Truck bed setups???

swrider

Observer
Hello everyone, total noob when it comes to camping and overlanding, and trying to learn as much as possible.
So far I have the vehicle that i want to use for overlanding, a 2014 Silverado 4x4 and most of the essential gear for a weekend of camping/exploring.
My question for now is, how do u guys keep your gear secure in the bed of your truck. I can't afford a shell at the moment, and don't really want one, which leaves me with an open truck bed. But how do i keep my gear stowed away, safe and secure.
I was wondering if you guys can post pics of how your trucks look when you take them out.
Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swduncan

Observer
I'm using a tonneau cover at the moment, but will be getting a softopper soon. I go back and forth between soft and hard, but I use my truck for so many different things I like the versatility of the softopper.

I've thought of just using the open bed, but I'd feel like the gear is just too exposed to weather and road grime.

I'm also looking at adding l-track to the bed to provide better tie-down points. I don't do real off-roading, it's more to keep stuff from sliding around.

malibubts

Adventurer
I have a shell on my truck as well as the Decked drawer system in it. So far I really like the setup. The shell keeps everything dry and the Decked gives a big flat surface to sleep and keep gear on.

IMG_0325 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_9888 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

I know you don't want to run a shell, but the Decked could still work. You could throw a soft or hard cover over it or just run with nothing, they are pretty weather tight. You also can't get the drawers open if the tailgate is shut so there's some extra security there.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Edit: Tried to post from my phone, which seems to not have worked out too well. The photos are fixed.

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
...trying to learn as much as possible. ...for overlanding,...for a weekend of camping/exploring....a shell...don't really want one...

I think you've hit on the crux of the Expo-ditioneers conundrum: there seems to be an invisible wall between the casual truck camper guy and real expeditioners. even if the rig is the daily driver, there appears to be a demarcation that no one mistake it for a "regular vehicle".

choose your accessories wisely!

swduncan

Observer
If you saw my truck it would look like a stock truck with a tonneau cover on it. 13 years and two trucks and I've yet to have anything ripped off. Most of the time it's empty back there though.

I've ordered a Softopper, and if they manage to get the right one to me I'll be using that going forward.

I like the security of a hard shell, but hate everything else about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior