trek to Rainbow Bridge, March 2006 (revised to Sycamore Canyon)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark,

I've been watching your thread with interest. I would have liked to join you, but I just can't park my truck and walk away from it for days at a time. Plus, the WonderRunner is in the hospital again.

Too bad about the weather messing things up.

Let me know when you consider doing the Gila Wilderness. I've been checking it out on maps for idea's of places to explore this summer. Camping and doing day hikes works for me. Also saw the hot springs!:sunflower

Gila National Forest

Recreation Hot Springs

WOW!......now THIS is HOT!

Hiking the Gila Wilderness...........some trail info!

Aloha!.............Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I have hiked Sycamore, it's a sweet little canyon. Some really cool rock formations back in there including a hole you can barely (if at all) squeeze through.

My wife and I have explored a fair amount of the Gila including some incredible backpacking. I have been to a lot of the hot springs. That whole region is spectacular (and HUGE).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Sorry guys, but I am just slamed with work this week. I won't be much help with the planning, but would like to do *something* this weekend. Sycamore Canyon is one that I will eventually do...so I would definately be up for it this weekend, although it is pretty short, IIRC (6 or 7 miles????). Not sure about the other one you linked to (no time to be surfing...computer programs still have to be written). Even if we end up doing shorter hikes (even a one-nighter would be cool), I am good for that....but again, I won't be much help...heck, I don't even have my backpack here...it is still up at Jeff's house along with all my other backpacking gear (anyone wanna guess what I will be doing friday morning?)

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'd love to see that area you guys are looking at in southern AZ, might even be warm enough for a few snakes to be out down there, but I can't drive 600+ miles for a quick weekend trip. Bummer. I was looking forward to meeting you Mark. Oh well, another trip is always just around the corner. I think I'll take the weekend and work on a paper I've been working on for a while. The weather is turning bad here anyway. PM your PayPal amigo and I'll reimburse you for my permits.

WolfSoul

Observer
Pajarita, and other possibilities

I called the Nogales Ranger Station yesterday, and they apparently don't keep track of the water situation in Sycamore Canyon. She didn't sound all that interested in helping me out, so maybe she was just blowing me off though. At any rate, I didn't get any useful information.

That said, I'm definitely up for the Pajarita, but don't know how what everyone else is going to think of it due to the shortness of the trail. I'm totally content with backpacking in 4 miles or so then dayhiking and exploring what by all accounts is an amazing little piece of wilderness. We can shorten the trip up, as well. I've got so many things going on right now that I wouldn't mind a little time at home to work on them. But I certainly won't complain about more time in the wilderness either!! ;) But I'll leave it up to the rest of you on that.

There are some other possibilities that we can think about . . .

Eagletail Wilderness: west of Phoenix
There are 24 miles of trails in the Eagletails, and there are some interesting things up in the mountains. I read a story a while ago about someone finding a Native American sleeping circle that was so old that desert varnish had locked the rocks in place. How cool would that be to find!!

Hells Canyon Wilderness: west of Phoenix
There are only a few short trails in this wilderness, but the arroyos apparently make good travel corridors. There are sources of water in the Wilderness, but no word on exactly how reliable they are.

Organ Pipe National Monument: SW Arizona
I would propose the hike up to Mt. Ajo. It is short (at around 5 miles), but STEEP, climbing about 3800 feet (if memory serves). Camping near the top is a challenge, as there isn't much flat/level ground, but it is a truly amazing place. I did this one a couple of years ago and loved it (even though my legs were pure jelly by the time they carried me to the top).

Mark, since I'm assuming that there are no refunds on the hiking fees for Rainbow Bridge, I'll get the $15 to you when I see you this weekend.

WolfSoul

Observer
Forgot about the Hummingbird Springs Wilderness, also west of Phoenix

I've done this one before. There aren't any trails in the wilderness, but cross country travel is fairly easy. This is a wonderful little patch of desert in which you are very very unlikely to see another soul. The last time I was there, my friend and I found a water source that appeared as though it would be pretty reliable (though as dry as it has been lately, who knows . . .) It is definitely a neat place.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Possibilities

OK fellas -
The wind has been sucked out of my sails due to the weather problems at Rainbow Bridge. I still want to backpack, and I'm REALLY hoping for something with a destination. Parajita sounds interesting, but I'm confused as to the camp possibilities out there. So that makes me concerned. I've got a couple of green backpackers and I need to make sure I give them a GREAT first-time trip.

Eagletail Wilderness has my attention, for sure. Petroglyphs :)

Since we've got to formulate this at the somewhat last minute, I'm more comfortable doing something that is straight out of a guidebook (or something one of us has done before), 10-18 miles R/T. Squeeze it down to Saturday and Sunday - we could pack all of our water that way.

I know it's really close to you fellas in Tucson, but I've always been intrigued by the Cochise Stronghold. Backpacking posibilies there? How about Mount Lemmon/Pusch Ridge areas?

I'll do some reading tonight and see what I can come up with.

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
OK! after talking with my cute wife, we're more excited about the Pajarita Wilderness.

Brian and Brian: wanna meet in Tucson at some coffee shop or one of your -houses on Saturday morning? Say 7-8 in the morning? (would that be early enough?)

I poached this from hikeaz.com:
When most Arizona hikers hear the words "Sycamore Canyon," a certain red rock canyon near Sedona usually comes to mind. But there is another Sycamore Canyon, this one in the Pajarita Wilderness on the border with Mexico, which is just as spectacular and has a few unique attractions all its own.

From the trailhead, follow the trail (an old jeep road) across a small field and a wash. Very quickly, you will come to a FS interpretive sign telling you about the Hank and Yank Ruins. On this site was the ranch of John (Yank) Bartlett and Henry (Hank) Hewitt, two trappers and army scouts. In 1886 the ranch was attacked by Indians, who killed a neighbor and injured Hank. Yank's son Johnny made a daring escape and brought help from nearby Oro Blanco. All that remains is a crumbling adobe wall.

Continue on the trail past the ruins. It quickly drops into the canyon. The trail through the first part of the canyon is overgrown and somewhat tough to follow. It is not an actual designated and maintained trail, but rather a use trail that has developed. The trail disappears whenever the canyon slots up and fades in and out otherwise. However, route finding is no hassle. Just stick to the canyon and you should be fine.

After about 1/2 mile, Sycamore Canyon begins to reveal its wonders. You will come into a large basin type area. A small waterfall trickles down into a pool filled with dozens of minnows. The craggy canyon walls reveal many pinnacles and hoodoos. The trail scrambles on top of a small outcrop with a small campsite and a nice view. Just past this outcrop comes the first slot of the canyon. A fallen tree welcomes you in. To get past this part, you must be willing to do a small bit of climbing/scrambling on the right canyon wall. This canyon does place a premium on agility. However, hikers who are not so sure footed can avoid all this by simply wading in the knee-deep creek. The canyon stays rather narrow for awhile past this point, so rock-hopping is necessary, but the scenery more than makes up for it. After a few more twists and turns, the canyon opens up again and the walking becomes easy along gravel stream beds. You will encounter your first of this canyon's white-barked namesake. This part of the canyon is not only protected by wilderness status, but has also been designated as the Gooding Natural Research Area. Sycamore Canyon is apparently the habitat for rare and unusual plants and fish too numerous to list. So, please, tread lightly!

At 2.7 miles, the canyon enters another narrow bottleneck. This one is easier to navigate than the first. After scrambling through rocks, the canyon opens up yet again. This is a decent turnaround point, or, if you want, you can continue down the canyon to the Mexican border. The creek is flowing through small foothills at the border, and a barbed wire fence impedes further progress. Turn around and go back the way you came.

Thoughts?

I checked out the Eagletail's Ben Avery trail, and that looks more like a worthy day trip to see the petroglyphs and back out. Another time, perhaps?

I'm down. All roads lead back to Tucson, as Roger Clyne says.

If it's raining, It'll likely be OK....just wet. If it's miserable.....we bail, go back to Tucson and drink. Get a tastey chimichanga somewheres authentic.

Lookit that! Plan B and Plan C.

Mark

Last edited:

WolfSoul

Observer
Cochise Stronghold

I've done Cochise Stronghold before. Definitely an awesome area. The trip I did had a really well maintained trail, and we camped in a saddle with awesome views. And plenty of opportunities to simply explore amongst the rocks and look for the grave of Cochise, who was buried somewhere nearby in a secret place known only to a handful of his warriors.

When I was there it was about this time of year, and it was chilly, rainy, and windy. It was an unexpected storm, so we weren't very well prepared. The conditions weren't horrible even unprepared, but it have been much nicer if we had been prepared. Still a great trip though. It's a mystical place, and I certainly wouldn't mind going back.

The hike we did was pretty short, maybe 4 miles one way, done as an overnighter, and about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain. The saddle we camped at had some pretty good places to pitch perhaps three tents, with mediocre places to pitch 2-3 more. I certainly don't mind taking a mediocre spot.

I think this is roughly the route we took:
http://thebeckoning.com/explorations/hikes/backpacking/cochise-stronghold2003/cochise-route.gif

Next post: Pajarita Wilderness

WolfSoul

Observer
Pajarita Wilderness

I didn't realize that a couple of folks on the trip were backpacking greenhorns. Obviously you know them better than I, but Pajarita might be a little much for someone who has never backpacked before. It's definitely short, so no problem there, but parts of the canyon hiking might be a little challenging it sounds like. :rappel: Of course, it's probably nothing that a little teamwork can't overcome! :luxhello: I know I've had to carry my pack through something, then go back and carry my wife's pack through it as well because she wasn't comfortable doing so. And it sounds like the potentially challenging sections are short enough.

Ok, so maybe I've just talked myself out of it being too tough. :xxrotflma: Certainly should be a beautiful trip, which is always a good way to start one's backpacking career.

Our route would look something like this I imagine:

http://thebeckoning.com/explorations/hikes/backpacking/pajarita2006/pajarita-route.gif

Here's a close-up of the end of the route I mapped:

http://thebeckoning.com/explorations/hikes/backpacking/pajarita2006/pajarita-zoom.gif

We could possibly camp up Penasco Canyon as well. Or at least explore it. The last "horseshoe bend" in the canyon is at about mile 2.7, which is where the trip report said the canyon becomes really narrow.

WolfSoul

Observer
Thoughts

I'm ok with meeting early Saturday morning to start, and actually kind of like the overnighter idea. I just got the rest of my soccer schedule and I've got a game Sunday night at 6:30. Since a lot of my team is injured, it would be best if I was there. Not the end of the world if I'm not though.

Between Cochise Stronghold and Pajarita, I have no strong preference. Pajarita would be new to me, which is always exciting, but Cochise Stronghold is a really cool place to go again, so whatever.

WolfSoul

Observer
Rain here too

Just checked the weather for Tucson, Benson (Cochise Stronghold area) and Nogales (Pajarita area). All show 20-30% chance of rain for Sat/Sun. So less chance than Rainbow Bridge, but still a chance.

The Pajarita could share some of the same concerns as Rainbow Bridge in foul weaher i.e. flash flooding in a narrow canyon.

Although we will certainly be hiking in/near washes at Cochise Stronghold, we wouldn't be anyplace that didn't have an escape route.

In either case, I'd recommmend rain gear and a good tent! :camping:

articulate

Expedition Leader
WolfSoul said:
I'm ok with meeting early Saturday morning to start, and actually kind of like the overnighter idea. I just got the rest of my soccer schedule and I've got a game Sunday night at 6:30. Since a lot of my team is injured, it would be best if I was there. Not the end of the world if I'm not though.

Between Cochise Stronghold and Pajarita, I have no strong preference. Pajarita would be new to me, which is always exciting, but Cochise Stronghold is a really cool place to go again, so whatever.
Sweet info!

OK, so since I'm getting the picture that you've friggin' backpacked everywhere.... :) We'll have to get together and do more of this!

Cochise sounds way cool with the rocks....GRRRRR....!

But let's keep with Parajita, cool? We'll see if we can't get your wife to come on the next one, and we'll do Cochise. Or Rainbow Bridge when the weather is reasonable. :jumping:

Is there a good meeting place in Tucson for us? I'm bouncing the ball back to you for a meeting spot. I don't know Tucson that well. I can get to Summit Hut and Mount Lemmon highway. :ylsmoke:

Thanks,
Mark

WolfSoul

Observer
Pajarita is totally cool with me. We can keep an eye on the sky and an ear to the ground. Though I haven't plotted a route exactly, I think there are other ways to get back to the vehicles without much trouble should rains prevent us from going back up Sycamore Canyon. And after reading that report again, it sounds like there are only a couple of fairly short stretches where we'd be locked in to a slot (with no escape routes).

And I guess if all else fails, the fence at the border will stop us from floating too far! :xxrotflma:

As for a meeting spot, I've got two suggestions:

1) I live about 3 minutes off of I-19, which is how we'll be heading south towards Pajarita

2) Even closer to the freeway is a Starbucks that we could meet at. It's at 1209 W. Irvington (Irvington and I-19), and they open at 5am (just called). It's only like a block west of the freeway. Get off the freeway at Irvington and go west (right) to the first stop light. Turn left into the shopping center there, and it's in a medium sized building on the right. The shopping center is very large, with a Home Depot, Food City, Target, and a bunch of other stuff. The building with the Starbucks in it is just to the southwest of the McDonalds.
http://dexonline.com/servlet/Action...ingID=1&primaryProductID=186&resultForm=BASIC

Either place would be convenient for Brian and I, and would also be convenient for you south-bounders.

COOL!! I've finally got a trip planned for the Pajarita! I've been wanting to go there for a long time now. It's a bummer that it has come at the expense of a pack to Rainbow Bridge though.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm good with plan B and C. Short trip might be better since I will apparently be dragging my 500 pound "hotel" with me (if we're looking at rain, I want something a little more substantial than my bivy). Also less distance to "bail" if the need arises.

The only concern I have with meeting at Starbucks is that, well, it's starbucks. They don't like me there (I drink normal coffee....I'm not sure what they serve should be called coffee....it's more like hot foo-foo flavored girly coffee). Seriously, I'm OK with it....my house is about 10 minutes from Wolfies place, which is about 4 or 5 blocks from starbucks.

I guess this means I need to go aquire some rain gear.....

Anyone know of restrictions on animals in the area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles