trek to Rainbow Bridge, March 2006 (revised to Sycamore Canyon)

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
Yeah, they might not let you in.

:shakin: :shakin: :shakin:
:xxrotflma

MAN! What a shame you won't be coming. Sorry about the botched plan...next time, next time.

Stuff -
1. No worries about the permit $$$. Cancelled the check.
2. We'll meet at foofy Starbucks at Irvington and I-19 close to 8:00am

It should take us about an hour to get to the wilderness area, no?

We haven't had rain in a record amount of time, and when we have some cool-ass adventure planned....down it comes. hilarious.

We'll discuss another date for Rainbow Bridge.

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
I'm good with plan B and C. Short trip might be better since I will apparently be dragging my 500 pound "hotel" with me (if we're looking at rain, I want something a little more substantial than my bivy). Also less distance to "bail" if the need arises.

The only concern I have with meeting at Starbucks is that, well, it's starbucks. They don't like me there (I drink normal coffee....I'm not sure what they serve should be called coffee....it's more like hot foo-foo flavored girly coffee). Seriously, I'm OK with it....my house is about 10 minutes from Wolfies place, which is about 4 or 5 blocks from starbucks.

I guess this means I need to go aquire some rain gear.....

Anyone know of restrictions on animals in the area?

Animals, from Coronado Nat'l forest wilderness page:
Pack animals: Do your best to minimize the impacts your animals have on trails, campsites, water sources, and wildlife forage. Keep your party small -- 3 or 4 people, 5 or 6 animals maximum. Use picket ropes and highlines to hold animals. Do not tie animals to trees! Contact the local Ranger District office regarding the best practice for feeding your animals (grazing, hay, oats, pellets etc.). Some areas may be closed to pack animals due to overuse or fragile conditions. When breaking camp, naturalize disturbed areas and scatter manure piles.

WolfSoul

Observer
Starbucks at 8am it is, then.

Don't worry Brian, they won't like me either because I won't be buying anything there. Not a huge coffee drinker anyway, but certainly not at Starbucks prices! It is a convenient place to meet though.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on dogs there, so shouldn't be any concern there.

If memory serves, it takes about an hour to get to Nogales, so perhaps 90 minutes to get to Pajarita, since it won't be freeway all the way like it is to Nogy.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Great link SWR! I'll be saving that one for future reference.

stolen from previously mentioned link:

for nogy:

SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 5500 FEET.
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET. HIGHS 53 TO 58.
WINDY WITH SOUTH WIND 15 TO 25 MPH INCREASING TO SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30
MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40
PERCENT.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED RAIN SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL
5500 FEET. ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET. LOWS 34
TO 39. WINDY WITH SOUTHWEST WIND 20 TO 30 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS IN
THE EVENING. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW SHOWERS
MAINLY IN THE MORNING. HIGHS 51 TO 56. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40
PERCENT.

In other words, windy, wet, and cold.

WolfSoul

Observer
goodtimes said:
Yup....and "red-neck waterproofing" for the pack.

I may have a non-redneck waterproofing for your pack, if you want to borrow it. Depends on the size of your pack. I've got a small pack cover for Shan's pack and a huge one for mine. I was hoping to use Shan's for mine on this trip since I'm not going to have my pack nearly full, but not sure if I'll be able to use it or not. We can try one or the other on your pack if you want.

By the way, latest forecast:

SATURDAY: 50% chance of rain 55/35 temps
SUNDAY: 30% chance of rain 53/30 temps
MONDAY: CLEAR!!! Figures. :)

articulate

Expedition Leader
WolfSoul said:
I may have a non-redneck waterproofing for your pack, if you want to borrow it. Depends on the size of your pack. I've got a small pack cover for Shan's pack and a huge one for mine. I was hoping to use Shan's for mine on this trip since I'm not going to have my pack nearly full, but not sure if I'll be able to use it or not. We can try one or the other on your pack if you want.

By the way, latest forecast:

SATURDAY: 50% chance of rain 55/35 temps
SUNDAY: 30% chance of rain 53/30 temps
MONDAY: CLEAR!!! Figures. :)

Oh yeah, I pack along a few emergency $0.50 ponchos which work well for cheap bastards.

If it stays ovecast and cloudy with some sprinkles here and there, it might actually be pretty fun. The least the gods could do for us is go easy on the downpour since it's already going to be cold and windy.

Who inflicts such torture on themselves for fun? :D

Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Well, I *almost* got out of this one without buying any new stuff....but I don't like how my pack feels with this friggin 10+ pound tent on the bottom. Gotta go buy some new straps and move some stuff around.....see 'yall in the a'em.

WolfSoul

Observer
goodtimes said:
Well, I *almost* got out of this one without buying any new stuff....but I don't like how my pack feels with this friggin 10+ pound tent on the bottom. Gotta go buy some new straps and move some stuff around.....see 'yall in the a'em.

Are you going to leave your vehicle at my place and ride with me, Brian?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
uh....I dunno. I'm still trying to get down town to get some webbing (see previous post)....I got sidetracked in the garage (oops). I don't see much need to take 2 vehicles if we can fit in one.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

GT!!!!!!

Would you just GO Already! :camping:

I'm getting tired of worring about you!:ylsmoke:

.......hehe

goodtimes said:
uh....I dunno. I'm still trying to get down town to get some webbing (see previous post)....I got sidetracked in the garage (oops). I don't see much need to take 2 vehicles if we can fit in one.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Scenic WonderRunner said:
GT!!!!!!

Would you just GO Already! :camping:

I'm getting tired of worring about you!:ylsmoke:

.......hehe

Fear not, for I am indeed going (was there ever any question?). I just got side tracked with the jeep (rebuilt the front suspension last night). In fact, I am going RIGHT NOW! Well, as soon as I put my pack in the truck...after I finish loading it with crap....and find some water....and wash the dishes....and....(just kidding....I'm off in just a couple minutes).

:rappel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz