Truck Bed Storage Ideas and Suggestions

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
So I recently purchased a 2020 Ford Raptor, and I’m trying to get some thoughts on truck bed storage. In the past I’ve had a tool box mounted in the bed, but I’d rather not lose any bed length. I’ve looked at the Decked System, but with a tonneau cover theres not a lot of space between Decked and the bed cover, plus I don’t know if I want to reduce the bed depth. That leaves me with the swing out tool boxes, but with the plastic I wonder how durable they are?

I’m open to thoughts/suggestions y’all might have.

Mfitz

So I recently purchased a 2020 Ford Raptor, and I’m trying to get some thoughts on truck bed storage. In the past I’ve had a tool box mounted in the bed, but I’d rather not lose any bed length. I’ve looked at the Decked System, but with a tonneau cover theres not a lot of space between Decked and the bed cover, plus I don’t know if I want to reduce the bed depth. That leaves me with the swing out tool boxes, but with the plastic I wonder how durable they are?

You could do one long drawer, full bed length but only 1/3 or 1/2 bed width, maybe 12 or 16 inches deep. Make it easily removable so if you need to haul something larger it gives you flexibility. Other options include a Thule load bar system (not the tall racks) that sits on the bed rails outside your tonneau cover, mount a flat rack on top of the Thule. I have a rack on top of my F150 that sits 6 inches above my tonneau cover and I have 3 bike trays and a flat rack that I strap paddleboards or bins to when needed. I had 3 inflatable paddleboards and two bikes above my tonneau cover for most of last summer while I was traveling and still had full use of the bed under the cover. If I need to remove it I just unlock the 4 Thule feet and two people can lift the whole thing off in one piece, 3 minutes. I guess it depends on what you want to store and where you want to store it.

I’ve looked at the Decked System, but with a tonneau cover theres not a lot of space between Decked and the bed cover, plus I don’t know if I want to reduce the bed depth
Wanted to throw our (biased) opinion in here. We like to say that what you lose in volume you gain in surface area. By getting you above the wheel well you have more space for loading in wider objects or a larger sleeping space when camping.

For the spacing between the tonneau covers, unfortunately there is not much we can do there. It is a smaller space but perfect for those thinner items that wont fit in the drawers. The DECKED system is also really easy to take in and out if you need that full bed space for moving dirt.

Happy to help if you have any other specific questions around DECKED

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Wanted to throw our (biased) opinion in here. We like to say that what you lose in volume you gain in surface area. By getting you above the wheel well you have more space for loading in wider objects or a larger sleeping space when camping.

For the spacing between the tonneau covers, unfortunately there is not much we can do there. It is a smaller space but perfect for those thinner items that wont fit in the drawers. The DECKED system is also really easy to take in and out if you need that full bed space for moving dirt.

Happy to help if you have any other specific questions around DECKED

I appreciate the response. I really like the Decked System, but my big concern is with the tonneau cover rolled back there’s not a lot of room between the cover and the Decked system. There’s times when I load up the truck to go hunting, and with all of the gear we take, some of it won’t fit between the Decked system and the cover.

smokeysevin

Observer
d392fbcde45ca190444c51db6cb1b6e7-jpg.560247

d27be0a868ae0f98307b572391896eb2-jpg.560246

Here is what I ended up doing. It was important for me to be able to still move full sheets of plywood and other materials so I needed to get my storage up off the bed floor. I also needed a spare tire mount since I installed the cantilever system under the bed.

The ammo cans are 40mm belt fed and can be found for $20-30

In the cans is tools, recovery gear, and a set of emergency fluids. I also have the floor jack on a quick release mount.

Sean

adaml

I really want to pull the trigger on a Decked system but my only hesitation is that I wish the drawers were rectangular instead of that isosceles trapezoid shape

paulforeman

I had the plastic ones before, but not the swing out ones. Keep in mind if you use plastic ones, you're going to either have to open the topper every time, or if you use the swing-out kind, you have to have room to swing them out... not great. They are also extremely easy to break into if you ever go without the Tonneau cover. I just picked up an Adrian Steel storage drawer that is actually designed for work vans. There are a ton of different sizes available. Weather Guard also makes some all aluminum low-profile drawers that fit truck beds well.
FKrR0c1fLiez0623v744aJwazkAcz0hlHXxx_cUSxGKUZG37L31tbANNONQiW9vr8L2UjoiRUhoeH68uw3jayfyZjg-Da1fGXwOPCNBrV2l6hatLy-vtTDXE90FffyAjecPwIWMBTmc-qc85wVc4SGdpd1xt3E2lbYf9iwUO9QDH-FZgLOfDoJCxJ07zM6N1MyfL-BijIbTEKiyFV3YhThS_OdW0BSunhK7G-CG9Efkki9dLqt9lJL3iIqVgyVgUM6lCe8S4r7Y7YW6Nnpv83Ecn0ErPD8aBMbgH5nMBYzVDvlxPfKTrVV1RZ16CpcFKHp49YrV4ptcRA9GvxXiSnYxrohuJqrRBblb-7qIB3C9xdAxl2Ueh_ds9ak_8NAMpXVaRwroK1sdjQqXCuzBiWK_lyfxwtUM3LN8U3SYeQ_yN1_mamqm6C9T-d5AP7VIhN2RtmwNqIr-iL4kf_NCwRGAd9HskNZFN6mJCw6W0MRAeMY-zrrO0iO9AmmzX37ImQ_XKCpg_snPuPjMd0z1eoQdbCheyRYHBD3xibQo-F3dIvhvJFwQ77MLd7sZ76vr--JtaRmErRLejFtr02AVTV3JnqSZi5zJl5oeG45B4sD71QL00IVWEVjJEpjAccLtTZz6s2NCAxyIfiuFpQDCafJFxWLV2TwCeAIkW3ki9-Cl68MhlR9tx4YY7CCb4kg=w1157-h867-no

adaml

Where'd you get the underseat storage? I've seen those before and I like the idea but I find that there are a few times that I need to lift up the seats to actually use the floor space.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Where'd you get the underseat storage? I've seen those before and I like the idea but I find that there are a few times that I need to lift up the seats to actually use the floor space.

Here’s a link to EBay

rayra

Expedition Leader

How about some criteria on what you want to do with it, instead of just s short list of dislikes? Like what needs to fit in it? Does it have to be weatherproof? WIll it be exposed to the weather. Do you plant to have a cover or tonneau or shell? Budget? Skills for home-built?

Otherwise, there's a 1000 different configs in this topic - https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/post-up-your-drawer-storage-system.9034/unread

TexasGunnersmate

d392fbcde45ca190444c51db6cb1b6e7-jpg.560247

d27be0a868ae0f98307b572391896eb2-jpg.560246

Here is what I ended up doing. It was important for me to be able to still move full sheets of plywood and other materials so I needed to get my storage up off the bed floor. I also needed a spare tire mount since I installed the cantilever system under the bed.

The ammo cans are 40mm belt fed and can be found for $20-30

In the cans is tools, recovery gear, and a set of emergency fluids. I also have the floor jack on a quick release mount.

Sean
What jack mount are you using? I've looked a few but I'd like to hear about yours and any pros or cons.

Thanks

smokeysevin

Observer
What jack mount are you using? I've looked a few but I'd like to hear about yours and any pros or cons.

Thanks
My jack mount/skid plate is from tt motorsports but I am not sure its made anymore. I like it for what it is. Its does rattle but thats more to do with the jack than the mount.

The mount and plate itself fit really well and has a provision for a lock. I made the jack handle mount myself, its some tube with a captive spring in it to keep the handle from rattling.

I would recommend it if its still there. Solo motorsports makes a really nice one as well but I have not used it myself.

I chose a floor jack for the versatility of it and because I don't have any points to use a hilift. It has come in handy when a trailer bunk shifted and I had to raise a jetski hull off my trailer deck.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94