Truck Camper steps for a northern lite camper

tyv12

Adventurer
Just bought my first truck camper, got tired of towing a trailer so bought a 2011 ram 3500 CCLB cummins 6spd and 2000 Northern Lite 10.2 camper. Just getting it all set up and it uses scissor stairs that look like a death trap as I have 3 kids under 5. Seeing what recommendations you guys have for steps or a setup that could be safer for kids
0e0e5081921c03a8698142631a6fea21.jpg
e40220242191ee213e92bc240da21e76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suffered with those scissor steps for 13 years with my Bigfoot truck camper. A few months ago I picked up a 2018 Northern Lite 10.2 with the porch option. I bought the unit off the lot and I thought I'd hate the porch. I even talked to the dealer about removing it. Anyhow, I kept it and I love it. Works well with towing the Jeep too. Maybe Northern Lite could sell you the porch and you could add it ? I have no idea of course, but with 3 young kids it sure would be worth a call.

20180429_190252.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I suffered with those scissor steps for 13 years with my Bigfoot truck camper. A few months ago I picked up a 2018 Northern Lite 10.2 with the porch option. I bought the unit off the lot and I thought I'd hate the porch. I even talked to the dealer about removing it. Anyhow, I kept it and I love it. Works well with towing the Jeep too. Maybe Northern Lite could sell you the porch and you could add it ? I have no idea of course, but with 3 young kids it sure would be worth a call.

View attachment 445991
Yeah,my scissors steps can be a hazard to navigation at times. Those are great.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I factory ordered my 2017 Northern Lite and specifically avoided the “porch”. I fabricated my own steps that insert into the receiver hitch. The pic below is with them in “travel” mode where they tuck way up and in under the camper. In “camp” mode they mount with a second 2” insert that puts them out and lower. They are super stable and cost me $20 versus the $2800 for the porch and step factory option.AEA18209-A079-439E-A877-4C165F3B4E06.jpeg

tyv12

Adventurer
I realized After that having the porch sticking out even more would be a pain

After some research I ended up going with a 4 step little giant ladder and took it apart, turned out perfect and the first step ends up being about 9" out of the camper which is reasonable. It clips into the same slots othat the scissor did and is way safer and easier for the kids to access. Very happy with how it turned out
00f9fa33b713b61b9f1b6a78d0cfaeeb.jpg
595246cef9e67ae6670c42124e6d4db0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
df026b6a855ec653fb3e51331817dfe4.jpg

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Torklift Glow Steps with the Stow N' Go Bracket:

Steps:

Bracket:

When I had my truck and camper I had a set of the standard steps. I worked on those for years to keep them tight and stable. Then one day I was at an RV dealer and they had a set of Torklift steps in stock that they ordered by mistake. I bought them and put them on my truck and WOW talk about stable and soooo much safer, not even close to the old steps as I could not even feel them move when using them. They also have a railing that you can get to help with people being safer going up and down, I would have bought that as well but sold the TCer.

mabt

I have a Bigfoot 2500 10.6 with a porch and folding stairs. I have also owned the same unit with the 'accordion' death trap stairs.
Presently, I'd be happier without the porch and stairs, but with a custom, removable setup similar to what some have posted here. The primary reason is that getting on and off islands requires ferries. Ferries often have an overlength charge and in my case the 'porch' adds 2 feet to the overall length. I figure on each trip to my wife's sister's place I pay for those stairs coming and going on 3 different ferries. It's about $6.50 a foot each way per ferry ride.

Secondly, the stairs fold up but are not removeable so they are bolted on underneath the backside of the porch. This limits the vehicle's ability exiting a stream or a small gulley if you don't want to drag the stairs. ( You don't!)
Backing into parking spaces with high divider barriers needs attention as well.

My 2 cents.

::Squish::

Observer
2000 Bigfoot 1500 with their stock stairs and they suck...

The trick is getting the steps all squared up and stable.

But out Imp she managed to learn how to use them with out much hassle.

We cleaned our up and put nylon washers and nylock nuts to help make ours more stable.

We also now just use a three step step ladder. That was a great addition to the camper and we use those most of the time when going in or out only trouble is you have to back out of the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles