Trip planning advice for Prescott, AZ to San Francisco, CA

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Am I nuts? Is this crazy? I'm helping my friend move to Prescott , AZ in mid to late August, and thinking about riding my KLR back to SF. I'd take thee days to do it.

Is this a foolhardy idea given the time of year and probable temps in the high 90's and above? I would be taking secondary roads primarily. Working my way over to Hwy 395 and coming home over Hwy 4 Ebbets Pass or something like that.

It's the getting to 395 from Prescott that has me stumped.

Still in the planning stages to see if this is something I want to do solo on the moto.

I know there are a lot of AZ folks who frequent this MC sub forum so that's why I'm posting here.

toddz69

Explorer
Am I nuts? Is this crazy? I'm helping my friend move to Prescott , AZ in mid to late August, and thinking about riding my KLR back to SF. I'd take thee days to do it.

Is this a foolhardy idea given the time of year and probable temps in the high 90's and above? I would be taking secondary roads primarily. Working my way over to Hwy 395 and coming home over Hwy 4 Ebbets Pass or something like that.

It's the getting to 395 from Prescott that has me stumped.

Still in the planning stages to see if this is something I want to do solo on the moto.

I know there are a lot of AZ folks who frequent this MC sub forum so that's why I'm posting here.

There are certainly sections of the route that will be quite toasty, although I've done it several times in a 4 wheeled vehicle, without air conditioning, in August. The heat will turn up a notch west of the Colorado River.

As a Prescott kid, I'll give you the first recommendation of heading north out of Prescott on Williamson Valley Road, following it all the way to Seligman on I-40.

Todd Z.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
There are certainly sections of the route that will be quite toasty, although I've done it several times in a 4 wheeled vehicle, without air conditioning, in August. The heat will turn up a notch west of the Colorado River.

As a Prescott kid, I'll give you the first recommendation of heading north out of Prescott on Williamson Valley Road, following it all the way to Seligman on I-40.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd,
I do expect it to be pretty darned toasty, but I've done plenty of riding in high temps. I'm usually with another rider though for stuff like this.

That Williamson Valley Road was exactly one of the routes I was thinking about. I assume it's all dirt? Can you describe the terrain? Google Street does not show me much, and google maps wont even let me set that route via auto. it does show it by bicycle though!

toddz69

Explorer
That Williamson Valley Road was exactly one of the routes I was thinking about. I assume it's all dirt? Can you describe the terrain? Google Street does not show me much, and google maps wont even let me set that route via auto. it does show it by bicycle though!

The first ~20 miles out of Prescott is on pavement and then it's dirt the rest of the way to I-40. The road is smooth and wide for the entire route. There are straight sections where I'd imagine you could travel 60-70 mph on a moto and I'm guessing you could easily average 40-45 mph if not higher for the entire route. It passes through ranching country for the most part, with the terrain being grass lands and scrub oak and a lot of juniper trees. Keep your eyes peeled for occasional cattle on the road.

Todd Z.

mkitchen

Explorer
As you said, doable but toasty

I rode my Yamaha through Death Valley in June and was surprised to see quite a few bikes there at that time of year. You will want to cross the Colorado as early as possible if you are going through lower than DV, such as going through Needles. You are welcome to make it here to Kingman in the evening, stay with us, and then cross the river very early then over to Barstow to Bakersfield. The Butler maps show Highway 53 as a very scenic ride west of I 5. Not knowing about 53, I have taken 46 west and once you get further west, it becomes pretty as well and from Paso Robles you can go over the coastal mountains to the coast.

The other option is LV NV, Death Valley, Lone Pine and north to what ever Sierra crossing you choose. The central valley of CA can be very warm as well but not un-bearable. You could also continue north on 95 and cross over to 395 via Hawthorne.

I have not ridden 53 and would be interested in how it is and I love the coast, it is very scenic and the speed is a bit slower (more KLR paced) and that would be my choice, but I have done the 395/95 quite a few times so that is also affecting my choice, 395 is a pretty ride and it is slower too. Slabbing on I 40 is just a grunt from Kingman to Mojave but the run from there is a bit of nice going over Tehatchapie, then going through Bakersfield is some more yuk. If you do go through Mojave (you would now have to get off of the highway to go through) stop at Primo's at the north end. They are just an old diner but they make a great burger and shake and certainly worth the detour.
You have a bunch of choices. Good luck on your route.
Mikey

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It really depends on your heat tolerance. I'm a complete mercury wimp. Our ride into Baja in late May included a couple stretches with temps over 100F and while I never felt miserable, it was teetering on the verge of it. A few weeks ago I rode from LA to Prescott on a new VStrom 1000. Going through Palm Springs the temperature broke 110F. Now that....sucked. Bigtime. I basically rode from slurpy to slurpy to cool myself. This with full mesh suit.

I would second Todd's suggestion to ride up Williamson Valley Road out of Prescott. It adds about 25 minutes to the regular all-paved route, but it's really a nice ride.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks Guys,
I'm definitely gonna head out on Williamson Valley Road out of Prescott. Is Route 66 worth taking out of Seligman?

I'm leaning towards making my way over to 395 and over the sierras as opposed to heading to the coast. Summer on the CA coast can be cold and foggy and windy.

Mickey, thanks for the offer to crash at your place. That's really cool. I'll let you know if I end up needing a place. I just might take you up on your offer.

As for riding in the hot temps.. Been there and done that lots so I know what I'm getting into.

mkitchen

Explorer
Compared to traveling on I-40 in approximately the same direction, I'd take 66 as much as you can.

Todd Z.

X2 On that. Riding 66 is almost a requirement for travel through Americano. And yes the offer still stands. I think going up 95, then over to 395 is a good choice. Lots of very nice roads over the Sierras.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Try West Side Lilo's Cafe

Depending on when you do come through Seligman, and just how much of a feed you feel like putting on, you might skip Snow Cap and head on over to Lilo's. Some of the best diner food a fellow can find and if you leave there hungry, it's your own fault.
Have you figured out the route from Kingman north/west yet. I am curious about which highway you are going on and where you are going to cross from 95 to 395. It should be a fun trip.
Mikey

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Depending on when you do come through Seligman, and just how much of a feed you feel like putting on, you might skip Snow Cap and head on over to Lilo's. Some of the best diner food a fellow can find and if you leave there hungry, it's your own fault.
Have you figured out the route from Kingman north/west yet. I am curious about which highway you are going on and where you are going to cross from 95 to 395. It should be a fun trip.
Mikey

What about taking 95 up to 6, head west to the 120 and go thru Yosemite? Early starts would keep the heat issues at a minimum.

Thanks for the food tip for Seligman.. It's in my GPS now.

For a route over to 395 I'm thinking of taking 95 and cutting over on 266 to CA where it meets 168 and heading over to 395, but The section of 395 from Big Pine to Mono does not look very exciting. I just might go all the way up to Tonopah at hwy 6 and cut over that way. I'm planning on taking 108 and steer clear of Yosemite. 108 is such a great ride.

AZchris

Adventurer
I second the Westside Lilo's stop. Great food and great people.

As for heat, I don't think it will be unbearable. I rode from Atlanta to Prescott, AZ (via FL, AL, MS LA TX, and NM) last August in temps at 100 degrees with freakish humidity in the south. As soon as I was west of Austin I was good-to-go without the humidity, so I don't think it will be that bad.

I suggest start every day early, stop every couple hours for a coke and a large bottle of water, and try to end your day my mid afternoon.

Have a great trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke