Triton Engines vs earlier models

D

Deleted member 9101

Therein lies the problem. Given a diagnosis i could with the help of a guide or book likely do most repairs but don't and may never have the skills to diagnose or solve on my own.

OBD does not diagnose anything... It's just another tool. In an older OBD 2 system the info you get will be pretty limited. In all honesty a good multi-meter and some basic gauges in the dash is all you need. Older motors are pretty simple, especailly when you remove all the emissions crap and run a modern intake, ignition, and carb/Fuel injection. There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong and when it does diagnosing it is straight forward.

jkam

nomadic man
I like having the ability to monitor systems in my 96 that didn't come from the factory.
The sensors were there but they cheaped out on the gauge to tell you the info.
With the Scan Gauge, I get trans temp and RPM's, both nice to have in my older rig.
Also, when I had an engine code trip, it told me what it was and I was able to reset the code and fix the issue without going to a shop.

Photobug

I am getting frustrated with the search. The right ones are crazy expensive now or gone is hours. One of the ones i have been eyeing is a Great West Van. I check often daily , saw one pop up at 4 am last morning. The add was 21 hours old and the van was under contract. The only vans lasting more than a day online are marked 30% plus over last years retail pricing.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I am getting frustrated with the search. The right ones are crazy expensive now or gone is hours. One of the ones i have been eyeing is a Great West Van. I check often daily , saw one pop up at 4 am last morning. The add was 21 hours old and the van was under contract. The only vans lasting more than a day online are marked 30% plus over last years retail pricing.

yep

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Great thing about Fords: cupholders, door panels, seats, fenders, doors... they're all easily swappable from 92 on up

OBD2 is fine to have but not a big deal.

I prefer the simplicity and durability of the pushrod motors. They're more forgiving.

OverlandNA

OBD is simple and no special tools but a piece of wire (I used to use a cotter pin) to jump 2 terminals and count the flashing check engine light.
This guy explains/demonstrates it well enough

Photobug

OBD is simple and no special tools but a piece of wire (I used to use a cotter pin) to jump 2 terminals and count the flashing check engine light.
This guy explains/demonstrates it well enough

I seem to remember something like this. My first vehicle was in 85, I have since owned older vehicles, a 76 Westfalia. I recall a situation where I had to turn the key on and off 3 times in a row to get a flashing light, then go onto a forum to find out what it means and how to fix my vehicle. I am thinking it was my 95 Integra.

I am thinking ODB2 (did not realize till this thread there was an ODB-1) became needed when vehicles became more complex.

My search is now all over the place. A van or small RV would really solve some personal issues but not all. My wife can't drive my truck. A van with auto will allow us both to drive and take naps, cook and the 3-s's. I am now obsessed with adding something to my driveway. Tonight's search is for Tigers and Provan, those look sweet.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.

Yeah the market was already warm, then #vanlife made it hot, then #vanlife met covid and it lost its mind.

Everybody wants to get the hell out of Dodge these days. Many people who were lucky enough to keep their jobs can/have to work remotely. Not to mention the many others who lost their jobs and now need a cheaper place to live. In a van down by the river doesn't sound so bad right about now.

Unless you have a deadline, patience will be your friend. I pulled the trigger too soon twice. Now I have two way bigger than I want projects sitting in my driveway. Worse, I've missed really good vans since because my funds were tapped from the projects.

Keep active on the forums. Sometimes members post their vans here and on the SMB forum before CL, eBay, etc. And of course set up alarms on other sites so you get notified immediately when good candidates pop up.

And while patience is your friend, when good ones do pop up, be ready to jump immediately. As you've seen, they usually don’t last a day.

Good luck with your search.

Photobug

And while patience is your friend, when good ones do pop up, be ready to jump immediately. As you've seen, they usually don’t last a day.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your wise advice. I know about projects. I am trying to finish my home I started 20 years ago, plus 3 sailboats I got a good deal on. My wife wants our next adventure to not be a project.

I am now leaning towards a class B or Sportmobile or Tiger/Provan. What I really want is an overhead sleeping compartment to fit the whole family(2 dogs). The Coachmen and B190 stand outs as far as layouts. Then maybe add 4x4 later.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Do it the easy way!

BUY A VAN DONE!

Find a van that "Meats" your needs. Pay way more money for that van than you, your wife, your girlfriend or your best friends think it is worth. If they think you are nuts for paying that much YOU DID GOOD! Then 6 months later you will right back here telling us what a "Killer Deal" you made when you bought your van.

Funny how that works huh?

Just remember the cheapest part of any "Project Van" is buying the van. It ALWAYS takes twice as much money and 4 times more time to finish that project van that you ever DREAMED when you originally bought that POS project van!

Photobug

BUY A VAN DONE!

Find a van that "Meats" your needs. Pay way more money for that van than you, your wife, your girlfriend or your best friends think it is worth. If they think you are nuts for paying that much YOU DID GOOD! Then 6 months later you will right back here telling us what a "Killer Deal" you made when you bought your van.

The van I want is around $30k for a 1999 with a cool layout and he knows it. His ask is high even with Pandemic pricing. He may get it but hopefully not from me.

Photobug

So I am in luck this same van is back on the market. Unfortunately it has gone up $5,400. I also realized how hard it would be to 4wd a Dodge so sticking with a Ford chasis if I can find one.

b. rock

You say your wife can't drive your truck, but an EB ford or chevy is going to be just as big as most trucks. There are some provan tigers in the 15-20k range (at least near Denver) that while overpriced with the pandemic, are basically turn key. The 4.3 V6 is just a 350 with 2 cyls lopped off. They're not overly efficient or fast but they'll get it done and the Astrovan platform is much smaller. Plus I think you can do an awd conversion just by finding factory parts.

Photobug

You say your wife can't drive your truck, but an EB ford or chevy is going to be just as big as most trucks. There are some provan tigers in the 15-20k range (at least near Denver) that while overpriced with the pandemic, are basically turn key. The 4.3 V6 is just a 350 with 2 cyls lopped off. They're not overly efficient or fast but they'll get it done and the Astrovan platform is much smaller. Plus I think you can do an awd conversion just by finding factory parts.

The reason why my wife can't drive my truck is that it is a manual transmission, it is also a diesel. I think she could be easily taught to drive my truck but she is risk adverse, and the clutch and transmission parts are too expensive. About a decade ago when we were first married we had a 19 Travel Trailer we road tripped with pulled by a Ford Explorer, she had no trouble driving it.

We are leaning towards a 22 foot class C so we can fit the whole family (animals).

Ok so from what I’ve read here, I should have no issues looking for about a 2004-2007 Econoline with the 5.4? I think I heard expeditions and f-150s around those years had issues with spark plugs too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles