Trout Creek Run, Northwest Arizona

mkitchen

Explorer
We did the following run on April 16th of this year. Three vehicles went along on this 50 mile, all day run. Jay, driving his Jeep Rubi, my son, Sam, in his 80 series LC and me with my Tacoma. We were also accompanied by various and assorted kids and dogs. The route took us south of I 40 and just east of highway 93, approximately 25 miles east of Kingman.

The ceremonial washing of the feet.

ImportedPhotos00002-1.jpg

After that first crossing, we travelled towards some rather large caves, but with little time to explore, we only made a quick stop to look around. This area merits a lot more time for exploring. I am intending to come back with our AT and spend some time camping and exploring this area.

DSC01590.jpg

ImportedPhotos00044.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01573.jpg

ImportedPhotos00031.jpg
ImportedPhotos00031.jpg

ImportedPhotos00040.jpg

About half way in to Trout Creek, we stopped at this cabin that is always well stocked and open to all comers. All that is asked is that you take only what you need and leave the cabin in good shape. A lot of folks leave something there for the next fellow that may be in need as well. It also has a small creek that runs all year, a very rare thing in this dry region.

DSC01586.jpg

ImportedPhotos00039.jpg

ImportedPhotos00025.jpg

We finally make it to the creek and just in time for lunch and free time in the water for the kids.

DSC01595.jpg

ImportedPhotos00055.jpg

ImportedPhotos00069.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

ImportedPhotos00079.jpg

Lunch and swim (or wade) being over, we head out and follow a different route than the one we came in on. A bit of a steep climb out of Trout Creek but with the surface so solid, we could have come out in two wheel drive, I think.

ImportedPhotos00053.jpg

We again crossed another creek, I believe that it was Turtle Creek but I am not sure. More very scenic spots to camp if time allowed, with huge juniper trees for shade and the creek running along side. That trailer in the one photo was very much out in the middle of nowhere and had been abandoned for some time. It is amazing how often we run across someones old site that has been lived in for some time and then it seems the elements run them out.

DSC01600.jpg

ImportedPhotos00050.jpg

ImportedPhotos00041.jpg

From there, it was an easy drive (actually, it was all a very casual run) on out to I 40. Air up and back home in twenty minutes. Boy howdy, don't we have a nice back yard, eh?

DSC01603.jpg

Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks Quinn

Got most of the pictures in and not too mixed up. The trip was a nice one and on a day with perfect weather. Hope to get back there before it gets too hot. But if not, it will be a great fall trip. As I stated earlier, it is less than 30 minutes from my home in Kingman.
Mikey

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Awesome! I am planing a trip to Laughlin in a few months and will have to side track a bit to check this out. Thanks for sharing

rambrush

Adventurer
I think someone needs to call me next time and I/we can load up the kids (dogs) and go explore also.

Been way back in on upper trout creek road but can not say I have seen this area yet..

Last edited:

Number 7

Adventurer
Nice report Mikey! We're going to be near that area weekend after next. From the looks of this post it will be fun. d :sombrero:

mkitchen

Explorer
Oops, sorry.

I think someone needs to call me next time and I/we can load up the kids (dogs) and go explore also.

Been way back in on upper trout creek road but can not say I have seen this area yet..

I would have liked to have you along. I will make a note on the next run, which I believe will be on May 21. It also looks like I might be doing the pre-run for the GC tour on May 7. I am just going to go up for the day more than likely and we will drive to the Canyon and then do the trail to Bass and back out that same day. It will be a long day but you are welcome to join us if you would like.

On your note about going in on Trout Creek (upper or lower), you can't get to Trout Creek from either of those roads. You can get on top of the canyon rim and look down on the creek but you can't get there from there. Makes sense eh? This was even so before the Trout Creek roads were cut off due to private property. A fellow would think that if you drove out on Trout Creek road, you would get to Trout Creek but this does not seem to be the case. You need to go in via I 40 and south. I can give you the route map that we did on google if you want.
Mikey

Last edited:

Lichen

Explorer
Too bad. I'm going with Number 7's group and was hoping that we would actually be able to access the creek. It looks so refreshing.

Rkershner

Hello, this looks like an awesome run! Would you be willing to give me more information on it? Looking for good places to explore in Az.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke