Trekboxx JKU cargo systems - taking orders and now on SALE!

MOguy

Explorer
This whole discussion is completely backwards! As the saying goes: "If you think price has anything to do with cost, you're doing it wrong". :)

Add another $1000 to the price, see if they keep selling. If they do, add another $1000 until orders slow down. Then, when you have a $6000 product keeping your production line busy, dream up a $4000 product and carefully place it into the market to cut only a small amount of your premium product's orders, yet add to your overall revenue.

You all realize this is a business, right?

A.

It is all about the market and supply and demand. If you have to compete with lessor quality items and it comes down to price you either haven't found your market or your market doesn't exist.

Last edited:

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
My intent was not to turn this into an argument but only an exchange of ideas.
Great! I appreciate it and am listening...
As far as my Jeep and adventure, overland, camping etc. space is at a minimum in a jeep esp a Wrangler. You need to think outside the Jeep.
I did, actually. These products were initially designed for and intended to be for the Land Cruiser and possibly Land Rover, G wagon, etc. I knew I would have to come in at the top of the market after the very first system I built. I honestly didn't think it was a "Jeep thing", either. But then I received loads of emails and comments from JK owners asking for one for the Jeep. So I made it. The price was never a secret. Here it is. I totally understand if some have no interest in paying that kind of money for a storage system. I'm really not knocking the less expensive systems. They all have a place. And my current customers believe that my products have a place in their rig.

MOguy

Explorer
Great! I appreciate it and am listening...

I did, actually. These products were initially designed for and intended to be for the Land Cruiser and possibly Land Rover, G wagon, etc. I knew I would have to come in at the top of the market after the very first system I built. I honestly didn't think it was a "Jeep thing", either. But then I received loads of emails and comments from JK owners asking for one for the Jeep. So I made it. The price was never a secret. Here it is. I totally understand if some have no interest in paying that kind of money for a storage system. I'm really not knocking the less expensive systems. They all have a place. And my current customers believe that my products have a place in their rig.

In TJ and maybe the JKs the center console wastes allot of space, there maybe a way to improve on it. I took out my center console a couple year ago. I just have a small ammo can there now and can place a decent size duffle bag there packed with what I need. People may want a better storage option there. Another place could be high up front between the roll bars. I built myself a shelf up there.

Your cabinets seems too expensive to me but if you can find people to buy it say build it.

RobRed

Explorer
wait... this conversation is still going on???

David your **** is over priced. Dont use richlite on the cutting boards. That expensive baltic birch you use... sack it and use home depot plywood with all the gaps in it. How dare you use those expensive full extension Accuride slides. Again Home Depot can save you with those Liberty ones. Cant you just rivet together that metal work? I'm sure it wont rattle. That awful custom Linex coating, are you kidding? Couldn't you just rip off some other design instead of pioneering these from the ground up? See I'm saving thousands on these "cabinets".

Actually I get MOguy's point of view - it doesn't contain any style, precision or quality. An ammo can and a duffle bag gets it done. He built it himself. Camping purist.

This would have been simpler if you told him these systems were made of unicorn tears, pixie dust and unobtanium - that's how you justify the cost.

MOguy

Explorer
wait... this conversation is still going on???

David your **** is over priced. Dont use richlite on the cutting boards. That expensive baltic birch you use... sack it and use home depot plywood with all the gaps in it. How dare you use those expensive full extension Accuride slides. Again Home Depot can save you with those Liberty ones. Cant you just rivet together that metal work? I'm sure it wont rattle. That awful custom Linex coating, are you kidding? Couldn't you just rip off some other design instead of pioneering these from the ground up? See I'm saving thousands on these "cabinets".

Actually I get MOguy's point of view - it doesn't contain any style, precision or quality. An ammo can and a duffle bag gets it done. He built it himself. Camping purist.

This would have been simpler if you told him these systems were made of unicorn tears, pixie dust and unobtanium - that's how you justify the cost.
Not sure why you feel the need to be an ***. You don't even have a Jeep. What do know about storage issues in a jeep? You are just trolling looking for an argument. He said he would listen so i gave him some ideas and you still want be a ********.

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
Not sure why you feel the need to be an ***. You don't even have a Jeep. What do know about storage issues in a jeep? You are just trolling looking for an argument. He said he would listen so i gave him some ideas and you still want be a ********.

Its what I'm good at. I mean... it is the internet... you know thick skins and all.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure you're an alright guy but if we were face to face in a pub I'd be busting your balls just as hard as I am here. In fairness I'm not looking for an argument at all I just didn't care for the way you presented yourself in this conversation. I do know something about Jeeps and storage issues - it's a reason I don't own one among others, but I will defer to your expertise. I'm sure David appreciated your ideas... followed up with "Your cabinets seems too expensive to me...".

MOguy

Explorer
Its what I'm good at. I mean... it is the internet... you know thick skins and all.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure you're an alright guy but if we were face to face in a pub I'd be busting your balls just as hard as I am here. In fairness I'm not looking for an argument at all I just didn't care for the way you presented yourself in this conversation. I do know something about Jeeps and storage issues - it's a reason I don't own one among others, but I will defer to your expertise. I'm sure David appreciated your ideas... followed up with "Your cabinets seems too expensive to me...".

I think they are too expensive BUT that is my opinion. In all the years of building Jeeps and being around jeeps I never seen anybody say I want thr best cabinets I can get. That is not to say somebody someone doesn't . Tuffy lock boxes are about as high dollar as I have seen. Others than that many opt for large bumper carriers with racks. Another issue is almost every jeeper I have met is more of a do it yourselfer. Built not bought is a term often used.

He makes a great product but the the Jeepers I have known have never expressed a desire for it. I was in the Military and every few years I moved and would hang out with another group of Jeepers so it isn't only few other Jeepers that I have known.

The JKU crowd does seen to be a little more spendy, maybe they will make it worth it for Dave.

Dave, go to Jeep specific forums, overlanding/camping/ going camping out of my jeep is getting more popular and see what type of market their is. I did google, your product to learn more about it and say a positive write up in i 8 mud forum. It seems people,having nothing but good things to say.

Maybe you could come in with a lesser expensive line that could appeal to a bigger audience, maybe that isn't what you are going for?

I don't know Dave but I hope he is successful. I would rather share my honest opinion with him as opposed to just telling him what he wants to hear.

Last edited:

patsfan

Observer
What is it that you don't understand?

It's like if you go to buy a wrist watch, you can spend $40 on a Timex or $30,000 on a Rolex, this guy is going after the luxury Market and you obviously will never buy his product. It's just different strokes for different folks.

MOguy

Explorer
What is it that you don't understand?

It's like if you go to buy a wrist watch, you can spend $40 on a Timex or $30,000 on a Rolex, this guy is going after the luxury Market and you obviously will never buy his product. It's just different strokes for different folks.

That is exactly right. If the $40 Timex does what you want and need it to do and you are happy with it then that will work. You may want to spend 30K on a watch because it is more substantial or impressive. It just depends on what you want or need. It is not wrong to get something you want even if you don't need it. As a seller you need to find the buyer.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
This is a simple case you get what you pay for. Trekboxx is a quality product with a quality price. If you want cheap than go cheap. If want something that fits perfect doesn't make noise and has been thoroughly thought out than pay the piper and get it if not don't knock the guy for making a great piece of gear or ask him to lower his standards to lower a price point. If I still had my jk I would have a trekboxx setting in the back of it. Nothing else comes close.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Hey all! I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm running a sale for the next week. I rarely do sales, but to be honest the heat this summer kicked my butt! I'd like to have those of you interested get a system while it's cooler under the welding helmet. Also, since these take a while to build, it avoids the last minute rush builds for a planned summer trip, etc.

Sale will run from Oct. 16th - 23rd. If you want a reminder sign up for my email list and I'll let you know what's going on.

Email list

Also, you can finance the system for 6 months interest free if that's an issue. Details HERE.

Thanks all!
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online