Triton Engines vs earlier models

Photobug

I now have the Van Bug and am now looking at all my options. I like a lot of the features of the vans from the 90s to the early 2000s. On a previous post I was steered away from a vintage van. I was told in the Ford Econoline 97 was the year Triton engines were introduced and 96 was the addition of OBD2. Are these worthwhile additions, should i be concentrating my search on post 96 models?

D

Deleted member 9101

OBD2 doesn't make a difference in anything. Just makes it easier to diagnose some problems.

jkam

nomadic man
I have an E350 based RV from 1996. It is the last year of the 7.5 or 460 V-8.
It has OBD and I use a Scan Gauge to monitor a few things the factory didn't offer at the time.
Most important to me is transmission temp as it seems to run a bit warm.
Mine has 140,000 miles and has plenty of power to move my 24' RV down the road or in the mountains.
8 mpg average overall.

First couple of years of the V-10 had spark plug issues, think it was fixed by 2000 or 2001.

UjointoffroadCO

The sweet spot for me is 2000-2005. 4x4 conversion is cheaper if you go that route, all reasons listed above also. The old pushrod engines get the job done, but they leak like crazy, difficult to work on, poor fuel economy etc. Not like the 5.4 or 6.8 are great on fuel, but slightly better.

Photobug

The sweet spot for me is 2000-2005. 4x4 conversion is cheaper if you go that route, all reasons listed above also. The old pushrod engines get the job done, but they leak like crazy, difficult to work on, poor fuel economy etc. Not like the 5.4 or 6.8 are great on fuel, but slightly better.

Thanks for that. I definitely consider a 4x4 conversion down the line or maybe just buy a Sportmobile already equipped. Just looked at one today only 2wd. My wife liked what she saw but thinks if we go that route we need 4WD.

@Baker Garage Can you give me some links on converting this generation? Why is it cheaper than post 2005? One van I am liking is a 1998, how would that be to convert to 4x4?

86scotty

Cynic
If you are competent you don't need it...lol.

I know you're halfway joking and I halfway agree. Ability to run a Scanguage or the like through an OBD2 port is not just good for diagnosis but can ward off needing diagnosis since it gives you so much live info. Trans temp is easy to get with an X-guage code on them, all other temps and info to me are priceless, even more so the older the vehicle is.

@Photobug, the Triton spark plug issue is real but it's mostly overblown, no pun intended. By now, pretty much any Triton motor you buy will have presented the problem if it was going to, and not a lot of them did statistically. By now anything that old will have had the plugs replaced with the revised style or had the major maintenance done to fix the problem. I definitely recommend doing your due diligence (records, PPI) but it would not keep me from shopping for an early V10. A lot of great affordable small RV's like Chinook and Airstream, for instance, had them.

On, on the pre 96 E-series, I have one other one that not a lot of people ever mention. I've had two of these vans (one MH, one SMB), both with the 460. Both liked to overheat. Both got awful mileage. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the seatbelt. The older design in the pre-96 hangs way back from the front seats high up on the wall. The 97 up is an adjustable shoulder belt on the B pillar. The older ones choke me and my wife. I can't stand em. I've rigged up many bungee cords and other assorted crap to keep them working properly and not bugging us all the time. The thing that worked best was a newer van. YMMV.....

D

Deleted member 9101

I know you're halfway joking and I halfway agree. Ability to run a Scanguage or the like through an OBD2 port is not just good for diagnosis but can ward off needing diagnosis since it gives you so much live info. Trans temp is easy to get with an X-guage code on them, all other temps and info to me are priceless, even more so the older the vehicle is.

I totally get it, I run an nGauge and use the app Torque pro in my truck. While they are nice to have, they are far from a necessity, especially on something as simple as a pre-OBD2 vehicle. It's pretty simple to add conventional gauges to an older vehicle to monitor what little there is to monitor...lol. Screenshot_2020-11-23-17-11-21~2.png

UjointoffroadCO

Thanks for that. I definitely consider a 4x4 conversion down the line or maybe just buy a Sportmobile already equipped. Just looked at one today only 2wd. My wife liked what she saw but thinks if we go that route we need 4WD.

@Baker Garage Can you give me some links on converting this generation? Why is it cheaper than post 2005? One van I am liking is a 1998, how would that be to convert to 4x4?
Its cheaper due to the roll stability control, at least if you are doing a Ujoint offroad conversion. They have a proprietary blend of herbs and spices to keep the the RSC system working properly on the post 2005 vans which means you have to buy a completely built axle from them. On pre 2005 vans without RSC you can just use factory unit bearings with the van connector spliced on and the abs works like normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online