Truck Camper Wet Camping in Winter (Bigfoot)

GodwinAustin

Hi everyone ! I just purchased a 2006 Bigfoot 15C9.3 and am excited to get out in it !

I have a question regarding cold weather camping. I will be using this camper in the winter to ski and snowmobile and was wondering what the process would be to keep the use of water. I am guessing using a space heater when the truck is parked is essential, although since this is a non basement model I wonder if it would be ok to just leave a heater in the camper itself. Not sure when moving how to keep things from freezing either.

Jonnyo

Observer
dont you have a furnace in it? you can keep that running while driving and that will keep everything from freezing. you might have to open some interior doors so the air goes everywhere if it s really cold but that is how i would do it. i had a northern lite years ago and those are the best winter truck camper on the market. insulation was amazing.

GodwinAustin

I do but these propane units are not very efficient. I was curious about installing a diesel heater in place of the propane one and tie into the 60 gallon diesel tank of my Cummins. The diesel heaters are super efficient and that 60 gallon tank would go a longgggg way. Anyone done this ?

Jonnyo

Observer
a diesel heater is a great idea and much more efficient. i have a chinese diesel heater in my current van and it s been amazing and cant recommend it highly enough. reliable, easy to install and cost less then 200$ with all the attachment and pieces.

::Squish::

Observer
We have a bigfoot 1500, and it is not a four season prepped camper.
we added a digital thermostat that kicks on as low as 50degrees f. We open the doors to the bathroom and where the water tanks are. And we back up our heater with a Mr Heater Buddy heater. We’ve also added foam insulation to the windows and the fan vents and escape hatch. And are looking at doing foam insulation in the voids on the ladder frame the goes under our camper in the bed of the truck. These steps have kept us good down to around 29 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles