Truck acquired. Let the shenanigans begin.

Alwyn Wallace

Really nice! It look remarkably similar to our Leyland DAF in the UK. If they are the same, I spent a lot of time travelling in those things and they are very capable off road.

themeec

Really nice! It look remarkably similar to our Leyland DAF in the UK. If they are the same, I spent a lot of time travelling in those things and they are very capable off road.

Yeah, I can definitely see the appeal in using these as an RV platform. The big tires also allow it to glide over the washboard-riddled backroads here in ID, that would normally rattle your teeth loose. Took it out in the desert to stretch it's legs, and see how it did in some basic ravines/mudholes, etc ... pretty drama-free experience so far (crappy smartphone pics attached).

Attachments

• IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 96

themeec

So I've been puzzling over what to do with the back of the truck lately. While my ultimate goal in the distant future, is still to get a pre-fab box (or pieces of one, ala Total Composites) and finish it myself, I've been batting around the idea of mating a donor trailer to the bed in the meantime.

Was wondering if anyone had any general tips in this regard, as I was considering the following:
1. The 4x4 isn't super long. I only have 12' 9" directly on the rails, and I'd prefer to avoid an excessive overhang if possible.
2. Your average camp trailer is built like crap most of the time. I'm sure there's brands out there that hold up better than others ... just not sure which at the moment.

I was thinking something like a Hi-Lo Towlite would be good (they're nice and boxy), but I've been having difficulty finding smaller ones. Basically open to any alternatives/suggestions.

(Couple more recent pics attached in the meantime)

Attachments

• IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 66

java

Expedition Leader
Hi-Lo is good for pop top. Yabanga on here has one.

The Fiberglass "egg" style are a bit better built usually

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

themeec

The Fiberglass "egg" style are a bit better built usually

Yeah, I see these quite frequently, and they look awesome as a general rule. Only issue is with the elliptical shape, you lose an awful lot of potential space on the back. Would be nice if I could get a more stand-up room, since I have the opportunity.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
They are less common now that 20' containers are being the base for a lot of things.
I would check on Steel Soldiers, even ask in the "wanted" section as people may have ones that aren't being listed.
I found mine in a yard full of mil surplus and a friend found a few on Craigslist/ebay a few years back. For all I know she may want to sell hers, I could check for you.

Oski

Hello ... I don't get over here (Exped. Portal) enough ... so I hadn't seen your thread. Congratulations on joining our little LMTV club. I have been working on my build for a while ... but got serious about a year ago. (If you are interested I put together a video comprised of a series of pictures of the build on YouTube ...
I can't say enough about how much I learned spending hours reading through threads on this site as well as Steel Soldiers. Also there are great LMTV videos on YouTube (ie: "Fastidious Restomods", etc.)

These are great machines if you put the time and energy into learning to maintain them ( I am sure you are aware .... all of the M1078 Tech Manuals are available for download at Steel Soldiers)

If you venture north, I am just outside of Moscow. Always fun to checkout other folks machines ....

themeec

These are great machines if you put the time and energy into learning to maintain them ( I am sure you are aware .... all of the M1078 Tech Manuals are available for download at Steel Soldiers)
Yeah, the fine people at SteelSoldiers have been there through my search, and during the resurrection process over this last year+. The TM sources alone are worth their weight in gold. I love this truck so far. Everything is so ridiculously simple to service, diagnose, and understand.

I envy the shop space at your disposal! Incredible build as well, that's some exceptional work you've done there.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It’s not that hard to find 10’ Alaskan non-cabovers for sale at afford prices. It’d give you a lower roof height, maybe help with mpg’s too. You could use your extra, leftover frame length maybe then for installation of a big gear/spare tire box/garage? Just a thought.

themeec

Been doing a fair amount of trailer-hunting (especially working from home this last week), and was just thinking to myself how of all the things one could pick on for your average travel-trailer, is the heinous decals and general white-box blasé that plagues most of them.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with painting a standard camp trailer. In my uneducated brain it sounds like a cheap fix. I've painted a couple of boats in my time, but the fiberglass on those was made of pretty stern stuff, comparatively. Any tips/considerations while I'm still hunting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles