Truck for my son?

OldCrow

Posting in the Toyota forum as that's what I've mostly driven over the years (LC, 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra) although I'm currently Toyota-less.

Someone rear ended my son in his Honda Element and the insurance company is going to total it. He's decided that he'd like a truck instead. I'm going to help him with the difference in price as an early college grad present as he's worked hard and has gotten good grades his first few years. Total budget is maybe $12K or less.

He lives in Bellingham (attends WWU), goes camping every chance he gets and is an avid snowboarder in winter. He wants something with a 6' bed and a topper so he can build a sleeping platform in the back. My thought is an early 2,000's Tacoma. Anything to watch out for with that era of Tacoma's?

Thoughts on alternatives to the Tacoma? It seems to be the highest price truck of that age. Ranger? Full-size?

Thanks in advance!

chasespeed

Explorer
I'm happy with my Taco, mostly(I prefer a stick, but, my wife cant drive one).

Bang for the buck, goes to the Frontier in my opinion. Just as reliable, and I live in New England, and i never see them with rot....

They can be had for a good price, I'd personally go after a 2nd gen, with a 6mt. What I was gonna snag before I caved and bought my new truck.

I loved my Frontier, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

That era tacoma, I cant really help you though.

They both build reliable trucks, and brand loyalty can be incredibly fierce...so...

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bkg

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Greetings from Bellingham, WA. Its nice place to live and recreate, and you will find that used Toyota truck resale is exceptionally high in our area especially, as well as the entire pacific northwest.

I began my search for a 4x4 camping and adventure rig mid of 2016 with a similar budget but discovered that 4x4 Tacomas, Tundras, 4runners and FJ's in the $12k range either had far too many miles than I'd prefer or simply weren't available at all.

In the sub $10k range I considered F150 V8's, 1st and 2nd Gen Xterra, 12 Valve cummins Ram and T100 projects. Some common drivetrain issues and or project costs scared me away from most of these choices. I looked at 1st gen Frontiers ('98-'04), which generally have a strong reputation for reliability but fewer older models still on the road and a much less robust aftermarket parts and support eco system than most Yotas. Eventually I gave up on the idea of buying cash outright and decided to finance a truck with less miles and more airbags. The $14-17k range opens up a ton of options within the used Yota lineup and In my opinion one of the best buys right now is the 1st Generation Tundra, 4x4 4.7L V8. In my opinion you get "more" truck for your money than a 1st or 2nd gen Tacoma unless you're really attached to the idea of the 3.4 or 4.0L motor and the aftermarket support that Taco's offer.

The 1st gen Tundras have excellent payload and tow ratings which your son may want to take advantage of in the future. Truck camper, travel trailer, Motorcycles etc. Resale is more reasonable than Tacos with similar mileage. Long term maintenance cost on the 4.7 is slightly higher due to timing belt service intervals every 100k miles and a higher engine oil capacity. Fuel economy is reasonable compared to domestic trucks and about 2mpg lower than the 4.0L V6. These drivetrains last a very very long time.

If you're shopping for a Toyota pickup, starting at the $12k price point and you aren't dead set on a Tacoma, I recommend you two strongly consider the Tundra, or at the very least, consider stretching the budget to accommodate regional resale values. I flew to Chicago to buy my 4th gen 4runner 4.7L and saved several thousand dollars in the process, so shopping in a less inflated market may be advantageous for you as well.

jeepstream

Observer
I was somewhat turned off by the higher prices of the early Tacomas when I was looking for a truck this summer. However, there is a reason they hold their value so well. This also translates into value when you go to sell it, too. Evidence of the durability of the 3.4L is easily seen in 4Runner and Tacoma listings all over the internet. My personal ah-ha moment was moving a 2000 4Runner in my driveway with 500,000 miles that my wife’s friend owned. I know she wasn’t meticulous about maintaining or babying it. Find a clean one in Arizona and make a fun holiday out of driving it back to Washington.432B5335-1C77-4706-A6EA-A10C2CE6DD6F.jpeg

Clutch

<---Pass
Find a clean one in Arizona and make a fun holiday out of driving it back to Washington.

There are a lot of Tacomas on the Portland/Seattle CL right now, since they don't get much snow there, they are as clean as you find in AZ...maybe even a little more so since usually the clear coat isn't baked off, nor are the rubber and plastic bits dry rotted. I am from AZ and so is my Tacoma (have been in Idaho the last 4 years)...it is clean as far as rust goes but lots of rubber and plastic bits are falling apart.

https://portland.craigslist.org/sea...to_make_model=toyota+tacoma&auto_drivetrain=3

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sear...to_make_model=toyota+tacoma&auto_drivetrain=3

To the OP.

I generally look for unmodified vehicles, they tend to be not beaten on like the modded ones have.

Make sure the timing belt and water pump has been done on the 3.4 V6. If it hasn't, not a huge deal, since it is a non-interface engine...so even if it does snap, it won't destroy the engine.

Check the carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft, rear axle seals, cam seals (if it is leaking it could be mistaken for a rear main). Valve cover gaskets, oil cooler on the side of the engine (disc looking thing on the driver's side, can been seen through the inner fender/suspension", tie rods, ball joints, CV boots...basically all the normal stuff with a quick glance over.

If there is a little play in the steering it could be the tie rods, however, it most likely coming from the safety collapsable steering column. There is a plastic shim of sorts on the telescoping shaft that wears out and causes a little bit of play...easy fix as it only takes 20-30 minutes to repair....trick is to pull the column out and tack weld the shafts. Think it is like 2 bolts, a couple springs, disconnect the steering wheel wiring harness, the coupler on the floor board...and it slides out super easy.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I have a friend who has 2 Rangers. One is a 2000 and the other is a 2008, I think. Both have the V6 engine. And both have been very reliable. You can find them cheaper as well. They don’t have as much aftermarket support as the Tacoma, but for your son, that shouldn’t matter.

I probably wouldn’t go full size. Makes no sense for a single kid. Midsize is cooler anyway. ?

My Tacoma is nice. But I would be happy with a Ranger as well.

andrew61987

Observer
If he's planning to sleep in the topper, make sure that he's no taller than ~5'10 to actually (somewhat comfortably) fit in the 6ft bed. I'm 6ft tall and sleeping in the 6ft bed is very uncomfortable.

On the contrary I'm 6'2" and I sleep in my 6' bed Tacoma extremely comfortably and on a regular basis. A slight diagonal is all you need and that's assuming you stretch out. I usually sleep with a slight bend in my legs and it's a non issue even with somebody back there with me.

OP: You can probably find a 2005-2008 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacoma right at your price range. Either Access cab or Regular cab. The reason I'd recommend this truck is because the bed has a very handy ledge molded all the way around that makes building a sleeping platform SO much easier. It was literally designed for it. And that 4 cylinder is extremely reliable, like the Toyota 4 cylinders of the past (they really haven't missed a beat since the early 80s).

FJOE

Regular Dude
The Nissan Frontiers and Xterra's are great. I have had a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Xterra and miss them both. I got a chance to drive a new Frontier Pro 4x a couple months back and was blown away. I'm sure you could find an older one, and still have some cash left over for associated maintenance and a few additions.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Keep your eyes peeled, the right deal will come along eventually. Personally I don't think that the Nissan is even in the same league, they are reliable and much cheaper though. Have you considered finding one further away and either having it shipped or do a fly-buy-drive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94