Trooper "Torque on Demand"?

Webb

No. They have a nice AR5 tranny and a standard part-time transfer case.

Hello. i was reading through and i wanted to ask. i got a isuzu trooper 2001 with TOD on a automatic. now my question is. when i bought the car the converted it to a manual gear. what i dont know is if the transfer is still the same. can the automatic transfer work on a manual. and if so does the TOD still work?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Hello. i was reading through and i wanted to ask. i got a isuzu trooper 2001 with TOD on a automatic. now my question is. when i bought the car the converted it to a manual gear. what i dont know is if the transfer is still the same. can the automatic transfer work on a manual. and if so does the TOD still work?

I doubt "they" would keep the TOD transfer case for a manual transmission, but really don't know. None of the Isuzus came from the factory with manual transmissions and a TOD transfer case. If they sourced an AR5 for the swap I would think they would just keep the standard transfer case with it, but anything is possible.

Do your TOD lights on the dash work like they should when you are driving around?

thepotz

The T O D transfer case itself is fine but the 2 sensors that make it work fail ALL THE TIME and are extremely expensive to replace if you can find them. It is best to bypass the TOD if a sensor fails. There is a write up on this on planet isuzu, but by no means is the stock system 'reliable' in this respect.

CostaRicaRay

hi guys, can see this is an old thread but wanted to chime in. I have a 2001 Trooper, has 5 speed and TOD, with the pushbutton on the dash, engage while moving, etc.

and no indication of a swap. are you sure there was no factory TOD 5 speed?

GingerBeardMan78

hi guys, can see this is an old thread but wanted to chime in. I have a 2001 Trooper, has 5 speed and TOD, with the pushbutton on the dash, engage while moving, etc.

and no indication of a swap. are you sure there was no factory TOD 5 speed?

CR Ray, I researched a lot when I was thinking of doing a auto/man swap. Everything that I found said TOD was auto only. I opted to just sell the 2000 auto and spend a bit more on a 99 manual with less miles. Happy I did.

What I understood though is that the TOD was non operational (wouldn't light up) when the swap was done. Does yours light up?

Chris...

Thestronk

Just picked up an 01 Trooper w/TOD. 160k and damn near everything works. Needed trans rebuild but for $2700 I expected as much. Wish you could by a new vehicle this size with this much room and capabilities for moderate off roading.

(none)

Adventurer
They are great trucks that are overlooked. I had one for a bit, ran well, i liked it. Terrible fuel mileage and burned oil regularly, but cheap to buy and run. I'd own another with a manual trans.

uzj100

Adventurer
I have a friend with a 1998 Trooper manual. According to the above i does not have TOD. He does have an issue. The button on the dash only works to engage and disengage the 4wd high when the vehicle is cold. I have searched high and low and can not find an answer. It sounds like an actuator is getting hot and will stop working. Has anyone had this issue? How do you correct? Also, is this system vacuum operated and could a line be leaking? Thank you.

SRN

Adventurer
I have a friend with a 1998 Trooper manual. According to the above i does not have TOD. He does have an issue. The button on the dash only works to engage and disengage the 4wd high when the vehicle is cold. I have searched high and low and can not find an answer. It sounds like an actuator is getting hot and will stop working. Has anyone had this issue? How do you correct? Also, is this system vacuum operated and could a line be leaking? Thank you.
The only answer I have for you is that no, it is not vacuum operated.
Check out Planet Isuzoo. There are quite a few threads over there discussing TOD issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior