Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry Part 1

All of the pre-trip planning, length of trip, route, daily travel goals, what to bring, start times, etc. are located at:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...hru-the-wa-or-cascade-mtn-backcountry.216058/.

One thing that we did not expect but was true everywhere we went in Washington and Oregon was the number of people camping. They were everywhere. We think they are escaping the boredom of the COVID-19 situation. We could tell when we were approaching a paved road. The number of campers on the sides of the roads started to increase.

Because we arrived at our camp area in the mid afternoon we were always able to find suitable empty camp sites. Had we planned longer drive days we would have had difficulty finding camp sites many of our sites.

Our group of participants in this trip included 5 people and 4 vehicles. Ace driving his Toyota Forerunner, George and Marie driving their Jeep JK towing a trailer, Richard driving his Nissan Xterra, and me, Vince, driving my Jeep TJ.

On the drive from Colorado to Wenatchee, WA, Ace became ill and had to drop out of the trip and return home.

The remaining 4 of us met on Tuesday, July 14, at the Red Lion Motel in Wenatchee. Our rooms were very close together so we had our first pre-trip meeting in the hall of the Red Lion Motel. We decided that because of the COVID-19 situation we would not have the normal pre-trip meal together that night. We planned to leave the next morning at 9:00am.

DAY 1 - BDR Day. Wed, 7/15/2020

Richard, the early morning riser of the group, was out walking the parking lot at 7:00am and the rest of us followed about 8:00am. Once packed, topped gas tanks, and ice in the coolers we headed up out of Wenatchee on the WABDR route from Wenatchee to Ellensburg. This was the only BDR route that we followed the entire trip. There was one section where the road had slid. We spotted George through this area. It was the worst area we encountered the entire trip.

View of the Columbia River Valley, Wenatchee, and Cascade Mtns.
Columbia River Valley and Wenatchee.jpg

BDR Route going down into the Ellensburg Valley. Mt Rainier in the background.
BDR Route going down into Ellensburg.JPG

We topped off gas at Ellensburg and started up Manastash Creek and climbed up the ridge to find a place to camp our first night. The wind kept us from camping in the view areas. We camped down in the trees instead.

Day 1 camp spot out of he wind.
Day 1 camp site.JPG

DAY 2 - Chinook Pass and Crystal Mtn. day. Thurs. 7/16

That first night was windy but not too cold. We departed about 8:30am to start the day’s adventures. George dropped his trailer at the Bald Mountain “Y” and we started up the rocky road to the top of the ridge where the old fire lookout tower used to be located. We enjoyed the views to the West dominated by Mt Rainier and then views to the East of Mt Stuart and the Ellensburg Valley.

George, Marie, Richard, and Vince with Mt. Rainier in the background.
Group picture with Mt Rainier.jpg

With the trailer reconnected we continued down the Rock Creek road to Hwy 410. We stopped at Whistlin’ Jacks to top off gas and have ice cream cones. We continued up Hwy 410 up and over Chinook Pass.

Chinook Pass
Chinook Pass.jpg

We continued down over Cayuse Pass to the Crystal Mountain Ski Area. There we rode the gondola lift up to the Summit House. We had a nice lunch and enjoyed the views of Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt Hood, and all of the ski lifts. It was a beautiful day with very little wind at the Summit House.

Crystal Mountain Ski Area Gondola
George and Marie in Gondola at Crystal Mtn.JPG

Mt. Rainier from the Crystal Mountain Summit House
Mt Rainier from top of Ski Area.jpg

After leaving Crystal Mountain Ski Area we continued down Hwy 410 to the Ranger Creek Airfield. We camped in a free old campground located in the trees along the side of the landing strip. It was a nice night with just a few mosquitoes and no wind.

Day 2 camp
2nd Day Camp.JPG

DAY 3 - Mt Rainier Day. Friday 7/17

We were scheduled to drive high up on two sides of the mountain; the East side on Sunrise Ridge and the South side at Paradise. The day started with us driving back up Hwy 410 into Mt Rainier National Park and taking the turn off to Sunrise Ridge. The mountain was shrouded with clouds early but they started to part as we approached the lodge on Sunrise Ridge. We were disappointed to find that the Park Service had closed both the lodges at Sunrise and Paradise because of COVID-19. We were not able to see all the information and pictures of Mt Rainier. The clouds parted enough while we were at Sunrise to see the mountain. We were disappointed that we could not see any groups climbing the mountain that day. Clouds covered the mountain the entire time we were on the Paradise side of the mountain.

Sunrise Lodge.
Sunrise Lodge.jpg

Paradise Ranger Station and Lodge. Mt Rainier in the background is covered by clouds.
Paradise Ranger Station and Lodge.JPG

We stopped at Longmire on our way out the Park for lunch and the obligatory walk thru the gift shop.

After leaving Mt Rainier National Park we decided to stay on a paved road and go off-route to Packwood, WA. We topped off the gas tanks, Richard restocked his toilet paper and I bought ice. There was a nice herd of Elk grazing in a field about 100 yards off the highway right in town. We continued on to Randle and eventually arrived at Tower Campground for the night. This being a Friday night, we had reservations for the four vehicles so we had an extra site which was sold to a very happy couple that evening.

Because we can attach only 10 pictures to one post we have had to break this trip report into many parts. Please continue onto Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry Part 2.

Last edited:

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry Part 2

DAY 4 - Mt. St. Helen’s Day. Sat. 7/18

We were up and away just after 8:00am. We had to drive a ways to get back on-route. The drive wound along the Cispus River under a canopy of mossy cedar and hardwood trees. Much different than the dry sage brush open areas of Eastern Washington. We continued up the windy road to Windy Ridge. We stopped at the first viewing area, Bear Meadow. We were looking at the mountain when a short man in a green jacket approached us and asked if we had any questions about the mountain. Gary was the name on his name tag. I asked him what he could tell us about the mountain. He produced a 3 ring binder with some pictures in it. His full name is Gary Rosenquist and he was the person that took the series of 22 pictures of the eruption of Mt St. Helen’s. We were standing exactly where he was standing 40 years ago when the mountain blew. He proceeded to tell us all about his experiences that day. He explained that if they had been 1/3 of a mile closer to the mountain they would have been killed in the blast from the eruption. What a fabulous experience to be able to talk with one of the only two persons (his camping friend) to see the eruption and live to tell about it. WOW!!

George, Marie, Gary and Richard. Notice the 3 ring binder containing the pictures.
Gary showing the famous 22 Picts.JPG

We continued the drive to Windy Ridge stopping along the way at the various viewpoints.

The blast zone with trees lying down and Mt Rainier in the background.
The blast zone with Mt Rainier in background.JPG

Mt St. Helen's view from Windy Ridge and Richard. Spirit Lake is also shown.
Mt St Helens View from Windy Ridge (2).jpg

Mt. St. Helen's from the Smith Canyon Overlook. Richard is in the foreground.
Mt St Helens Smith Creek Overlook.jpg

After our great Mt. St. Helen’s and Windy Ridge experience we continued on route and had lunch at the resort area of Eagle Cliff. We then continued on driving thru the Gifford/Pinchot National Forest to a snow park at the Northern end of the Indian Heaven Wilderness Area. We put up with the worst mosquitos of the trip here. It kind of lived up to the nick name “mosquito heaven”.

Camp day 4.
Day 4 camp.JPG

DAY 5 - Huckleberry Fields, Columbia River, and Mt Hood. Sunday 7/19

We were on the road again a little after 8:00am again. We drove down the road that goes down the middle of the “World’s Largest Natural Huckleberry Fields”. A handshake agreement in 1932 gives the Native Indians the right to pick all the Huckleberries on the left side of the road and all non-Indians pick all the huckleberries on the right side of the road. This agreement still holds today.

We continued South crossing the Columbia River at the town of Hood River. We topped off gas and made stops at McDonalds and Walmart. Then continued the climb up to Mt. Hood, Government Camp, Timberline Lodge, and a place to camp for the night.

It was Sunday afternoon on one of the first nice weekends of the year without wind for Oregonians. They were out in droves with both Timberline Lodge and Government Camp areas a zoo - full of people. We were lucky to escape with our lives. But, we did find a very nice large camp site (1 of only 2 left) where we could camp together.

Drive to Mt. Hood
The drive to Mt Hood.JPG

DAY 6 - Timberline Lodge, Jeep Repairs. Monday 7/20

It was decided that we would take a second try at visiting Timberline Lodge. This time it worked. There were some people already there - skiers mostly. The lodge was not busy and we were able to tour the lodge, learn of its history and construction and have brunch in the main dining room.

Timberline Lodge.
Timberline Lodge.jpg

Main Lobby at Timberline Lodge.
Main Lobby at Timberline Lodge.jpg

Maiin dining Room. Notice the carving above the fireplace and the furniture was also hand carved in 1937.
Brunch at Timberline Lodge.jpg

Mt. Hood. The specs on the large snowfield are skiers. Lift serviced skiing all summer on Mt hood.
Mt Hood from Timberline Lodge.jpg

On the drive down the 6 mile long road to Government Camp I kept hearing a squeaking noise on left hand corners but not corners to the right. The group brain trust decided to go off-route to Gresham, OR to Gresham 4WD and Off Road to have it checked out. Good call because they found 2 worn front axle u joints and 2 bad front hubs. Repairs on the Jeep would be first thing next morning. Richard went home for the night to Beaverton and George, Marie and I went to a hotel.

Because we can attach only 10 pictures to one post we have had to break this trip report into many parts. Please continue onto Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry Part 3.

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip Report for the ROF Journey thru the WA/OR Cascade Mtn. Backcountry Part 3

DAY 7 - Jeep Repairs, Olallie Lake. Tuesday 7/21

The Jeep was at Gresham 4WD and Off Road at 9:00am when they opened. They started work on it immediately and were done by noon. We gathered up and the 4 of us were on the road to Olallie Lake as quickly as possible. Olallie Lake is a remote lake high in the Oregon Cascades. The roads into the lake are paved, then dirt, then 5 miles of rough dirt. We found 3 camp sites close together at the Peninsula CG and had a very nice night.

Olallie Lake and Mt. Jefferson in the background.
Olallie Lake and Mt Jefferson.jpg

Snack time and we did not even burn the popcorn.
We did not burn the popcorn.jpg

Day 7 camp.
Camp at Olallie Lake.jpg

DAY 8 - McKenzie Pass, 3 Sisters Mtns, Sisters OR. Wed. 7/22

We were on the rough dirt road at about 8:30am and headed for the highest Mtn. lake, Breitenbush Lake. We had to do a bit of 4wheel’n to get there and found there was only one person in the CG. We continued on and up to historic McKenzie Pass traveling West to East. At the top of the pass are the large old lava flows and the Dee Wright Observatory.

Marie, Lava Flows and the 3 Sisters Mountains
The Sisters Mtns and Lava Flows.jpg

Dee Wright Observatory and George.
Dee Observatory and George.jpg

We proceeded on to the town of Sisters for gas, ice, and lunch. Sisters used to be this small town near Black Butte Ranch and the Metolius River. It has exploded with a traffic circle, shopping center and traffic. Thanks to Richard we escaped Sisters traffic and headed to our next camp site at Three Creek Meadow CG. It was a nice CG. Lots of stars in a clear night. But, the elevation of 6341 ft. made the night cooler than past nights. You can’t beat having a young doe and buck graze their way through your campsite at dusk.

Deer in my campsite
Deer at my campsite.jpg

DAY 9 - 3 Sisters Mtns., Cascade Lakes Byway, Umpqua National Forest, Diamond Lake. Thursday, 7/23

On the road again about 8:30am. We had not traveled too far when our route took us to a locked gate. Richard saved the day with good knowledge of the area. The road he sent us on provided great views of the Bend area. It took a few jogs and turns but Richard eventually got us back on route. We drove the Cascade Lakes Byway up and around Mt Bachelor which provided great views of the South Sister.
We continued South via many dirt roads in the Umpqua National Forest. One 7 mile section required more low range 4 wheel’n.
We arrived at Diamond Lake and filled up with the most expensive gas of the trip at the Diamond Lake Lodge. We found 2 camp sites close to each other. Richard and I shared one site.
We celebrated our last night together with a campfire where we roasted hot dogs.

George and Marie Relaxing.
George, Marie and Duke relaxing.jpg

DAY 10 - Crater Lake. Friday, 7/24

Diamond Lake’s elevation is only 5300 ft but it was the coldest night of the trip. It was 38 degrees when Richard got up. Richard left early to return to Beaverton but George, Marie and I had a fried spam and pancake breakfast to celebrate our last morning.
On the road again about 9:30am because the drive to Crater Lake was pretty short. We drove the East loop road and stopped at most of the viewpoints. Crater lake is the deepest lake in North America and the deepest volcanic lake in the world. Crater Lake is very hard to describe so I will not even try. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Crater Lake and Wizard Island.
Crater Lake 1.jpg

Crater Lake from the East Loop.
Crater Lake 2.jpg

Crater Lake from the SE side.
Crater Lake 3.jpg

We did not encounter traffic until we approached the Lodge and visitors Center area. It was packed and there was a longline waiting to get into the restaurant/gift shop. We found a quiet place for lunch. Stopped at a restroom. Sadly said our goodbyes and headed to Klamath Falls for gas, air-up tires, and ice for the journey home.

Respectfully submitted:

Vince
George
Marie
Richard

Last edited:

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
We have more pictures. It is our intention for each of us to add posts filled with our own pictures.

As it was, I had to break the report into 3 parts. Each part holds 10 pictures. I tried to insert pictures that pertain to the text in that part of the report.

It was a great trip. The weather could not have been better. The plan was to cover 857 miles. We ended up with about 1025 miles. The added miles were because of our off-route trip to Gresham, OR and we made 2 trips up to Timberline Lodge.

We also encountered 1 locked gate and had to change our route. The new route was longer than the original. If you use this route please let me know and I will tell you about the locked gate episode. Otherwise, enjoy.

Vince

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Great report Vince. I so wish I could have hung in there one more day or rested and met y’all somewhere south of Wenatchee. Please everyone add your comments and pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip pictures from Vince's cutting room floor part 1:

Evening view down the Wenas Valley from Manastash Ridge
Evening view down the Wenas Valley.jpg

Looking West from Manastash Ridge
View West from the Manastash Ridge.jpg

Mt Rainier from the top of Bald Mountain
Mt Rainier from the top of Bald Mtn..jpg

Home sweet home
Home sweet home.jpg

Summit House at Crystal Mountain Ski Area
Summit House at the Crystal Mountain Ski Area.jpg

Mt Adams from the Summit House
Mt Adams from the Summit House.jpg

Mt Rainier from Sunrise Ridge
Mt. Rainier from Sunrise.jpg

Paradise Ranger Station and Lodges. NO, the building is not falling over - just trick photography
Paradise Ranger Station and Lodge area. Mountain is hidden by clouds..jpg

Paradise Lodges reopening summer 2021
Paradise Lodges. Reopening summer of 2021..jpg

Paradise with the clouds lifting a bit.
Paradise on Mt Rainier with the clouds lifting a bit..jpg

Part 1 of the cutting room is now full. Please continue on to part 2.

Last edited:

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip pictures from Vince's cutting room floor part 2:

Day 3 camp at Tower CG
Day 3 campsite at Tower CG.jpg

Gary explaining the eruption to George and Marie with Duke looking on.
Gary explaining the eruption of Mt St. Helens to George and Marie with Duke watching.jpg

Bare hillsides and logs still in the West end of Spirit Lake
Hillsides still bare and logs still floating in theWest end of Spirit Lake.jpg

The three travelers at Spirit Lake
The three travelers at Spirit Lake.jpg

Mt Hood from Smith Canyon Viewpoint
Mt hood from Smith Canyon Viewpoint.jpg

Mt Adams from Smith Canyon Viewpoint
Mt Adams from the Smith Canyon Viewpoint.jpg

George, Marie and Mt St Helens
George, Marie and Mt St Helens.jpg

Mt Hood from Hood River
Mt hood from Hood River.jpg

Mt Hood from the North side
Mt Hood's North Side.jpg

Mt Hood from the South Side
Mt hood's South Side.jpg

Part 2 of the cutting room is now full. Please continue on to part 3

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Trip pictures from Vince's cutting room floor part 3:

Mt Hood South side at Trillium Lake. This picture was taken with the sun setting on the mountain a couple of days before the start of the trip. I was scouting the area.
Mt Hood from the South.jpg

I will add more pictures as I find them. My new GoPro ran out of memory about this part of the trip ? . I should have purchased another one while we were in Gresham but I was occupied with other thoughts. My few other pictures were used in the trip report.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. You can tell from them just how good the was for this trip.

Vince

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Glad you saved those pictures from the cutting room floor.

Here’s one of my photos from my mountain bike
2c32c3dd4cdf969ec0bf60f8fd2353bf.jpg

ride up into the blast zone of MSH around 2004. Sorry, tilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eugene15

Adventurer
Not much I can add to Vince’s photos of our trip, as he pretty well covered it all. This was our first time to the PNW, and we were absolutely blown away by the beauty of the area. We have so many photos, but none can really do justice to what we saw. It’s something that must be seen in person. Thank you Vince, and Richard, the knowledge of these two guys just made the trip so informative and a pleasure.

3 Sisters area.JPG

The Tree Sisters Area

Fearless Leader.JPG

Our Fearless Leader

Sunrise Falls.JPG

Water Falls Near Sunrise

Dinner on the Barbie.jpg

Dinner on the Barbie

Wizard Is. Crater Lake.JPG

Wizard Island Crater Lake

Norther California Fire.jpg

Smoke from fire in northern California