I've been shopping for a fridge for quite some time now. I was leaning towards the Edgestar simply because I like to take chances. Well I guess the $400 savings played a roll in that decision as well. Then just before I plunked down the CC, I came across the Truck Fridge line. http://www.truckfridge.com/models.html

They have the Danfross compressor and a decent price tag. They seem to be the same fridge as the Indel B and Ironman Ice Cube but for lot's less money. I wanted to check shipping so I dropped the different models in my cart and came to find out they are even cheaper than advertised on their website.

TF51 $499 not $529
TF41 $479 not $499
TF31 $399 not $479

Seems like a great bargin for a decent quality product. I'm gonna pull the trigger tomorrow morning.

Anyone have any experience with these fridges?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
A few things I don't like about these already is
1) 6 amp draw, the website says this is low...It's actually 3 times what others use.
2) These don't have their own cabinet...they are designed to be installed and left alone, not moved on a regular basis. They provide no protection for the components or handles.
3) Front loading isn't as space or thermal efficient as a top loading. I read they do offer a limited choice of top loaders.
I don't see what angle these things will operate at. Most OTR trucks stay pretty level all the time...off road travel doesn't
Darrell

kchristian

Adventurer
A few things I don't like about these already is
1) 6 amp draw, the website says this is low...It's actually 3 times what others use.
2) These don't have their own cabinet...they are designed to be installed and left alone, not moved on a regular basis. They provide no protection for the components or handles.
3) Front loading isn't as space or thermal efficient as a top loading. I read they do offer a limited choice of top loaders.
I don't see what angle these things will operate at. Most OTR trucks stay pretty level all the time...off road travel doesn't
Darrell

You're looking at the actual truck models. Check out the portable models. They are exactly the same as fridges offered by Ironman and Indel B.

kchristian

Adventurer
Truck Fridge just emailed the user manual and it is an Indel B product. The manual is primarily in Italian with Indel B logos all over the place.

burnoil

Adventurer
Wow, these look like nice fridges. Going to do more research. Thanks for putting the info out!

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have had no problems with my Edgestar. But if I was to do it over, I would likely get one of the Truckfridges. It just seems like it may be the new winner in the cost/quality equation. I don't base that on any hard data, but I personally would pay a few bucks extra for a true Danfoss compressor. Many of the Edgestar's quality issues are overblown, but they do, in fact, have issues. If the Truckfridge has even marginally better assembly quality and a Danfoss compressor, that's a win at under $500. Make sure you give us a real world review!

kchristian

Adventurer
I placed the order today and it's already been picked up by FedEx. I'll be sure to let ya'll know what I think. I'm not sure what I will compare it to, this will be the first 12v fridge I have seen in person.

77volvo

Thanks for the tip on the current sale - I was self-debating on more cooling capacity to augment the Vitrifrigo I have in my 1977 Volvo TGB1313 camper, and the 50L model should do it. Loaded on FedEx today, and due in Seattle mid-next week. I plan to measure the power consumption over the week while camped at the upcoming Northwest Mogfest XIII.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
heres the owners manual funnily on the National luna website

http://www.nationalluna.com/Datasheets/TB31-55A Manual_english.pdf

here's a thread on it here by another well respected supplier
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70116-Indel-B-Travel-Box-Fridge-Test-and-Comparison

here's another version of the manual with better tech specs

http://www.australiandirect.com.au/assets/files/Instruction Manual IB31.pdf

Lists fusing at 15A
1.9-3.8amps operating which is about right for the compressor used in many good fridges

I'm still dreaming of a National luna weekender but this seems to be a good fridge using known parts for a reasonable cost.

ttn333

Observer
My edgestar just crapped out. I'm considering shipping it back for repair (under warranty) which would probably cost about $100 bucks. ( I threw out the packaging.) This looks like a good find. Wish I had started out with this.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
My edgestar just crapped out. I'm considering shipping it back for repair (under warranty) which would probably cost about $100 bucks. ( I threw out the packaging.) This looks like a good find. Wish I had started out with this.

Dont jump to conclusions we know nothing about this fridge yet. It could be a worse product than the edgestar. At least we have hundreds of info on the edgestars. Time will see how this product plays out.

Whats wrong with your edge star? How long have yoy had it? Mine has been through hell and back for about a year and a half and has never failed me

burnoil

Adventurer
So, these look like the exact same units that are on Equipt1's site...but for quite a bit cheaper. If I am wrong then please let us know.

kchristian

Adventurer
New fridge arrived! It's Indel B through and through.

It took all of 44 hours from clicking checkout to receiving my new "TruckFridge". I use quotes because this is in fact an Indel B product, complete with logos and an instruction manual in Italian (with poorly translated English as well).

I took it out of the box and my first impression was, "Holy crap, I don't need a fridge this big." I looked at the specs and measured the space I have available and it will fit just fine. I just overestimated my needs substantially. Turns out 51 liters is a bit overkill for my wife and I. I guess it's time to start having kids.

After I got over the initial shock, I decided to load her up and see what she'll do. I put about 35 16.9 fl. oz. water bottles in and turned it on max. It started out at 95 degrees and after about 30 minutes it's down to 66. I'm not sure if that's good or not compared to the competition. How quickly do other fridges cool?

Here are some pictures about 3 feet from my front door. I was really excited to open it up.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

mbuckner

Adventurer
Here in Phoenix, at 90 degrees ambient, my Engel 45 take about 1 hour to cool down
to 40 degrees in inside. If I load up items that are already cold, then it takes less time ....

Sounds like you unit is lowering the temp just fine ..

Good luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles