Truck bed mounted filtered water

nucktaco

Adventurer
So I have a 2008 tacoma that will be running a canopy with my roof tent on top. Looking into water solutions for longer trips. I had the front runner footwell tank but all it does it leak all over the floor of my truck.

My plan is to install maybe a 15 gallon fresh water tank with a filter system and a water heater giving me the ability to have hot or cold filtered water on demand in the bed of the truck.

Does anyone have any advice on filters or systems? Or possible any examples of bed mounted systems? I’ve seen some reverse osmosis setups for rvs online but unsure if that’s the best way to go.

This truck is a camping/overland rig only so not looking for something removable. I haven’t mounted the canopy or built the tent rack yet so I have a blank slate at this point.

I would probably be fine with even just cold filtered water. A co worker gave me an ecotemp L5 propane powered hot water setup I could use if it’s a lot easier.

My truck is a double cab long box if that helps.

nucktaco

Adventurer
Use what you have UNLESS. Unless you want to spend money on more things to complicate and simplify your system allot the same time.

We use a Plate heat exchanger, pex tubing, quick disconnects, 20gal tank mounted where the spare was, on demand pump, high pressure stainless quick disconnects, An RO filtered system and UV light/filter/sanitizer among other things. ---Yes, in a tacoma.

For you, decide where you want to put things. What space you can sacrifice. We chose the spare tire area for a couple reasons. It wouldn't fit a 35"/37" tire, plus having weight/ liquids as close to the ground helps with keeping a lower center of gravity.

Having that L5 looks like it's a nice shortcut for the hot water part. Do you already bring propane? We have an On Board Propane tank like they have on RV's in the same place we have our water tank. And Air tank for that matter.
Thanks for that! I just found your build thread and that gives me quite a bit to consider. I have been carrying around a 20lb propane tank in the bed of my truck but have always had an open bed. Now switching to a canopy not sure I want my propane setup to be enclosed and quite like your under mount setup. Lots of ideas going now.

llamalander

There are fairly durable water bags available if you don't want to commit to a particular tank size or location. Use whatever filter you can fit on a hose to fill.
RO tends to use much more water than you get to keep, so filter before the tank is filled, not after.

Ex Animo

Use what you have UNLESS. Unless you want to spend money on more things to complicate and simplify your system allot the same time.

We use a Plate heat exchanger, pex tubing, quick disconnects, 20gal tank mounted where the spare was, on demand pump, high pressure stainless quick disconnects, An RO filtered system and UV light/filter/sanitizer among other things. ---Yes, in a tacoma.

What do you do to keep the water from freezing? I was thinking of mounting my water tank in the same place but I winter camp at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles