Triple Aught Design?

VATACO

Adventurer
My new ranger jacket is perfect for me. Sold all my TAD Hoodies and slowly replacing them with the jackets.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Id recommend 5:11 tactical's ripstop TDU line of pants and shirts. I will put mine up against ExOfficio or TAD any day. ...

Can't speak to the clothing made by 5.11, but I have been very pleased with their RUSH24 and RUSH72 backpacks. It's my "go to" pack 95% of the time. The RUSH24 makes an excellent day pack for a hike or a hunt. I can get a 5 days worth of clothes in the 72. I've been using the 72 for about a year and a half. The 24 got added last hunting season. They also have integrated camel back pouch.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

loup407

Adventurer
Just because a product is made in the US, or (especially) California, don't assume it's "made by countrymen". I spent a couple of decades making high performance athletic apparel, in countries all over the world, including the US. Assuming product made in the US is "better-made" is a mistake. Assuming its made by citizens is a mistake. And assuming the factory is American-owned is a mistake.
I want to like TAD stuff, but has no patience or time to wait from tiny windows of availability. Either they are resource challenged or are manipulating availability to keep prices high. The few things I have from TAD are great. There are enough options, with less drama.

Sempertoy

Explorer
So I feel like I'm getting sucked in to the hype. I have been looking for a nice molle EDC and the litespeed looks killer. It's expensive but if it lasts 5 years then its cheaper than buying a pack a year.

If anyone has a pack in coyote they would like to get rid of, let me know. Otherwise I might be tempted to buy the Chinese knockoff ;)

EDIT: Just read that they give military discounts. I think I'm in.

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Ever since I decided that I wanted a litespeed pack, I have obsessivly checked the website daily, signed up for their mailing list, followed them on twitter as well as instagram. One day two weeks ago there was a black pack available on line for about ten minutes. By the time I decided to buy it instead of tan it was gone.

Ill open this up to pics of litespeed packs to keep me motivated with my search for one.

J

JWP58

Woolrich or Carhart, from Sierra Trading post. Carhart t-shirt for $3 bucks? Yes please. Woolrich jacket, regular price $112 for $25....ya I'll take that too.

I'll pass on the TAD and arcteryx.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Woolrich or Carhart, from Sierra Trading post. Carhart t-shirt for $3 bucks? Yes please. Woolrich jacket, regular price $112 for $25....ya I'll take that too.

I'll pass on the TAD and arcteryx.

I'm too good for Carhart... its why I wear MK :)

Sempertoy

Explorer
Just ordered the Covert RS pants. I looked at them for a long time in my cart and finally just clicked purchase before I could talk myself out of it. Its really hardt to justify spending $100+ on one pair of pants. Hopeully they are the last pair I will need.

JJSteeley

Just ordered the Covert RS pants. I looked at them for a long time in my cart and finally just clicked purchase before I could talk myself out of it. Its really hardt to justify spending $100+ on one pair of pants. Hopeully they are the last pair I will need.

Nice. They most definitely will. Be sure to share what you think. The Overland Shirts are also back.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I'll be sure to post up my thoughts. I saw that the shirts are back, just got your newsletter. I can only justify one article of clothing at a time lol.

That being said I have been trying to get a pack for a few months. I went from looking specifically for a coyote litespeed to a black or coyote litespeed. Now i am looking for any pack litespeed or ECD that isnt foliage. Any insider info on release would be much appreciated!

RangeBrover

Explorer
Just got my new TAD Stealth Hoodie LT, it's definitely bomb proof like the rest of their gear. Although I wouldn't buy one of their $70 merino t-shirt, that's where I draw the line. I also own their amphibious cargo shoes and pants and have nothing but good things to say about them. TAD makes quality gear, and gear is one thing I don't cheap out on.

Last edited:

Ramjet

Explorer
I know how you feel. I just got the Overland Shirt in Tan. It's the last thing on my list of things to get. I'm pretty much done for now unless they come out with something new. :)

DaveM

Explorer
Have to add my 2 cents here. I bought my Marathon Navigator watch from TAD Gear years ago, before OJ was around and TAD was still in Oakland. I also have the OJ TAD Overland shirt and love it. It's very well made and worth what they charge for it.

I'm torn on their other products. From their reputation and the examples I have or have seen I know they do excellent, high quality work. I also generally share the concept of paying more for quality products that last. But I'm dubious about the prices on some of their products.

I happen to be in need of a new soft shell or fleece and have long had my eye on the TAD jackets. Some of the prices seem to be in line with what I would expect for a high quality jacket... some seem to be a little out of scale with the rest of their line. As others have mentioned paying extra for quality is often worth it but I worry that some companies overcharge for quality as their brand recognition rises. I've also seen companies that have original products that continue to be high quality but fill in their catalog with lower quality products from other suppliers while charging a "brand" price based on the perception of quality fostered by their original line.

What bothers me more than charging high prices for high quality stuff is purposefully limiting production or access to your products. It sounds crazy to think that a company would actually do that, and TAD probably doesn't, but it sure feels that way when every time you visit their website (and I mean over a period of years), the products you're interested in never seem to be in stock.

Not sure where that leaves me... I guess wanting a TAD jacket, knowing it's probably very well made but a little gun shy because it feels like they are taking advantage of limited runs and a sense of exclusivity to inflate prices beyond what the better quality alone warrants (compared to products that will probably nearly as long with a little less attention to detail and much lower price).

I'll be stopping by the SF shop this weekend to see the Ranger Jacket in person and decide if I think an REI soft shell at half the cost will suffice or not. Even if I do prefer the TAD jacket, I've never seen the large in stock so their limited supply may be the real deciding factor!

summerprophet

Adventurer
There is a strange similarity between TAD and Arcteryx, both in naming conventions as well as styling. I am not sure is it is a cooperative, or if someone is ripping off ideas.
Also Arcteryx was primarily made in Canada, but new stuff is made in China..... similar issues?

I can justify spending $400 or more on a Jacket. I regularly put myself in situations where clothing is the difference between life and death. Not every bodies game, and to each their own.
For me, the high price tag is associated with quality, reliability, well thought out design, and warrantee.

Triple Aught designs warrantee really isn't great. Arcteryx is lifetime. Mountain Hardware is lifetime. Patagonia is lifetime. O.R. (my favorite) is lifetime with no questions asked!

TAD is three years. Personally, I am not spending that amount of cash for a product with that short of an expected lifespan. You are paying for fashion not function at that point.

Ramjet

Explorer
You could always have a go at Aether Apparel. They have quality stuff, about the same price as TAD, and have a lifetime guarantee.

There are certain things that I won't buy from each of the manufacturers mentioned above and even those left off the list. Everyone has their own ideology of what they can afford and what they just want to buy at any cost. I'm will to support them all in my own way as it fits my lifestyle and pocket book. TAD isn't for everyone as well as Patagonia, OR, Nau, or any other brand out there making products for the general public.

If the warranty is what is holding you back from making a huge purchase, trust me, there isn't a manufacturer out there that wants bad press when it comes to their products. If you're willing to make a phone call or send an email, you are more than likely to have any repair or replacement taken care of from said manufacturer. Trust me. I work for one of the best companies and we have a 1 year warranty on our products and yet I've replaced items over 5 years old that were obviously just worn out. Not to say that is always the case, but I have sent stuff back to other places and they have either replaced it with new, repaired it at no charge, or gave me a credit for another item because it was no longer being made. You just have to do some leg work. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles