Truck frame modifications

Kurben

Hi,
I imported last year a Mercedes Benz 1124 AWD fire truck from Europe. My plan is to convert it to an overland RV. The truck needs some modifications at the frame (eg new crossmember, bigger fuel tanks, relocation of air brake tanks) and I also need a subframe. A2FE18D0-0164-4CD8-9291-666966D4C781.jpegDoes anybody know a company in Michigan which can do this kind of modifications with good quality?
Kurt

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure but on YouTube there is a gentleman under Colorado4x4Van that might be able to answer your questions as he has done something similar.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sweet truck!! The work you are talking about is not really a "frame modification" in the truck sense... All of those things are held to the frame by brackets and bolts. Holes are allowed to be drilled in frames when necessary, as long as certain guidelines are followed. Any good heavy duty repair shop should be able to do the work you are talking about, though I would be careful when adding crossmembers, as it is possible to create a stress riser if it is not done properly. (And perhaps the reason you are asking...)

If you're looking for a recommendation, and there's a Valley truck parts anywhere near you, I'd stop there and ask if they would make a recommendation. They would be familiar with any local shops, and likely with their reputation as well. I'm from northern Michigan, and a lot of this type of work was done by a business that I believe now goes by Northern Michigan Truck and Equipment Repair, in Petoskey...
Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke