trek to Rainbow Bridge, March 2006 (revised to Sycamore Canyon)

WolfSoul

Observer
back ok?

Hey Mark,

I hope you and the rest of the Phoenix crew made it back ok. Any foul weather on the way?

Definitely a bummer that the trip didn't go as planned, but for me, I think it was for the best in the end. Within an half an hour of you leaving my house I made a succession of three trips to the porcelain altar to offer up a sacrifice of my stomach contents. The third time seemed to be the charm though, as I could keep food down after that. So I spent the rest of the evening resting and replenishing my nutrients and re-hydrating. I still have no idea what triggered the illness.

Assuming I would have had the same experience no matter where I was yesterday, I was much happier to have had it at home than while camping out in a cold, windy, rainy canyon. The only thing I had to worry about was convincing my wife that I was just sick, and that I didn't need to go to the hospital! (She has a rather cute tendency to over-react where my health is involved. :D )

At any rate, I just wanted to say it was great to meet you (and everyone else), even if it was only for a brief time on an less-than-completely successful trip.

I can't wait to see the rest of Sycamore Canyon!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Wolfie, your illness is easily explained. You simply had a violent physiological reaction to the fact that you were heading back to civilization after such a short time in the boonies. Your body was mad at your mind. :ylsmoke:

WolfSoul

Observer
goodtimes said:
Wolfie, your illness is easily explained. You simply had a violent physiological reaction to the fact that you were heading back to civilization after such a short time in the boonies. Your body was mad at your mind. :ylsmoke:

You may be on to something there . . . :D

articulate

Expedition Leader
WolfSoul said:
Within an half an hour of you leaving my house I made a succession of three trips to the porcelain altar to offer up a sacrifice of my stomach contents.

At any rate, I just wanted to say it was great to meet you (and everyone else), even if it was only for a brief time on an less-than-completely successful trip.

I can't wait to see the rest of Sycamore Canyon!
Oh, man! Sorry to hear about that. That would have sucked to be back there hunkering down in the tents AND having to run out in the rain to puke.

Well, we'll backpack again - and for "real." Like I said, Brooke and I have assigned the weekend of June 3 and 4 to make the second attempt on Rainbow Bridge. I'm not concerned about it being too hot. Last year same week we biked the south rim of Canyon de Chelly and it was perfect.

Consider it, fellas!

And if you want to day-trip Sycamore Canyon this Summer or sooner, I'll be down. :rappel:

A monumental moment in history happened with the rain storms. I drove out to Superior, AZ and the ENTIRE area from Apache Leap to beyond Globe is covered in about 18" of snow. COVERED. I've never seen that area with any more that scattered spots of snow. Apache Leap looked incredible.

Cheers,
Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I doubt I'll be able to go anywhere besides work the first weekend of June. I have permits for Aravaipa Canyon the weekend before that, and since I only get one weekend per quarter off, it isn't likely I can talk my way into two in a row.....

But only time will tell for sure....I never know what will happen with my schedule....

WolfSoul

Observer
That's cool about the snow. My parents got 30" at their place up near Payson. The first snow they've gotten all "winter" at that! Go figure.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to join in on the second attempt at Rainbow Bridge either. My wife and I are leaving June 4th for a three week adventure down in Brazil! So I'll be jealous, but only sorta. ;)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I moved this thread to "completed" and you can start a new one for the revised Rainbow trek. (including a link to this thread might be a good idea).

Hey, I hope you tell us more about this trip. Sounds interesting!

Wolfman, sorry to hear of the illness!

Mark, the Apache leap area sounds incredible with snow! I hope you had your camera with you and we get to see some pics!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks for moving the thread.....but "completed" is not where this belongs. :p

We didn't come prepared to cross waist-deep water in the canyoneering spirit. Sycamore Canyon (within the Pajarita Wilderness near Nogales) is worthy of a canyoneering/hiking trip when it's warmer. I pretty excited to go all the way to the Mexico-U.S. border on foot, so I'll have to go back sometime. We didn't really complete the hike.

backpacking1.jpg

I think this one is funny looking:
what.jpg

backs.jpg

canyon_1.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
I moved this thread to "completed" and you can start a new one for the revised Rainbow trek. (including a link to this thread might be a good idea).

Hey, I hope you tell us more about this trip. Sounds interesting!

Wolfman, sorry to hear of the illness!

Mark, the Apache leap area sounds incredible with snow! I hope you had your camera with you and we get to see some pics!
Entirely off topic, but the topic is dead anyway:

Apache Leap covered in snow:
apache_leap.jpg

I thought that was going to come out better, but if you know about Apache Leap you'll understand the magnitude of this snow dumping.

And Queen Creek Canyon along Highway 60:
queen_creek_canyon.jpg

Folks from places where it actually snows because it's supposed to probably don't understand the hoopla here. But this is 100% Sonoran Desert...

Cheers!
Mark

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Very Kewl pics Mark!

What setting do you use to get that sharp image and crystal blue sky>?!!!!!!!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Very nice Mark. We definately need to go back to Sycamore canyon when it is warmer and day-hike it. It was pretty nice in the rain though...I'm not a huge fan of hiking in the rain, but it was a good time giving it a honest try....

If nothing else, I had enough time at home this weekend to clean the house, wrap up my taxes (well, wrap them up enough for the CPA to take over), get a bunch of work done on the jeep (still have more to do), clean the garage (it was getting nasty....), and hold down the sofa for a while too. It worked out OK. I needed to spend some time straitening out the house. I feel better when I walk in the door now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online