Truck camping-looking for suggestions on organization and storage

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to get more organized for camping. We have one duffel bag from REI that is handy for a lot of bigger items but we don't have an effective way of carrying the smaller stuff. The rest of our stuff is not organized and it adds an unnecessary level of stress to the planning stage.

Things I'm looking to store would include:

• spices
  • cooking utensils/napkins etc
  • non refrigerated condiments
  • basically all the other small to medium sized things needed for camping.

I thought about some of these packing cubes but I'm looking for help from our more experienced campers.

1568740760430.png

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Kinda been eyeing this myself lately....

Kinda been eyeing this myself lately....

That's expensive but I bet the quality is great. I actually think their gear bag might suit me a little better. Good suggestion, thank you!

@brianb2 , good suggestion as well. More economical for sure.

GHI

Adventurer
I bought one of these toiletry shave kit bags from Red Oxx years ago. I've since purchased numerous more in various colors. One is an actual hygiene kit, another a first aid kit, a kitchen kit, a tool bag. I also roll all my clothes and can fit quite a bit in a few of these. I am not affiliated with this company. I just own and regularly use several of their products.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
“We have one duffel bag from REI that is handy for a lot of bigger items”

The bigger duffels with just the straight, single long zipper kinda suck because you have to dig though a narrow opening to get to everything. You might try to find some of the ones with the U shaped zipper.

Most of the above are soft sided containers. They might be lighter to carry but they also can be harder to stack and secure, plus the stuff you put inside is subject to crushing. This choice is probably just a matter of personal preference though.

If you have one of these places nearby, you might check them out for affordable hard sided (clear plastic) stackable storage containers of all sizes:

ottsville

Observer
I like plastic tubs for lots of uses, as long as they are appropriately sized so you don't need to dig through. Clearish ones are nice but don't hold up well in general. When I camped a lot, I had all my gear set that it was always ready to go and I just had to pack food and clothing.

s.e.charles

very useful boxes - they notch-in to each other when stacked. not locked, but located might be a better description. then wrap the stack with a web/ cam cleat strap.

surround with various soft bags for cushioning & noise dampening.

very useful boxes - they notch-in to each other when stacked. not locked, but located might be a better description. then wrap the stack with a web/ cam cleat strap.

surround with various soft bags for cushioning & noise dampening.

Those look promising. Thanks

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I like going with the stackable containers. Divided by groups of gear so I can just grab and go camping based on what I need.

Tent+Bedding Box
Kitchen Box
Non-Refrig Food box
Portatoilet+Shower box
Misc Box

Make sure it's all cleaned and ready to go when you pack up so you just throw the boxes in your rig, add food, and take off.

I like going with the stackable containers. Divided by groups of gear so I can just grab and go camping based on what I need.

Tent+Bedding Box
Kitchen Box
Non-Refrig Food box
Portatoilet+Shower box
Misc Box

Make sure it's all cleaned and ready to go when you pack up so you just throw the boxes in your rig, add food, and take off.
That’s pretty much what I do too, except I have an RTT with a two person sleeping bag that folds up with it and I don’t have a portatoilet. I bolted mini d-ring shackles to the tailgate end of the bed to strap my cooler in place and keep the dry food in the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles